Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side pipes - are they just bling or do they serve a practical purpose?

Deskman

Deskman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Most sidebars are nothing more than bling. They are just too lightweight (thin walled tubes) to serve as sliders and most are only mounted on 2 or 3 places to the body which is not enough to carry the 2,5 ton of a loaded Cali. I think the only bars that serve well for this purpose are the (not very visible) Seikel bars.

I think a Cali don't need this kind of bling but I probably belong to a minority.

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I like the sound of the Siekel ones. My good lady beached our Touran on its sill and it was not an easy fix. A little bit of bling and protection would be good but would need to see a Cali with them fitted.
Presume it's something I could get done on my travels. Can't find a UK company on the WWW
Edit: found one

http://www.coastvw.co.uk/seikel-en/t5-side-protection-bar-swb

Mike

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The problem with side bars not giving protection is the mounts are not strong enough. Can get side bars that fix to a subframe that bolts to the chassis & should offer more protection.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ciki62

Ciki62

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Most sidebars are nothing more than bling. They are just too lightweight (thin walled tubes) to serve as sliders and most are only mounted on 2 or 3 places to the body which is not enough to carry the 2,5 ton of a loaded Cali. I think the only bars that serve well for this purpose are the (not very visible) Seikel bars.

I think a Cali don't need this kind of bling but I probably belong to a minority.
Hi. Any experience with seikel side bars? They are on my watch list.

Ikr,.

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Seems they have 2 in stock... ;)
Yep! They look good but I'm going to have to see a set fitted and ad it's something I can get done later I shall wait.

Mike

Mark Garrett

Mark Garrett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can bars support an adults weight (ahem, say 80-90 Kgs?), if it helps the kids get in and out, thats a handy thing?

I dont like the look of the steps available, but assume that its the same mounting points for either bars saor steps...

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
There appears to be a huge variety of side bars available as well as varying costs.

I've located so many web sites I'm confused as to which are the"best bang for buck". Specifically chrome.

I know from reading numerous threads on the topic I need "OEM style" to not block access to jacking points.

Apart from VW direct can anybody a particular make/brand from their own experiences pls?

[VW := £412.50 fitted EXCL VAT] https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/e...sories.html#item=6&gallery=149572794699241850

Thx

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
..... surprised I've had no response to this. I would have expected at least a few recommendations based on personal experience with respect to OEM side bars.

westfalia

westfalia

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Specifically chrome.
I wouldn't go for chrome ones as they easily get rust spots on em.I got
mine at the Vanfest ( stainless steel ) and are a bit shorter to allow access for jacking
cost i think, 180 and fitted myself.

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I wouldn't go for chrome ones as they easily get rust spots on em.I got
mine at the Vanfest ( stainless steel ) and are a bit shorter to allow access for jacking
cost i think, 180 and fitted myself.

Stainless I meant sorry

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I had no issues with stainless steel VW side bars 5 years no rust spots. However as said before VW black ones quickly started to flake.