Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Social isolating - Not!

The National Parks, Country Parks, City Parks, beaches, etc, are not the property of those who live within walking distance. Keeping distance from each other is important, but so too is the mental health of those confined to their homes. Getting the balance perfect would take the wisdom of Solomon, but driving 30 minutes to a remote part of the Peak district to walk as a couple with the dog does not seem unreasonable. Nothing I saw of the footage from the Derbyshire police drone indicated gatherings, just solitary individuals and couples.
If you took your argument to its logical conclusion you would being saying it was fine for people to continue as before (i.e. before the rules changed to stay at home and no unnecessary travel). Go look what happened before these changes - we were over ran and social distancing wasn't practiced. If the rules weren't being upheld that is what it would return too so well done to the rural police for upholding the rules and protecting the local communities - check pictures of Snowden, Matlock etc. if you don't believe me

If you took your argument to its logical conclusion you would being saying it was fine for people to continue as before (i.e. before the rules changed to stay at home and no unnecessary travel). Go look what happened before these changes - we were over ran and social distancing wasn't practiced. If the rules weren't being upheld that is what it would return too so well done to the rural police for upholding the rules and protecting the local communities - check pictures of Snowden, Matlock etc. if you don't believe me
This wasn't Snowdon, Matlock or even Bournemouth Beach. It was a half empty car park and a nearly deserted footpath.

Yesterday I cycled along the River Pool Linear Park with my two boys - no driving. The park was probably 100 times busier than the path depicted on the police drone footage. So where would we be more likely to pick up then spread CV19, by driving 30 minutes into Kent for a deserted country walk, or cycling along an urban river park?

Last edited:
if it bothered you that much why didn't you hang around and tell them to their face ? and why do you assume it was a HE?
The only person here making assumptions is you I am afraid. I did hang around as I was going to speak to him. I went to the trouble of leaving a note (nothing rude - just pointing out Government guidelines). Indeed when I seen he had a baby seat in the front I was a bit worried for him as I thought he might have been in some sort of a predicament and considered if he genuinely was then I couldn't leave him out on a public carriage way, but would offer him access to a field and electric - well away from anybody. Anyway just as I got down the hill he returned and appeared to throw what looked like a bike and /or walking gear into the van and swiftly drove off. I am afraid he was simply flouting the rules - perhaps like one or 2 others he has trouble understanding English

Nevertheless people out there will still be touching things like gates, stiles parking ticket machines etc which could pass on nasties.
The police are doing what the government has asked them to do.

This wasn't Snowdon, Matlock or even Bournemouth Beach. It was a half empty car park and a nearly deserted footpath.

Yesterday I cycled along the River Pool Linear Park with my two boys - no driving. The park was probably 100 times busier than the path depicted on the police drone footage. So where would we be more likely to pick up then spread CV19, by driving 30 minutes into Kent for a deserted country walk, or cycling along an urban river park?
The point being it wouldn't have been half empty nor would the other places if the restrictions hadn't been brought in and or not policed ! PLus even then some of them were having barbies and not social distancing ! I for one think people should stick to the rules (if you don't then fine) and I think it is important that local resources (health, police, NHS) or here for local people. Indeed even with the restrictions and policing there are some problems https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52034329

Last edited:
heres why. nothing from boris yet says you can't drive a few mile somewhere quiet to go walk your dog or yourself
assistant chief constable of Cumbria Police has been on the radio this morning saying you should NOT be driving anywhere for your exercise or to have a flask of coffee whilst staying in the car somewhere, they are all unnecessary journeys and stay off the roads. He was talking about everywhere not just Cumbria.

Looks like Borris PM hasn't been keeping his distance. :oops:

assistant chief constable of Cumbria Police has been on the radio this morning saying you should NOT be driving anywhere for your exercise or to have a flask of coffee whilst staying in the car somewhere, they are all unnecessary journeys and stay off the roads. He was talking about everywhere not just Cumbria.
The police enforce the rules, they don't make them.

The Government advice is quite clear. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a walk, run, jog or cycle once a day. Nothing prohibiting driving to to a place to walk, run, jog or cycle.

Time and time again we see the police misinterpreting rules and acting unlawfully, most recently when they banned Extinction Rebellion from gatherings of two or more people. When the police act or try to act unlawfully it is up to us all to ensure they don't.

The police enforce the rules, they don't make them.

The Government advice is quite clear. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a walk, run, jog or cycle once a day. Nothing prohibiting driving to to a place to walk, run, jog or cycle.

Time and time again we see the police misinterpreting rules and acting unlawfully, most recently when they banned Extinction Rebellion from gatherings of two or more people. When the police act or try to act unlawfully it is up to us all to ensure they don't.

"The Government advice is quite clear. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a walk, run, jog or cycle once a day. Nothing prohibiting driving to to a place to walk, run, jog or cycle". That is not their advice - they have said stay at home and no unnecessary journeys and have defined necessary journeys as shopping for food and medical related or for work. Here is a nice info graphic for you https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52012432

When the police act or try to act unlawfully it is up to us all to ensure they don't. Are you encouraging people to break the rules /advice and what is the benefit of it - if where ever they are driving to his near by they can walk and if it isn't then you are not at home and have left home unnecessary !

Last edited:
The Government advice is quite clear. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a walk, run, jog or cycle once a day. Nothing prohibiting driving to to a place to walk, run, jog or cycle. That is not their advice - they have said stay at home and no unnecessary journeys and have defined necessary journeys as shopping for food and medical related or for work. Here is a nice info graphic for you https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52012432
From your link:

The government guidance says people should only leave home for one of four reasons:
  • Shopping for basic necessities such as food and medicine. Shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible
  • One form of exercise a day such as a run, walk, or cycle. This should be done alone or only with people you live with
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person. This includes moving children under the age of 18 between their parents' homes, where applicable. Key workers or those with children identified as vulnerable can continue to take their children to school
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home

If the above prohibits driving to a park for exercise, it follows that it prohibits driving to the shops, driving to the doctor and driving to work.

From your link:

The government guidance says people should only leave home for one of four reasons:
  • Shopping for basic necessities such as food and medicine. Shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible
  • One form of exercise a day such as a run, walk, or cycle. This should be done alone or only with people you live with
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person. This includes moving children under the age of 18 between their parents' homes, where applicable. Key workers or those with children identified as vulnerable can continue to take their children to school
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home

If the above prohibits driving to a park for exercise, it follows that it prohibits driving to the shops, driving to the doctor and driving to work.
No unnecessary travel is also rule ! See infographic, etc. Even with work it says it should only be done when absolutely necessary ... Anyway glad the Police have a fairly good handle on this and are protecting rural communities from the bank holiday type of situations before the rules came into place and most people are complying with the rules or at least with the spirit of them in these dangerous times

Last edited:
No unnecessary travel is also rule ! See infographic, etc. Even with work it says it should only be done when absolutely necessary ... Anyway glad the Police have a fairly good handle on this and are protecting rural communities from the bank holiday type of situations before the rules came into place and most people are complying with the rules or at least with the spirit of them in these dangerous times
The government has decided that exercise once a day is necessary. Travel by car to a safe place to exercise is therefore permitted so long as the primary purpose of that travel is exercise. That would be my interpretation.

I can’t help thinking a lot of this is about people trying to find a loophole so that they don’t have to do what is being asked of them? These restrictions are a designed to be a short term measure but surely if people do not comply the virus will just keep on spreading and the lockdown will continue even longer.

I can’t help thinking a lot of this is about people trying to find a loophole so that they don’t have to do what is being asked of them? These restrictions are a designed to be a short term measure but surely if people do not comply the virus will just keep on spreading and the lockdown will continue even longer.
quote.jpg

The government has decided that exercise once a day is necessary. Travel by car to a safe place to exercise is therefore permitted so long as the primary purpose of that travel is exercise. That would be my interpretation.

Thank god that interpretation is not that of most other sensible people or the police forces are we would be back to the way it was before the rules came in to play (rural communities being over-run) and in no doubt putting new rules in place. Plus if you travel by car say outside a City or even past a local park you have hardly minimising the time spent out of the home ...

From your post: "These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home ..."

Indeed you could validly argue if you have driven to a place to walk or cycle you have not minimised time spent outside of the home as you could have walked or cycled immediately upon leaving the house and got your exercise earlier. Just like going to a supermarket for food if it wasn't for the "minimising the time out of home" or unnecessary travel rule, you could potentially use it to justify a "supermarket trip" to Brighton, even if you lived at the opposite end of the country !

So stay local. The Government has also expressed time and time again to avoid unnecessary travel. Plus when it comes to hot spots - rural communities have let you know via their police forces and Councils that you are not welcome at the moment so please continue to stay at home. They have even shut all their facilities to all visitors, regardless of whether they or local or not.

Last edited:
21 units a week? sh1t, I thought that was a day! :thumb
Latest British Heart Foundation guidance is 14 units per week, regardless of sex, not 21 for men and 18 for women as was. How depressing is that?

More confused messages:
“Police said members of the public should not be driving anywhere to walk their dogs or exercise. However, the Guardian checked with the Cabinet Office, which is overseeing restrictions on movement, and a spokeswoman confirmed that the guidelines did not prohibit driving somewhere for exercise or dog walking.”

I have to say that the police setting up roadblocks and flying drones to prevent Sheffield residents driving 30 minutes to escape bustling city parks for open Peak District land is a complete waste of resources.
I disagree. Here we are in the midst of the biggest global health crisis for very many decades and the most important message has been to socially distance ourselves by staying at home to limit the spread.

Given the gravity of this situation, I would have thought that police resources, which should always be directed to deal with current priorities, are being correctly used at this time.

Thank god that interpretation is not that of most other sensible people or the police forces
It is the interpretation of the Cabinet Office.
the Guardian checked with the Cabinet Office, which is overseeing restrictions on movement, and a spokeswoman confirmed that the guidelines did not prohibit driving somewhere for exercise or dog walking.
Parliament makes the rules, the police enforce and the courts interpret. The courts would use a test of reasonableness. It is likely that they would not consider a 130 mile round trip to Brighton to shop at the supermarket reasonable. A sixty mile round trip to buy egg laying hens in Maidstone probably would be reasonable. And so too would be a 30 minute drive for exercise and to walk the dog in solitude or near solitude. And that is not the same as joining the masses for an amble up Snowdon, Scafell Pike or Ben Nevis.

I really do feel that the Cumbria and Derbyshire Police would be acting unlawfully if they prevented a member of the public from driving to a place for exercise.

It is the interpretation of the Cabinet Office.

Parliament makes the rules, the police enforce and the courts interpret. The courts would use a test of reasonableness. It is likely that they would not consider a 130 mile round trip to Brighton to shop at the supermarket reasonable. A sixty mile round trip to buy egg laying hens in Maidstone probably would be reasonable. And so too would be a 30 minute drive for exercise and to walk the dog in solitude or near solitude. And that is not the same as joining the masses for an amble up Snowdon, Scafell Pike or Ben Nevis.

I really do feel that the Cumbria and Derbyshire Police would be acting unlawfully if they prevented a member of the public from driving to a place for exercise.

Nothing about this in the official Gov link so I guess the cabinet office is wrong or wants it both ways ! However, minimising is minimising - driving 30 mins into the country for a walk is certainly not minimizing as you could do whatever you intended to do in the City itself. Anyway thank god for the Police and the majority of people be sensible instead of looking for loopholes
ps didn't see anything about a right or reference to do exercise in solitude

Last edited:
New guidelines just been published probably as clear as you are going to get still saying do not travel unnecessarily !

Article here https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52062209

New advice clarifies that people must use "open spaces" near to home, where possible.
  • stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily
  • you should only go outside alone or with members of your own household
  • keep at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside your household at all times
  • gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this
  • if you have a garden, make use of the space for exercise and fresh air
  • take hygiene precautions when you are outside, and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors

Last edited:
that's from today. not yesterday. they keep changing the rules. i'm off to work now. later everyone.