Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink slow to empty

S

stanadey

VIP Member
We've just had our first real trip in our (2nd hand) Cali. During the trip the sink has always been slow to empty so I have decided to give it a clean out. Is it normal for water to drain very slowly or does it need some attention such as checking for a kinked pipe.
Thanks for any comments on this.

Is your van pre 2012? you can buy a kit from VW which will allow it to empty much faster, Give Steve at SMG a call as I think they hold them in stock.

I've met a few owners who have solved this problem by simply taking out the U-bend.
The water drains much more quickly they say.
But since the U-bend is an odour trap this might not be an ideal solution for those of us who don't drain the grey water tank every couple of days. Indeed, even with the U-bend intact the smell can be dreadful when the basin plug is taken out.

Granny jen tip #53: Tip van to left.

Granny jen tip #53: Tip van to left.
Thanks for the replies, particularly martin and bvddobb who have provided good solutions. Our van is a 2010 model so it does have the narrow bore waste pipe.

The solution in the older thread is excellent, though I found only the new elbow/siphon (part # 7E7068167) and gasket (part # 7E7068177A) are necessary at a cost of £9.88 including VAT. Ten minutes to fit and a little more to modify the drawer to clear the lower trap.
Thank you.

our sink is soooo slow to drain. My husband has taken the drain pipe off to clean but not made much difference. Do others have this problem? Thank you

Pretty standard. I think newer vans are better. I find if you fill the sink it drains quite quickly until the last inch or so.

There are threads on here listing the newer part numbers to upgrade the performance to that of the newer models. Worth a search. I think the parts are about £15.

The solution in the older thread is excellent, though I found only the new elbow/siphon (part # 7E7068167) and gasket (part # 7E7068177A) are necessary at a cost of £9.88 including VAT. Ten minutes to fit and a little more to modify the drawer to clear the lower trap.
Thank you.
This solution worked for me, made a big difference.

Tom