Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel advice

Hi
I was going to review how the purchase, install and use over a camping trip before writing anymore in this thread.
Delivery super fast.
Instructions very clear.
Really easy to install.
I went for curly lead and Bluetooth charger.
App is amazing.
It is keeping my battery on float nicely at the mo until my first camping trip with the kids since lockdown at the beginning of August.
I did a day test run with the cooler. All worked well. It was an incredibly bright and sunny day though.
Will right more after my trip.
So far - excellent. Thanks Roger!
Fitted today. Straight forward and charging instantly.

Question wether you really need solar...?
I’ve done 4 days away with no hook-up and no solar and everything was still running.

For the cost involved and having another item fitted which appeals to the light fingered bunch, (especially with the dangling cable) is it worth having...???

The cost to plug in my van at home every few weeks is pennies...

30BB3206-0D1E-4844-AE17-AB00289C16F2.jpeg
E33A0C72-BABA-4A41-A100-FADD4969FA5E.png
first outing since fitting our panel. It’s topped the batteries up nicely
C8BFC08C-3AC6-4AB3-872C-9D703C0AF03F.png

I’ve done 4 days away with no hook-up and no solar and everything was still running.

For the cost involved and having another item fitted which appeals to the light fingered bunch, (especially with the dangling cable) is it worth having...???

I’ve just fitted one and thinking exactly the same. Although on many sites on the continent they charge separately for electric hookup (some sites this is bonkers money) so we can knock that on the head now. Reckon it should pay itself back by the time I’m 97;)

I’ve just fitted one and thinking exactly the same. Although on many sites on the continent they charge separately for electric hookup (some sites this is bonkers money) so we can knock that on the head now. Reckon it should pay itself back by the time I’m 97;)
Based on European camping I’ve worked out circa 100 nights pays for it

I had the same thoughts. That's why i went for a portable system, which i put behind the windscreen at home, or anywhere in the direction of the sun while camping. Also no restrictions in washing the van, nor i have to keep the panel clean from bird' sh..
Same bluetooth capable charger.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07GS3SH6M/
It depends on the need of the user, there is no superior solution.

It depends, many sites offer a pitch including hook up, whether you need it or not. They may charge it separately, but often you can't opt out.

To be honest this is the main reason I bought one. We tour around for about 5 weeks every summer and I get narked at paying for the electric (I paid over €20 in Austria for 3 nights) when it’s literally charging the batteries only. Saves on hook up fees and I enjoyed fitting it.

To be honest this is the main reason I bought one. We tour around for about 5 weeks every summer and I get narked at paying for the electric (I paid over €20 in Austria for 3 nights) when it’s literally charging the batteries only. Saves on hook up fees and I enjoyed fitting it.
I enjoy looking at the app on my phone and the real-time data. Fascinating. But then I haven’t got out much recently

I enjoy looking at the app on my phone and the real-time data. Fascinating. But then I haven’t got out much recently
That’s true. Restrictions lifting in Wales so our first proper spin out in it today. Quite excited. And with the sun out I will probably be checking on it all day until I get a row!

20€ for 3 days is a lot, are you sure?
Most I've seen 4,50 eur per day.
Infact if i can't opt out, i cook on electric, use hairdryer for my daughter and needless to say , if it's cold i heat with the ecomat, not my diesel.

It really depends on your camping requirements. I never try and sell solar as a "pay back" solution. It offers advantages such as:

1 - camping away from hookup - so you are not restricted to camping pitches.
2 - as above - for festivals - its invaluable
3 - battery maintenance - keeps your batteries topped up, which is impractical for anyone with on street parking.
4 - battery protection - stops you flattening them by mistake, which means 2 new batteries.
5 - high demand use - people are using more and more power. Phones, tablets, TV, bluetooth speakers, led lights etc.

In tests from a fair few years ago I found a good 80AH battery would run a compressor fridge (in good weather) for a touch over 48 hours. so 4 days is going to be around the limit on two batteries.

I've not yet had one report of theft. In 7 years.

Bike racks are probably a LOT easier to sell, and not easy to uniquely identify when put up on ebay etc. I amagine that's why there has been a spate of thefts (one of my customers had his bike rack stolen the day after he bought it)

20€ for 3 days is a lot, are you sure?
Most I've seen 4,50 eur per day.
Infact if i can't opt out, i cook on electric, use hairdryer for my daughter and needless to say , if it's cold i heat with the ecomat, not my diesel.
We were on a meter and paid on leaving. Not sure why it was so expensive. Best showers, sauna, etc. I‘ve seen but the site itself was pretty plain.
we travel very light so do not take any electrical goods as we stay a nigh5 or two and move on.

It really depends on your camping requirements. I never try and sell solar as a "pay back" solution. It offers advantages such as:

1 - camping away from hookup - so you are not restricted to camping pitches.
2 - as above - for festivals - its invaluable
3 - battery maintenance - keeps your batteries topped up, which is impractical for anyone with on street parking.
4 - battery protection - stops you flattening them by mistake, which means 2 new batteries.
5 - high demand use - people are using more and more power. Phones, tablets, TV, bluetooth speakers, led lights etc.

In tests from a fair few years ago I found a good 80AH battery would run a compressor fridge (in good weather) for a touch over 48 hours. so 4 days is going to be around the limit on two batteries.

I've not yet had one report of theft. In 7 years.

Bike racks are probably a LOT easier to sell, and not easy to uniquely identify when put up on ebay etc. I amagine that's why there has been a spate of thefts (one of my customers had his bike rack stolen the day after he bought it)

For 95% of Cali owners the Solar installation is a waste of time.
Unless your living in the van full-time or doing something more specific, like trying to charge e-bike batteries. Then i don't see the point.

Im not ruling it out myself yet. Need to do more investigation into the effectiveness of topping up e-bike batteries. That could be a game-changer...

For 95% of Cali owners the Solar installation is a waste of time.
Unless your living in the van full-time or doing something more specific, like trying to charge e-bike batteries. Then i don't see the point.

Im not ruling it out myself yet. Need to do more investigation into the effectiveness of topping up e-bike batteries. That could be a game-changer...

I'm confident 95% of my customers don't find their solar installation a waste of time.

I started this company when a camper I borrowed let me down after two days of camping with no power. Fridge packed up and I couldn't charge my gadgets. A lot of people don't camp on pitches , or choose scenic pitches with no power, and most don't find it acceptable to fire up the engine for 40 mins for a top up (complicated further if you have regenerative braking/alternator).

You can flatten the Cali batteries quite fast with the fridge running jn summer, plus gadget charging. You can also accidentally flatten them when not using the van, as mentioned in my previous post. An expensive mistake to make. A lot of people are also not in the position to hook up their van on the kerb to regularly maintain their batteries.

I'm confident 95% of my customers don't find their solar installation a waste of time.

I started this company when a camper I borrowed let me down after two days of camping with no power. Fridge packed up and I couldn't charge my gadgets. A lot of people don't camp on pitches , or choose scenic pitches with no power, and most don't find it acceptable to fire up the engine for 40 mins for a top up (complicated further if you have regenerative braking/alternator).

You can flatten the Cali batteries quite fast with the fridge running jn summer, plus gadget charging. You can also accidentally flatten them when not using the van, as mentioned in my previous post. An expensive mistake to make. A lot of people are also not in the position to hook up their van on the kerb to regularly maintain their batteries.

We will have to agree to disagree Roger.
Btw, I’m not knocking your product...

But as someone who regularly camps off grid, I have never had a battery issue yet...
Just pointing out, that for many people Solar is overkill.

However, I can agree, Solar has some merits and I can see applications where it would be useful.

It depends how long one camps off grid. If it’s one or two nights, then move on the battery lasts even with the fridge working hard but I want to be able to stay put for longer.

It depends. The deciding factor for me was my ebike, and when I put a voltmeter on my starter battery. I understood this bluemotion crap never fully charges the batteries and hookup on a beach only charges the leisure battery. Another factor was when someone in the family drove away with the hookup cable connected to the van. I also find it tedious to connect the hookup cable at all. For me solar panels are a luxury item. Now the kids can charge their ipads and I can use my 16” Macbook. I can charge my DJI Drone. Heck, I can even use some stuff in the house if the power fails us ( I bought a 12V to 230V converter). I can use our 12V vacuum which takes lots of power when I spilled coffe all over the van this weekend. After every trip i clean the van with that. The fridge is now always on in the van. Acting as a cooler for drinks etc when our house fridge is full, which it seems to be all the time. Now I don’t have to take it out and clean and dry it out after every small trip.
When we sometimes do use a camping, not faffing with cables is also luxury. I love it when our friends with camper arrives 40 mins before us and we are done drinking a beer 60 mins before them.
The tech nerd in me looks at the solar app all the time. I find it really amusing when I see that the vans battery are charged from solar when driving as well.

..... . I find it really amusing when I see that the vans battery are charged from solar when driving as well.

Isn't solar charging off when engine is running and alternator supplying 14+ volts?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Yes, but when the batteries are nearly full they are only charged when engine breaking.

Apologies, didn't take that into consideration

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

It depends. The deciding factor for me was my ebike, and when I put a voltmeter on my starter battery. I understood this bluemotion crap never fully charges the batteries and hookup on a beach only charges the leisure battery. Another factor was when someone in the family drove away with the hookup cable connected to the van. I also find it tedious to connect the hookup cable at all. For me solar panels are a luxury item. Now the kids can charge their ipads and I can use my 16” Macbook. I can charge my DJI Drone. Heck, I can even use some stuff in the house if the power fails us ( I bought a 12V to 230V converter). I can use our 12V vacuum which takes lots of power when I spilled coffe all over the van this weekend. After every trip i clean the van with that. The fridge is now always on in the van. Acting as a cooler for drinks etc when our house fridge is full, which it seems to be all the time. Now I don’t have to take it out and clean and dry it out after every small trip.
When we sometimes do use a camping, not faffing with cables is also luxury. I love it when our friends with camper arrives 40 mins before us and we are done drinking a beer 60 mins before them.
The tech nerd in me looks at the solar app all the time. I find it really amusing when I see that the vans battery are charged from solar when driving as well.

We now have 1 e-bike and potentially have a second on the way. So may have to look into the effectiveness of charging the bikes.
:thumb

Solar isnt really justified on Economics its a good Gadget which makes life easier. In my case the fridge stays on 24/7 and the van never goes on hook up at home with the Victron maintaining my batteries to perfection. No possibility to forget to take it off or put it on. My wife takes the van for horse events she runs where there is no hookup and has a requirement to run a second freezer.
Still doesnt make economic sense but but what does on a Cali Ocean.

Back