Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door table storage

californiakid

californiakid

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Can anyone confirm whether the table release handle is spring loaded.
Came back today, opened door and table fell between door and step.
Removed it after a struggle but table damaged from falling onto road+doortrim scuffed to.:rage

Probably happened to most of us with the same scuffing result! Sometimes you think it is clicked in OK but it isn't quite 100% there. You need to really push the table in against the door and really push the latch down fully then always give the table a good tug at each end to check.

No - not it's not spring loaded. You have to push the catch firmly back down to be sure it is firmly locked back in.

I 'lost' mine a couple of times until I sussed it out but fortunately it only dropped onto grass in a campsite.

Same "scuffing" result for us after a passenger mistook the table release for the door handle!

Yes, you do need to be careful. Sometimes the table release gets stuck and the table is not secure. Casual passengers? Open and close the door for them - they will think you are being so polite;). Family members? Run the Camper Centrum videos for them.;)

Run the Camper Centrum videos for them
Love it - compulsory training before they are allowed to touch anything. Are you providing certificates?

Perhaps the club should set-up the VWCC University - anything Trump can do ............

Last edited:
Love it - compulsory before they are allowed to touch anything. Are you providing certificates?

Perhaps the club should set-up the VWCC University - anything Trump can do ............
No worries! Certificates, Accreditation, NVQ's, Degrees.........very open to demand....;)

No worries! Certificates, Accreditation, NVQ's, Degrees.........very open to demand....;)
We had an old family friend in the states who had converted a Greyhound bus into a motorhome. On your first trip onboard he would play an "instruction cassette" which he'd recorded with all the house rules, such as economic use of the shower!

I've never had a problem with the table but I couldn't stop the candelabra from rattling so I keep that in the boot now.

Yeah, mine's fallen out a couple of times too. Is there supposed to be anything in the space behind the table?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yeah, mine's fallen out a couple of times too. Is there supposed to be anything in the space behind the table?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
No. But useful for some additional storage.

No - not it's not spring loaded. You have to push the catch firmly back down to be sure it is firmly locked back in.

I 'lost' mine a couple of times until I sussed it out but fortunately it only dropped onto grass in a campsite.
The table in my T5 does seem to be spring-loaded and the catch clicks in to place when the table is located correctly and pushed in firmly. Last year it stopped doing this so that I had to manually push the catch in. It went back to SMG under warranty and it's been fine ever since.

The table in my T5 does seem to be spring-loaded and the catch clicks in to place when the table is located correctly and pushed in firmly. Last year it stopped doing this so that I had to manually push the catch in. It went back to SMG under warranty and it's been fine ever since.
Interesting - maybe it should have a spring and its never worked. It'll be going in for 12 month service very soon so I'll play dumb and report it as a warranty issue.

Yeah, Mine appears to be spring loaded, you can feel when it has located correctly.... sometimes takes 2 atempts.

Yeah, Mine appears to be spring loaded, you can feel when it has located correctly.... sometimes takes 2 atempts.

Thanks for that, had mine replaced under warranty plus new table which was damaged after getting trapped between door and step.

When attaching the table for use, there are two pull out arms with a small plastic piece on the end which locate in the slot on the side beneath the window. When putting it in place, I didn't push it home firmly enough and snapped the plastic! Looks like I need a new table.

As a matter of interest there are 2 bungee cords behind our 'Door Table'. I assume this is for storage.

What does everyone use that storage area for??

As a matter of interest there are 2 bungee cords behind our 'Door Table'. I assume this is for storage.

I think you’ll find that these cords prevent the table from rattling in transport. If you can store items behind all well and good.

I think you’ll find that these cords prevent the table from rattling in transport. If you can store items behind all well and good.
There does seem to be an indent space though. Perhaps its for a table cloth.

There does seem to be an indent space though. Perhaps its for a table cloth.
You could be right, but when you engage the table into the door there is always resistance against the cords. I assumed this was to prevent the dreaded rattle when driving.

Vinyl Table cover.

Back