Ski trip - topper or don't bother?

Soton Campers

Soton Campers

Southampton Campers
VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. My van is being taking on a ski trip, not by me but by someone else. I have the Cross Climate SUV tyres ready to go and the snow chains. Now the question is what to do with the roof. It's for a snow boarder so if we store the board on the roof then that'll need roof bars and then that reduces my options for a topper. Or perhaps we store the board inside in the gap where the additional underbench drawer would go, but we don't have. I'm basically a bit concerned that if the roof is up and it snows, will the mechanism freeze? I don't have the bike rack that goes on the tailgate. Any snowboarders or skiers can speak from experience? The rainbow screen would allow me to still use the roof bars and will help keep everything warm but it leaves the roof mechanism exposed, so back to my worrying about it freezing and causing a problem lowering the roof.

Any ideas people?

Hi all. My van is being taking on a ski trip, not by me but by someone else. I have the Cross Climate SUV tyres ready to go and the snow chains. Now the question is what to do with the roof. It's for a snow boarder so if we store the board on the roof then that'll need roof bars and then that reduces my options for a topper. Or perhaps we store the board inside in the gap where the additional underbench drawer would go, but we don't have. I'm basically a bit concerned that if the roof is up and it snows, will the mechanism freeze? I don't have the bike rack that goes on the tailgate. Any snowboarders or skiers can speak from experience? The rainbow screen would allow me to still use the roof bars and will help keep everything warm but it leaves the roof mechanism exposed, so back to my worrying about it freezing and causing a problem lowering the roof.

Any ideas people?

Good evening
I just put the snowboard behind the passengerseat secured with some bungey cords. When arriving I take the board and lay it under the sliding door. That‘s it. Works of corse only with 2 people. Gap is also a good idea.
Re the roof and cold temp, never done it.

Cheers
sapto

Good evening
I just put the snowboard behind the passengerseat secured with some bungey cords. When arriving I take the board and lay it under the sliding door. That‘s it. Works of corse only with 2 people. Gap is also a good idea.
Re the roof and cold temp, never done it.

Cheers
sapto
Never done it, as in never bothered with a topper or did you always leave the roof down?

We do have a topper and use it often in winter. However never been camping (on a camping place) next to the slopes. I sometimes slept in the garage next to the cablecar station and "stealth" camped there (aka left the roof down).

Ditch the roof box, so you can access areas with 2m barriers.
I have been and didn’t bother with roof cover, however both occasions we only had light snow.

I can see the advantage if it were to snow heavy to cover the roof mech.
Otherwise I can’t see the point of the roof covers.

It was about -15 in Aviemore last Jan when we were there and the mechanism was absolutely fine. I have an isotop inner liner fitted, so don’t need a topper.

Wet snow that then froze could be an issue I guess, you could brush it off before that happens.

The snowboard went between the seats flat and the skis through the ski hatch.

Hope helps,

I’m taking our Cali to Camping Resort Zugspitze near Garmisch in February; the pitch has its own private bathroom . I usually drive down to go skiing every year, but first time with the van. I’ll put winter tyres on, just looking at my options with my local VW dealer. Probably won’t do any roof topper, and undecided on the skis; transit down they’ll be inside and back and fore to the lifts maybe on the bike rack.

I’m taking our Cali to Camping Resort Zugspitze near Garmisch in February; the pitch has its own private bathroom . I usually drive down to go skiing every year, but first time with the van. I’ll put winter tyres on, just looking at my options with my local VW dealer. Probably won’t do any roof topper, and undecided on the skis; transit down they’ll be inside and back and fore to the lifts maybe on the bike rack.

Sounds like the campsite I stayed at, for a couple of nights in the summer

4F4B0880-DA71-468F-903D-EDE0A45AD434.jpeg

Pic in post #5 was there. Great place! Enjoy!

I have used mine in Norway down to -25 ish with a roof box or boards on the roof.
203779C3-32AA-4B29-9728-B8A6675C4E27.jpeg

If it’s calm the outer covers are reasonable at helping to keep the pop top warmer and do a good job of keeping snow out of the roof mechanism.

BB27DC79-C3DC-4CF5-A6B6-04319D2A6D54.jpeg

However, the one I have, flaps so much in windy conditions, I don’t think it does much to keep it warm. You can see the gaps here.
9122BE66-CA59-4BAD-A603-FD5DFCB0B26D.jpeg

On a calm day with mild temperatures and the heater on the temperatures up and downstairs were pretty even with the cover on.
6BF339C3-C0DA-46DC-B545-15C97F7FC49E.jpeg

All the best.

Any ideas people?
Get a Cali Wrap from the club shop, no flapping in the wind, super warm insulation, keeps canvas dryIMG_0468.jpg and you can use roof bars.

Get a Cali Wrap from the club shop, no flapping in the wind, super warm insulation, keeps canvas dryView attachment 51374 and you can use roof bars.

Seems a bit pointless in snowy conditions. The roof mechanism is still open to the snow...?
May as well not bother.
Plus you end up with something else wet to pack, although not a problem if you have a roof box...:D

Now the O/P is really confused...:)

@Darryl
You might want to try this trick to help with heating the roof space

Seems a bit pointless in snowy conditions. The roof mechanism is still open to the snow...?
May as well not bother.
Plus you end up with something else wet to pack, although not a problem if you have a roof box...:D

Now the O/P is really confused...:)
Excellent in snowy conditions, you just give it a shaken and the snow falls off and I have never had an issue with snow on the mechanism. If you fancy a topper to increase warmth of the van there are lots of options and this is one of them. Whatever the OP decides to do hope he enjoys the trip. I am heading to austria in january so will be doing the same.

@CannonDale
Where are you heading?
Austria has some fantastic winter campsites.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Lots of information to consider. For those that have the Cali wrap, does the wrap fold away small enough to go in gap between the chairs in the tailgate?

Take the bars off. Chuck the board in the van and under the van when you get there. Then use a topper? I believe the old style toppers that cover the whole roof pack down smaller than the cali wraps or rainbow wraps.

I have used mine in Norway down to -25 ish with a roof box or boards on the roof.
View attachment 51372

If it’s calm the outer covers are reasonable at helping to keep the pop top warmer and do a good job of keeping snow out of the roof mechanism.

View attachment 51371

However, the one I have, flaps so much in windy conditions, I don’t think it does much to keep it warm. You can see the gaps here.
View attachment 51370

On a calm day with mild temperatures and the heater on the temperatures up and downstairs were pretty even with the cover on.
View attachment 51373

All the best.
Which temp and humidity sensors do you have? And which topper, please?

Any ideas people?
We have skied with our Cali. Down to -15 and no issues. We had a topper on for our comfort rather than preventing freezing to motor.

Which temp and humidity sensors do you have? And which topper, please?
I have 4 sensors from
I keep one under the flap where the fuel cap is for an approximate external temp, one in the cabin in one of the seat pockets, one in the pop top and one in the fridge. They are Bluetooth so there are some dropout issues every now and again but they record the data in the device so when you reconnect, the history is there. The history of fridge temperature is probably the most useful as you change the level on the fridge.

I think the pop top cover is the Comfortz Leisure roofless one. I can’t fully recommend it. It fits in the back door and is fairly simple to strip out. However it’s annoying to fit and I don’t think it’s very good in the wind.

Any ideas people?
Shame you don’t have bike rack as it’s really handy place to attach snowboard, that’s where I put mine.
My old cali I used isotop in the alps and had electric blanket (need hook up), keeps you nice and toasty.

Back