Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door water ingress

I have another thought here.
i too have been dealing with a series of ingress issues. My sliding door window was in a bad way and so have just replaced the entire unit. I”m pleased to say that the replacement window is entirely leak free and I know this as it has been pouring today but the door panel is off and I can see nothing has come in around the window frame. Indeed, the whole door is bone dry.
But, I still get a little flow from the channel when opening the door.

My earlier hypothesis seems unlikely now.

So my latest-
Roof water arrives at gutter.
Awning cassette gasket channels water to point above sliding door handle.
Significant water quantity exits at front point of awning.
Runs down over window glass.
Hits door handle.
Tired handle gasket lets water into door.
Door handle mech has a leak catching trough inside.
Trough exits via hose to drain at bottom of door.
Drain exits into sliding door lower track cutout.
Cutout should drain through tiny oval hole in door seal.
Too much water / blocked oval hole causes water to build up.
Water gushed out onto your toes when sliding door is opened!

BBF4B506-E2B8-4FCC-9C52-F2CC76E8EB42.png

BE5FAF1B-FFBC-4802-B74B-F810CB538870.png

Last edited:
Found this.

And in case, like me, you don’t know what a Tundish is:-

View attachment 100882
Thanks WG, great information from T6 forum link and the extra info about a Tundish. The situation at present is that my van is booked into Birmingham VW Van Center next month (22nd) and until then at least I will be extra care to avoid getting wet feet. We will see what VW and/or their dealer have to say following.

Well......a small update. Van taken to dealers this morning to learn they need to keep it for four days (good job I booked a courtesy vehicle - it was optional!), Four days?!!

Well......a small update. Van taken to dealers this morning to learn they need to keep it for four days (good job I booked a courtesy vehicle - it was optional!).

Well, the dealer was confident that the issue was two fold.
1. The drain from the sliding door handle (didn't even know there was one) was blocked with rotting leaves etc. so was cleaned/cleared.
2. The outer door seal was damaged and needed replacing and was replaced under the two year extended Manufacturer's Warranty with no arguments.

Result? A reduction of water was seen but not as good as I would have expected.

Will have a fiddle about when everything has dried out to see what can be done to avoid extra visit to dealer. Will report further.....

1. The drain from the sliding door handle (didn't even know there was one) was blocked with rotting leaves etc. so was cleaned/cleared.
2. The outer door seal was damaged and needed replacing and was replaced under the two year extended Manufacturer's Warranty with no arguments.

Result? A reduction of water was seen but not as good as I would have expected.

Will have a fiddle about when everything has dried out to see what can be done to avoid extra visit to dealer. Will report further.....
Where is the drain hole for the door handle, any photos?

It was the technician who told me about the drain from the handle. I have never heard of such an item before now and I've never seen it. Anyway now unblocked and a small oval hole in the seal located underneath the sliding door bottom roller bracket also now unblocked (by me). I think the latter was a moulding fault as it seemed to be be crushed when the door was closed and as a consequence prevented water draining away. Early tests (natures downpours!) seem to suggest all is much better. Sorry got no photos as it's a really awkward place.

It was the technician who told me about the drain from the handle. I have never heard of such an item before now and I've never seen it. Anyway now unblocked and a small oval hole in the seal located underneath the sliding door bottom roller bracket also now unblocked (by me). I think the latter was a moulding fault as it seemed to be be crushed when the door was closed and as a consequence prevented water draining away. Early tests (natures downpours!) seem to suggest all is much better. Sorry got no photos as it's a really awkward place.
I just had a quick look on my T5.1, I found the sliding door seal hole and the door drain hole but no sign of a handle drain hole?
IMG_20221126_161920623_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20221126_161508864_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221126_161818257_HDR.jpg

Thanks for photos. You obviously are a better photographer, have a better camera or both than I! Your arrow points to the underside of the door seal attached to the door frame. This hole is I believe for letting air escape from the seal when the door closed. The hole is round. The hole I am referring to is in the seal attached to the sliding door itself. You can only see it if you look from underneath the van in the area of the bottom door bracket. The hole is oval (or should be) but mine was blocked by a moulding defect. I have now removed this moulding defect and the hole is now not getting blocked when the door is closed and it seems to have done the trick.

but no sign of a handle drain hole?

View attachment 102527
I just pulled this grommet off mine and there is a hose attached to the back of that hole. Perhaps this is the door handle drain?

Mine is still gathering water in the lower sliding door cutout. And it does indeed look like this is the source of the water filling it.

It also appears that the only way for the water to escape is the oval hole in the outer door seal as described above by Jabberwocky.

It seems to me that my seal might be a little gummed up inside by detritus and /or just too squashed flat for the rainwater to escape fast enough. I’m going to give my seals a good clean out, possible enlarge the oval hole slightly and see how it goes.

What I am surprised about is just how much water seems to be entering via that ‘door handle’?? Needs investigating!EC0DD813-93A0-48CF-8580-F2C0CBB14F9C.jpeg242C0993-711E-4805-A9B8-FEA4C1427AE6.jpeg

I just pulled this grommet off mine and there is a hose attached to the back of that hole. Perhaps this is the door handle drain?

Mine is still gathering water in the lower sliding door cutout. And it does indeed look like this is the source of the water filling it.

It also appears that the only way for the water to escape is the oval hole in the outer door seal as described above by Jabberwocky.

It seems to me that my seal might be a little gummed up inside by detritus and /or just too squashed flat for the rainwater to escape fast enough. I’m going to give my seals a good clean out, possible enlarge the oval hole slightly and see how it goes.

What I am surprised about is just how much water seems to be entering via that ‘door handle’?? Needs investigating!View attachment 102608View attachment 102609
Glad you have managed to take a photo of "Oval" hole. This is the hole that I think gets compressed by the action of closing the sliding door and is further compromised by the moulding problem I describe earlier. As far as the other photo is concerned could this be the missing door handle drain? I was looking for the OEM parts drawing earlier but they seem to have disappeared for the time being but maybe @WelshGas can help?

. As far as the other photo is concerned could this be the missing door handle drain? I was looking for the OEM parts drawing earlier
have a look at my post a little further up the page. I’ve just edited my earlier hypothesis and it has the schematic and a photo of the door handle on someone else’s van.

It’s all starting to make sense!

have a look at my post a little further up the page. I’ve just edited my earlier hypothesis and it has the schematic and a photo of the door handle on someone else’s van.

It’s all starting to make sense!
Ah ha!
As you say starting to make sence. Just looked and read your edited hypothesis and the new photos.
Great investigatory work

Back