Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door motor

CYCLOPATH, is yours the full electric door or are you talking about the standard motor that just does the final closing?

Is it not taking advantage of the system calling the assist ,
I have never had a car with a warranty before!
Is it not like going to a and e with a sore throat, you should save assist for real road side emergancies??

I get this occasionally, I think Motacyclist does too, when it happens shut door manually than put keys in ignition turn on then off and try door again. The ignition on bit usually resets mine, think it is a common glitch and not a part failure.

Thanks, I tried that, no help
I also tried putting ignition on with door open, as suggests by someone else,
So it recognised door open
Still no luck.
It did work a couple of times yesterday
But nothing seems to work today
Makes me think it is a loose wire?

NOOOOO
it suddenly started working again,,,,,,,after 2 days off
For no reason , I hadn't even turned on the ignition.
Now there is no point in going to the garage I guess, as there will be nothing to find.
And I will have to risk it breaking in the middle of a long holiday when staying in some dodgy town.
Martin, in one of your posts, y said you were going to talk to the garage about a similar problem

Hi cyclopath intermittent faults on anything are a pain in the bum but on your pride and joy it's even worse. If it's under warranty I would still take it in even if they don't find anything the fault has been logged. Then if it happens when it's out of warranty you can refer to its first occurrence when it was in warranty. Hope you get it sorted!

I should do that Yorkdubshire,
From what I have read here, I am a bit reluctant to got VW messing about with it. But I am sure I must.
Out of interest, is it eaisy to take the inside panel off the side door.
I am not sure which bit to pull , and don't want to break off delicate tabs.
I would like to just check out the wires on the various switches , door handle and the shutting motor.

That's a great find Welshgas, thanks.
I will add that link to my favourites.
I must resist stripping the whole van down , until the warranty is up.

I get this occasionally, I think Motacyclist does too, when it happens shut door manually than put keys in ignition turn on then off and try door again. The ignition on bit usually resets mine, think it is a common glitch and not a part failure.
Yes I get the problem occasionally.

When it happens, it fixes itself after I slam it shut. I think occasionally it doesn't release the door on opening then the van's brain get's mixed up and thinks the door is still shut so doesn't pull it in.

After all,the Cali model is getting on a bit now so is probably suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's.

I did a video (here) which I sent to the dealer so at least it's on record.

Just read the topic and removed those servo motors from both doors in my configuration.. :)

Just read the topic and removed those servo motors from both doors in my configuration.. :)
You're not going to have much left in you're Configuration at this rate. They do not cause that many problems as shown by the numbers on this thread that have had a problem. Does avoid waking the neighbours when on campsite, because without you often have to give a healthy slam, certainly cannot do it quietly.
Mines a daily driver so the sliding door is used very frequently, unlike some, and no problems so far. Your choice.
Don't forget Electric windows fail, windscreen wipers, headlights, fridge, water pump. Where does it end?

Yes I get the problem occasionally.

When it happens, it fixes itself after I slam it shut. I think occasionally it doesn't release the door on opening then the van's brain get's mixed up and thinks the door is still shut so doesn't pull it in.

After all,the Cali model is getting on a bit now so is probably suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's.

I did a video (here) which I sent to the dealer so at least it's on record.
You do get yours shut with a good slam, mine makes a very solid clumk, like something is blocking it closing......Maby my slam isn't as much as it should be.....I will try harder next time........
Thanks

I've only just got around to taking a proper look at mine. Should have done it at the time really but you live and learn. I re-seated all the fuses and now have a magic openey / closey door again.

Hi, related to the sliding door and electric lock.

I pick up my Cali next week, a late T5 model. The salesman at the dealer advised that the side door should not be left open as it drains the power on the battery. That seems strange as I had visions of leaving door open, sitting outside and enjoying the view.

Can anyone confirm if the power does drain when door is open? I assume switching off lights would help. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thats the first time hearing this , if anyone else been also been informed this way please do tell.
Can not see how leaving the sliding door open could drain the battery ?

Thats the first time hearing this , if anyone else been also been informed this way please do tell.
Can not see how leaving the sliding door open could drain the battery ?
Thanks Hotel California, I thought it seemed strange as photos show people sat outside under the awning. However salesman was adamant that it will drain the battery. Strangely he claimed the same did not apply to the rear door

The only way I can see it draining the battery is if it's set so the courtesy light comes on; we always have ours switched off. Regarding the back door, there is a light at lower left hand side which comes on irrespective of the courtesy light setting but this times out after a set period.

Sounds nonsense to me, like when I tell our 3yo grandaughter to be quiet or she will use up her voice; but even she's not that daft to believe me! :D