Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels - anyone tried the Victron controller with bluetooth and phone app

It's a yes to answer all your questions before "Also..."! The correct cables will come with the panel and for the battery in the kit you buy from a decent supplier, I used midsummerenergy.

Cali uses gel batteries so no venting or gases given off and no worries there.
Batteries on my 2011 se are sealed & have vent pipe that goes through hole in the floor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The 2 batteries (1 in engine-compartment and 1 under driver-seat) on my T6 2017 are AGM types with VLRA technology. Delivered new from factory.

VRLA stands for Valve Regulated Lead Acid, which means that the batteries are sealed. Gas will escape through the safety valves only in case of overcharging or cell failure. VRLA batteries are maintenance free for life.

The battery in the engine-compartment has no vent pipe. If gas escapes it's outside living area
but the battery, inside under the seat, has a vent pipe that goes trough the floor:

AGM battery.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
On our T6 Highroof panel van we have installed last week:

- 1 Victron monocristalline 190 W - 24 V hard (aluminum frame) solar panel
- 1 Victron SmartSolar Controller MPPT 100V/20A with Bluetooth for the Victron Connect app
- both components connected with 6mm² Victron Solar cables
with MC4 waterproof connectors on the roof.

The controller is installed near to the battery because of its temperature dependent load.
The cables between contoller and battery have also a 6 mm² section.

We have chosen a 24V panel (Vmax is 36V) because you need at least 14V to charge the battery.
If the parametrs are not ideal (position of the panel, intensity of the sunlight) it's easier
to reach the 14V with the 24V panel then with a 12V panel (Vmax is 18V).

Our battery delivers power for an electrical waterpump, 4 led lights inside, 1 compressor refrigerator, chargers for 2 smartphones, tablets & 1 BT speaker and an Eberspacher heater.
Till now we can go off grid for maximum 72 hours.
With the solar panel we hope to become independent.
Next holiday we will proof the pudding ............. :)

Solar panel.jpg

Victron MPPT 100-20.jpg

....I forgot the most important:
The price of the complete solar set (the installation I did myself) was 600 € (+/- 540 £).

Anyone has recommendations on which battery to choose in the Victron app if I have the Varta AGM batteries? Or is the standard settings good enough?

I've always left mine as the default, but would be interested if anyone recommends something else.

+ Kave: in the manual of my batterie charger "CTEK MXS 10" I have found this values for AGM batteries wich I programmed in the Victron charge controller (SmartSolar MPPT 100/20):

- Bulk/absorption voltage: 14,7 V
- Float voltage: 13,6 V

I have set the maximum current on 15 A because I use a split charge relay (Cyrix-ct 12/24 V 120 A)
to charge also the starter batterie with my solar panel (190 Wp 24V) . See the attached document.

Attachments

• Datasheet-Cyrix-ct-120A-230A-EN.pdf
    229.5 KB · Views: 21
I am thinking of upgrading to a Victron Smartsolar charger with Bluetooth.
At nighttime or in a garage will the Smartsolar and Bluetooth charger draw power from the batteries?
Approximately how much if so?
Just don't want to park up in the garage and have my batteries discharging.

I have one installed since over a year. The van stood in the garage for the first three months of this year without being plugged in (I know, bad practice..) and battery drain definitely negligible. The 75/15 is brilliant! I also have a 75/10 without Bluetooth in my shed and I don’t like it near as much due to the lack of available info.. Many would say ‘who cares?’, but I absolutely think the Bluetooth is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely no amount to worry about,
the only way to give accurate figures is to disconnect everything out of the circuit apart from the controller and then measure parra static drain, don’t over think it, just fit and enjoy :bananadance2

Ok guys thanks. I am convinced although I may be back with some questions on how to do the settings.

Screenshot_20200511-181645.jpgScreenshot_20200511-181645.jpgWould anyone like to share their settings for the Victron 75/15 Smartsolar please? I would love to try and programme the optimum settings. Thank you

Out for our daily excersise and the 100w Solar system is working well with the Victron. Its not even midday and the van roof is not pointing into the sun. Very happy with that. I am having to put up with a few funny looks from the other half though as I have been staring at my phone app watching the watt meter for quite some time.:rolleyes:
Screenshot_20200513-110956.jpgScreenshot_20200513-110956.jpg

Last edited:
My settings are exactly the same as yours in every respect.
Thanks @5i1ver8ack .
I was wondering if there was a slightly better user defined setting for the Varta AGM's in the Cali.
Probably not much different to the current default Victron settings. I will try and acquire a data sheet for the Varta batteries and see what they say.
Not sure what the Float charge is for the Cali's battery management system. Anyone???

An interesting note on the Victron 75/10 (no bluetooth) in my shed: The other day, my batteries were bubbling. I checked the output, and for no reason I can isolate the unit was outputting 24V. I decided to buy the add on bluetooth module to verify what I saw. Sure enough, the selection was to 24V even though I have had it running on 12V for months and it has worked just fine. Very strange that it switched over I thought... After a reset and firmware update all is well! Another good reason to have bluetooth ;)

An interesting note on the Victron 75/10 (no bluetooth) in my shed: The other day, my batteries were bubbling. I checked the output, and for no reason I can isolate the unit was outputting 24V. I decided to buy the add on bluetooth module to verify what I saw. Sure enough, the selection was to 24V even though I have had it running on 12V for months and it has worked just fine. Very strange that it switched over I thought... After a reset and firmware update all is well! Another good reason to have bluetooth ;)
That's a scary thing to think it may switch the settings with a software or other glitch. Too late after your batteries have been overcharged. People will have to be careful when playing with the App not to alter something critical.

Varta charging chart.JPG
Its difficult to locate a user manual for our current batteries but this chart came from Varta.
The default Victron Gel setting for Absorption appears to be 14.4v while this chart shows14.8v for Absorption. Not sure it will make much difference if we were to change it.

At my workplace we charge AGM batteries @2.40 volts per cell
So 6 cells x2.4 = 14.4volts
So that sounds good to me