Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains

Johno

Johno

VIP Member
Hi all,
Friend of mine has a t5 conversion with 20 inch wheels on and is planning a ski trip , does anyone have experience as to what is the best to use , chains or tyre bandage?
He is also lowered by 30 mm any advice welcome. :help

My kombi is running 275/35 20 on Bilstein Coilovers. It is a 4motion, but when I go skiing, in December, I will be taking socks, as they are a lot easier to put on, and work just as well. Apparently from January this will be allowed instead of chains where some resorts insist on you running chains :thumb

Cool dude , thanks for taking the time to reply that's very helpfull, I was hoping that the socks would do the trick because as you say they are a lot easier to fit not to say the least being less bulkythan chains.
Hope you had a great week end and have a merry one on the big day.
Many :thanks Johno

looking to change our caravelle for a california (felt needed to justify why I'm on here) our velle has 20 inch wheels but on our ski trip we put winters on it. This is for 3 reasons
1 decent chains are really expensive
2 never checked but not sure I'd get chains on and be able to use full lock
3 based on point 1 a set of winter tyres and wheels were similar money to quality 20inc chains.
Having driven with both on the winters are brilliant and because they're narrower exert more pressure. Whatever you do buy make sure they are suitable for commercial I think 16mm not 12mm as having seen both mine & others destroy cheap chains leaving you potentially stuck. Treat them as an insurance policy ie buy the best you can and if you don't need them resell. There are a coup,e of companies who rent them good luck and have a great trip.
Don't forget your 20inch tyres will also do 4 months less mileage but your van won't look as nice !!

Thanks buddy,
All knowledge is power as the proverbial saying goes...
Hope the Cali hunting goes well , had ours just 1 year now from new , having had Porsches for last ten years but with 2 rugg rats + 5 & 3 there is nothing to compare as the Cali is awesome and does a great job as every day vehicle and the holiday on wheels .
Merry x
:thanks

You will hardly ever see the locals in the Alpes with snow chains, they all swap for Winter / Snow Tyres.