Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door motor

S

Staff 2

First posted by Martin

My Cali is still under warranty so will probably get this checked out next time it goes in but I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the side door when closing it (when the motor pulls the final part in) Well, every now and then the motor does not activate on mine and the door will not close all the way but as with a lot of problems it only happens about one in twenty times so you can bet it won't happen when it goes into VW.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks

Martin

First posted by timbattan

Yes, ours has done the same every so often...... but never when it has been at the VW Van centre for other work. It's now out of warranty, so hope it doesn't get any worse.

First posted by freeley

Not had that, but our door does seem to have a life of it's own sometimes - it's opened and closed by itself on occasion (only when stationary), it's closed 3/4 of the way and opened again repeatedly to the point i've had to switch it off on the dash, and the other week it died completely and had to be used manually which is very difficult because of the resistance of the motor - only to spring back into life an hour later and has been fine since.

Like everyone else's though it works perfectly when it's at the local stealer.

First posted by Berndros

Mine came off the top rail and broke the small electrical thingy that I guess senses what's going on. Managed to get door back on the rail and had to use it on manual for a couple of months pending finding a garage to repair it under warranty.

First posted by Chris

I had the strip replaced ( under warranty .) The rubber on the leading edge is the sensor. It seems it can get crushed and short circuits so on some occasions would start to slide and then swing back, scaring the crap out of me. I used the over ride switch on the dash until ASHFORD van centre replaced it.

First posted by Martin

My Cali is still under warranty so will probably get this checked out next time it goes in but I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the side door when closing it (when the motor pulls the final part in) Well, every now and then the motor does not activate on mine and the door will not close all the way but as with a lot of problems it only happens about one in twenty times so you can bet it won't happen when it goes into VW.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks

Martin
Mine has just done that Martin...then got better, now happened again within 5 openings
Did you find a solution?
It won't close the last bit atall now, luckily still locks ok

Last edited:
Welshgas or hotelcalifornia, feel free to give advice, as the fonts of so much knowledge.
I have tried the two ideas mentioned in other posts, shutting the door with another open or pushing the back of the door, or starting the engine with the door open so the van knows it is not shut.
It does shut and shows door shut on the dash, and locks, but it is not totally closed as the motor hasn't kicked in.
I was wondering about calling VW assist??

Can't you just give it a good slam, that's what cured mine on the odd ocasion it doesn't work as it should.

Yep Snowey, tried that....no effect...
Tried it again....
Then I tried real gently.....sort of sneaking up on it to take it by surprise
It does one click, when the motor would have kicked in, then as I push harder, a second click that I think means it is in a position to lock...but no whirring , and ever so slightly open

Sorry, I've never had this problem. I presume either a sensor is not triggering the motor or there is no power to the motor. Check the contacts, male and female on the leading edge of the door and rear of the B pillar. That's how the door gets power.
Also try shutting the door then lock and unlock with the remote. When locked, is the sliding door locked?

Thanks Welshgas, the contacts look pristine, and I have tried every variety of lock and unlock
It stopped then worked then stopped again, which is a bit loose wire sounding
Do you know which fuse it is. I looked on the fuse download but couldn't see one.
I am just off for the school run, that may jigger it back.
Hotel may know after his Cali strip down lessons

Page 14 & 23 . There are a number of fuses.
The Fuse Document you need is the last one in the list T5 Fuse Layout.

Thanks.
Interestingly is started working. Then stopped again.
The motor kicks in on the second click, when it is working.
My guess is a contact is almost falling off, but sometimes I have known fuses to be on and off before total failure.
I will check.
Are you going to the April meet by the way??

Thanks.
Interestingly is started working. Then stopped again.
The motor kicks in on the second click, when it is working.
My guess is a contact is almost falling off, but sometimes I have known fuses to be on and off before total failure.
I will check.
Are you going to the April meet by the way??
Cannot make April but will be at the Summer one.

Could it be it gives a faulty code and the computer needs a read out?
did not had it on mine ....think that the last part closing by a motor is a useless bit ...vw should have left it out.

Hi hotel, trouble is the door won't slam completely shut, it is slightly open.
My front seat fuses are different to the diagrams on the forum.
SF 34 does not exist, infact there are not any 40 amp fuses at all there.

How can I get a fault code read out?

You need a VW diagnose computer ,
Did you try to close the doors with the remote while the sliding door is open ......?
Could be the lock is (jammed) not in the right position?
The fuse of the door engine?
Push the button on the driversdoor for closing all doors?
Try everything you can or visit your dealer.

I have tried all them hotel
It is something to do with trigerring or the functioning of the little closing motor.
I guess I have tried everything, so looks like dealer it is, I am still under warranty

By some coincidence, my electric side door has ceased to function. No magic openy, no magic closey. Flashing door lock button on dash. I ran a full scan using VCDS and it says "Electrical fault". Yeah, thanks for that! :cool: dealer for me too!

Do not mix-up
Fully electric sliding door ...and
The manual sliding door that has a motor for pulling the last few cm.

Thanks for that. I won't! The little motor that closes the last little bit has also stopped in my fully electric door.

All those electrical features are unnessecary imo.
Also on the boothdoor
Electic seats , what is wrong with pulling a handle to adjust your seat.
Electric mirrors , once in position .....no use
Even electric windows for me would be no problem if it just had a good old swing...

Well atleast I am not alone
Let know how you get on
Should I ring the assist people first?
They do carry the VW Diagnostic computer system.