Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains

chrissieB

chrissieB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Will be needing snow chains for my Ocean for trip to the Alps next week.
Has anyone on the chat bought any recently?
Size needed is 255 45 R18, the cost for 4 is pretty expensive!

Will be needing snow chains for my Ocean for trip to the Alps next week.
Has anyone on the chat bought any recently?
Size needed is 255 45 R18, the cost for 4 is pretty expensive!
I can save you 50% - VW state you should only fit chains to the front wheels. You need half the amount!

I don’t think you can fit ordinary chains to that wheel size, insufficient clearance on the inside of the rim. You’ll need something like K-Summit which fit over the top of the tyre and don’t extend over the inside; but make sure you’re sitting down when you see the cost.

I’d advise getting them there.

They are sold in all supermarkets in France‘a Haute Savoie, if that’s where you’re heading.

Besides there’s been so little snow this season that all of the roads are clear as Crystal. That said, if it dumps when you are there and you don’t have snow tyres you Will need them.

I have found second-hand, so many are offered.
I had them for 40 euros.
I have just returned from the Alps (Andermatt Switzerland), there is indeed very little snow, the roads are as they are in summer.

ps .Winter tires are rather a must.
I also found second hand for 500 euros; Clayton alu wheels 16" with Hankook winter tires in very good condition, same wheels as on my 2022 Coast.

You need ‘non conventional’ chains as @Kernowboy says, so I wouldn’t wait until you’re there to pick some up just in case. Here’s a bunch of options for 255/45R18. Not much snow at present but that can change quickly. I’m not sure which countries you’re visiting but a pair of snow socks could be a low cost / peace of mind option If they’re approved where you’re going:

Thanks for your reply's all very useful, good to know I only need a pair for the front, interesting to know that it was made mandatory to carry them from Nov 22. So got to have them or risk a fine!!
The size is making it more difficult to pick up in the uk, it's a risk to leave it to getting to France in the hope of getting them cheaper .
May have to bite the bullet and pay the heavy price

Had to buy the the Thule/ Konig XG12 Pro.
In addition to the tyre size the weight also has a big bearing on what's suitable and as the Cali is a little heavy I needed the XG12 Pro which was just a little under £200. The other bit of useful info is the chain size, the options are 9mm 12mm or 16mm, I was advised by a very helpful guy at Snowchains.com that for the California you need 12mm as 16mm would potentially restrict you in achieving a full lock.
So now we have them......I'm hoping I won't need them!!

I don’t think you can fit ordinary chains to that wheel size, insufficient clearance on the inside of the rim. You’ll need something like K-Summit which fit over the top of the tyre and don’t extend over the inside; but make sure you’re sitting down when you see the cost.
Hi, I tried buying some and Autosocks said they were sold out for the season. Found quite a few sets on eBay, as new and unused at less than half the cost.

Bracket clamps to wheel nuts so alloys are protected.

Bought them as you have to carry a set in France.

They are a fiddle to adjust and size though….

Not a fan of eBay but on this occasion had a good result.

Had to buy the the Thule/ Konig XG12 Pro.
In addition to the tyre size the weight also has a big bearing on what's suitable and as the Cali is a little heavy I needed the XG12 Pro which was just a little under £200. The other bit of useful info is the chain size, the options are 9mm 12mm or 16mm, I was advised by a very helpful guy at Snowchains.com that for the California you need 12mm as 16mm would potentially restrict you in achieving a full lock.
So now we have them......I'm hoping I won't need them!!
Have you fitted and used the xg12 Pro on your 255/45R18 tyres yet? I'm about to buy a van with that size tyres and already have the correct
konig 240 set, so keen to know if the chain/vehicle clearances are good. Thanks. H

Back