Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping 3 kids in a Beach

Mrpraline

Mrpraline

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We've only been able to take our van out twice since the lockdown. We tried a different sleeping arrangement each time and both worked better than I had feared.

First time we put the (nearly) 2-year-old twins in the pop-top in readybeds (airbeds with built-in sleeping bags) and the 3-year-old under the downstairs bed. By sliding it as far forward as it would go there was plenty of space under it for his readybed and a big enough gap behind the multiflex for him to climb out. He did hit his head a couple of times though and even with the net I spent most of the night worrying that the twins were going to fall out the roof!

Second time we put one twin on the multiflex board, and the other in a travel cot which nicely held the 3-year-olds readybed in place on the bench seat. Worked a treat. Fortunately they're fairly heavy sleepers; with the front seats swivelled round there was still plenty of room for me and the wife to hang out in the front of the van until it was time to go to sleep upstairs. Not a great pic attached but gives you an idea.

Any other suggestions welcome. We're considering a driveway campout in the near future!

IMG_6088.jpg

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
Our youngest slept with us downstairs last couple of years, by the time we get away again he'll be 3! Had wondered what we would do next time, as he's quite some size, so thought we might try all 3 downstairs and us upstairs. It's going to be trial and error to start with, though if the weather is good the older ones can sleep in the awning.
Will be rid of 1 car seat soon so less bulk to cart around.
20190802_085425.jpg

Last edited:
Mrpraline

Mrpraline

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Ah cute picture. Carseats and buggies are the bain of my life! Got a Quechua 2 second pop-up tent which is brilliant; we just fling it up and whack everything in. Don't even bother putting the pegs in.

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
We have that too. Now we have the awning sides which work great.

zinglefiffy

zinglefiffy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We stick them all in the roof.
We have a 3, 5 and 10 year old.
When its bedtime for the 3&5 yr old, they go head to the rear, in the far end of the pop-top, one corner each in their sleeping bags with me in the middle doing the reading/singing routine. Once they're asleep, I exit and the 10 yr old beds down in her sleeping bag laid down the middle but the other way with her head towards the cab so she can read using the reading light in the 12v socket.
We then have the freedom of the lower decks while they're sound asleep upstairs :thumb

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
Unfortunately my two youngest ones have more wriggles than a tub of maggots

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
On odd occasions we have slept overnight without unpacking, an adult and two children in the roof and the second adult on the unmade Bench seat. Being the adult in the roof is preferable to being the other adult on the bench seat.

Three young children in the roof should be fine.

Alternatively, can you rig up a permanent bed behind the bench?
IMG_2093.JPG

There's plenty of space here for two children on a 1.50 x 1.0m bed. Push the bench further forward and I'm sure you could squish in a 1.50 x 1.40m bed. Buy two 140 x 70cm cotbed mattresses (£60 each from John Lewis) and you're sorted.

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
On odd occasions we have slept overnight without unpacking, an adult and two children in the roof and the second adult on the unmade Bench seat. Being the adult in the roof is preferable to being the other adult on the bench seat.

Three young children in the roof should be fine.

Alternatively, can you rig up a permanent bed behind the bench?
View attachment 56552

There's plenty of space here for two children on a 1.50 x 1.0m bed. Push the bench further forward and I'm sure you could squish in a 1.50 x 1.40m bed. Buy two 140 x 70cm cotbed mattresses (£60 each from John Lewis) and you're sorted.
I don't think your kids like camping Tom