Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Social isolating - Not!

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Even so you are not meant to make any unnecessary journeys - travelling in a car is unnecessary. The Police have been issuing warnings and turning people back home from designated parking spots in the Peak District when they park-up to exercise or walk their dogs. Know what you mean though - haven't seen so many people out exercising

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
People still making unnecessary journeys - including this guy - near Taddington parked up in the Peak District in a Cali Ocean. Hope it is no one here as they should know better

View attachment 56540
Just been on the regional news that people are still visiting the Peak District. We are really lucky that within two or three minutes walk we are in the countryside to get our exercise and take the hound out.

A

AndyB57

The advice is to exercise once a day (walking/running/cycling etc) but only in your own locality. The problem seems to be people who drive out somewhere miles from home to then do their once a day exercise!

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The advice is to exercise once a day (walking/running/cycling etc) but only in your own locality. The problem seems to be people who drive out somewhere miles from home to then do their once a day exercise!
Exactly, and then dump their rubbish out of the car. Ok, I can accept (just about) sandwich wrappers and plastic water bottles, but come on, used tissues?!

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
People still making unnecessary journeys - including this guy - near Taddington parked up in the Peak District in a Cali Ocean. Hope it is no one here as they should know better

View attachment 56540
But until you stopped so close to them they were isolated & presumably you had a really good reason for being there?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It seems a bit rough on those who live in town centres.

We went out on the tandem triplet today - a nice ride along the Ravensbourne and Pool Rivers. Roads were empty, the park was busier, but not busy.

A

AndyB57

Yes, I agree and totally sympathise (our daughter lives in central London) but the problem is city people who decide to head to the Peak District or The Lakes to go walking. It’s not the walking or other exercise that’s necessarily the problem, or indeed the location itself if everyone kept their (social) distance, it’s what would happen if they had an accident either on the way or whilst out walking which would then put additional strain on the already overworked NHS.
It‘s a difficult situation but we must stay at home for the good of everyone

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
But until you stopped so close to them they were isolated & presumably you had a really good reason for being there?
You don't get it - the rules are you stay at home and there is no unnecessary travel. Which part of that is hard to understand ? I didn't go anywhere near him as he had parked up his Cali and wasn't there. And yes I do have a good reason for being there as I live here.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Not what I mean.

If you live in a town centre, and it is not permitted for you to drive for a walk in a green space, instead you have to walk up and down the street.
You could take your bike, drive a few miles, then walk from there, get back on the bike home, no problem.

Take your car, drive many mile to another city in another district, do your walk, return home, that is the problem.

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Sorry I do get it. Exercise with isolation is perfect. Round our way the normally empty fields by our house where I take the dogs out are suddenly overrun with walkers, surely its safer to drive for 5 mins to get just that bit further out.

I also agree with the 99% of comments that were posted on the derbyshire police twitter account when they posted the drone footage criticising people walking in the peaks.
Complete overkill & waste of police resources. I would suggest theres a higher chance of Amarillo getting knocked off his tandem & needing hospital treatment than someone having an accident driving a couple of miles to find some green space.

I don't condone people driving for hours but a few miles seems reasonable.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
You could take your bike, drive a few miles, then walk from there, get back on the bike home, no problem.

Take your car, drive many mile to another city in another district, do your walk, return home, that is the problem.
The police in several areas are already saying no, you can't get in your car and drive anywhere for the purposes of exercise, you can only walk/run/cycle from your home.

I suspect that's going to become the universal position as otherwise a minority will unfortunately just take the pi$$.

I really feel for town dwellers on this, especially those with kids cooped up in a high-rise for 12 weeks with only pavement pounding for exercise. I just can't see what the alternative is, realistically.

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Rich20

Rich20

Living the dream
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Stay at home is the simple message. If you are complying with this, I and many other delivery drivers thank you. You are helping keep the roads clear so that we can get on with delivering essential supplies to wherever they are needed and groceries to vulnerable people as quickly as we can. Today it has been reported that 25% of cars stopped by the police were on non essential journeys. please ask yourself before you turn that key, Do I really need to make this journey. Thank you for your support.

CaliBear

CaliBear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Stay at home is the simple message. If you are complying with this, I and many other delivery drivers thank you. You are helping keep the roads clear so that we can get on with delivering essential supplies to wherever they are needed and groceries to vulnerable people as quickly as we can. Today it has been reported that 25% of cars stopped by the police were on non essential journeys. please ask yourself before you turn that key, Do I really need to make this journey. Thank you for your support.
Thank you guys for keeping things moving about so we can get the bits we all need!:thumb

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
And look at the criticism they got on their twitter feed, wasting police resources to do drone footage of people reasonably isolating themselves.
They didn't from the people that live here ! Rural people don't want outsiders coming in (making unnecessary car journeys) and by the way that is the law - before it was changed we were literally being over-run. How do you police a few miles. And if it is a few miles then surely they can walk .

Most cities have a park / green area within a mile which most city dwellers in normal times or perfectly happy with. Hardly a massive hardship given what went before - social distancing being ignored and huge influxes into the country side - the previous weekend here was like a bank holiday!

Last edited: