Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel fitting and review

I stopped off last Thursday at Taunton to see Roger and have my Cali drill free Solar Kit fitted. He took great care and interest as it was the first Cali he had fitted in person. Came up with a few modifications along the way and took pics to include in his pack instructions.

I am very impressed by his attitude and the kit. Worked well over the weekend in less than ideal conditions at Silverstone. Normal 4 day stop results in battery bank at about 40/50% and volts at approx 12.3 on control panel. Last weekend ended the 4 days on 90% and 13 volts.

If in doubt get yourself a kit, you won't regret it or dealing with Roger.

When we got the Cali we very soon had a list of must have's and after contacting Roger solar power was put on the list to be looked at further when the weather improved.

After a lot of discussion with some very helpful solar panel users at the Lower Lode meet a few weeks ago, we went for the standard 100w panel with an MPPT charger upgrade and an additional LCD display which means it is easier to see what is happening.

I can only echo the review that BerndRos has written. We had decided to ask Roger to install it for us.
I went to Taunton yesterday to have mine fitted.Taunton being not far from us and it gave us a chance for a drive. Excellent instructions on how to find him. Like BerndRos I was very impressed by the kit, the thought that had gone into making it and how Roger patiently explained how it worked and what it all did. Our Cali is Pearl Black and thoughtfully Roger had sprayed the end pieces of the supporting brackets in black so they would be less conspicuous. He planned the fixing points for the MPPT controller and the LCD display very carefully to minimise cable runs and screw holes in the cupboards. As soon as it was connected, about 1½ hours, it began recording a charge going into the leisure batteries. Parking on the street, it is difficult to run an EHU hookup once a month to keep the leisure batteries charged and prolong their life.
We have a Cali Topper which I find useful in N Wales to keep the rain off the bellows and keep the temperature in the top bed a bit higher. At the meet Briwy said that Nick can now put a plastic window in the Cali Topper to let light onto the panel if you want to have the topper on as well. Nick said that if I had the panel installed before the meet he could take the topper back with him to save the courier costs one way at least.

I can only commend Roger's professionalism, very helpful personality and the design of the solar generating kit that he makes and installs.

Last edited:
When we got the Cali we very soon had a list of must have's and after contacting Roger solar power was put on the list to be looked at further when the weather improved.

After a lot of discussion with some very helpful solar panel users at the Lower Lode meet a few weeks ago, we went for the standard 100w panel with an MPPT charger upgrade and an additional LCD display which means it is easier to see what is happening.

I can only echo the review that BerndRos has written. We had decided to ask Roger to install it for us.
I went to Taunton yesterday to have mine fitted.Taunton being not far from us and it gave us a chance for a drive. Excellent instructions on how to find him. Like BerndRos I was very impressed by the kit, the thought that had gone into making it and how Roger patiently explained how it worked and what it all did. Our Cali is Pearl Black and thoughtfully Roger had sprayed the end pieces of the supporting brackets in black so they would be less conspicuous. He planned the fixing points for the MPPT controller and the LCD display very carefully to minimise cable runs and screw holes in the cupboards. As soon as it was connected, about 1½ hours, it began recoding a charge going into the leisure batteries. Parking on the street, it is difficult to run an EHU hookup once a month to keep the leisure batteries charged and prolong their life.
We have a Cali Topper which I find useful in N Wales to keep the rain off the bellows and keep the temperature in the top bed a bit higher. At the meet Briwy said that Nick can now put a plastic window in the Cali Topper to let light onto the panel if you want to have the topper on as well. Nick said that if I had the panel installed before the meet he could take the topper back with him to save the courier costs one way at least.

I can only commend Roger's professionalism, very helpful personality and the design of the solar generating kit that he makes and installs.
Great review and looking as if I might have to get one especially as I live in Bristol and I will have similar issues to you with EHU.

Purely down to personal choice, but you don't really need the LCD monitor as this years model of MPPT has a screen as well. Apart from initial set up and the curiosity of seeing what charge your getting during the first few days, you will likely hardly look at the screen again.

I did not have one, Roger fitted the MPPT in the back cupboard and the screen is easy to see in there if required.

Purely down to personal choice, but you don't really need the LCD monitor as this years model of MPPT has a screen as well. Apart from initial set up and the curiosity of seeing what charge your getting during the first few days, you will likely hardly look at the screen again.

I did not have one, Roger fitted the MPPT in the back cupboard and the screen is easy to see in there if required.
Thanks. Great stuff. I shall make contact and make the arrangements.

Having a Topper with a Vinyl window for the panel is debatable.
1. The Vinyl can reduce/alter the wavelength of light such that the Panel is less efficient.
2. If the weather is that bad that the Topper is required then the likelihood of getting any significant charge from the panel will be significantly reduced as well.
3. In winter, snow/ice will reduce the charge from a panel as will the Suns angle.

So having a window in a roof topper will not be that helpful overall.

Go for the topper made for the roof rack …

Having a Topper with a Vinyl window for the panel is debatable.
1. The Vinyl can reduce/alter the wavelength of light such that the Panel is less efficient.
2. If the weather is that bad that the Topper is required then the likelihood of getting any significant charge from the panel will be significantly reduced as well.
3. In winter, snow/ice will reduce the charge from a panel as will the Suns angle.

So having a window in a roof topper will not be that helpful overall.

Sorry WG can't agree with that. I do agree that it does reduce the output of the panel but ours still gives a reasonable charge with "windowed" topper. I reckon some charge is better than none. Having said that, now that the CaliCozi has been in use for over a year we rarely find the need for the topper, only use it if on site for a few days and the weather forecast is bad.

Thanks chaps - very glad you are pleased :) It's been a pleasure meeting all of you.

Sorry WG can't agree with that. I do agree that it does reduce the output of the panel but ours still gives a reasonable charge with "windowed" topper. I reckon some charge is better than none. Having said that, now that the CaliCozi has been in use for over a year we rarely find the need for the topper, only use it if on site for a few days and the weather forecast is bad.
As I said, debatable, during winter storms. Normally travelling by day and with it getting dark early and sunrise later then not much sun about. If very windy, which it has been then slept with roof down as there are only 2 of us. During summer then don't bother with topper as normally plenty of opportunity to dry canvas. :thumb

A small update, now I'm a trade partner :)

I've updated the printed instructions on the Cali / Beach drill free kit to explain step by step how to get the cable through the grommet and into the cupboard. I know the info is on this forum , posted by Welshgas?, but it's nice to have it in print - I did one today and had the cable through in a matter of minutes.

I've also moved the waterproof connector close to the panel so it can be stored in the rail slot at the plastic end, or pushed underneath the panel. This way if you disconnect the panel, with the wire running through the grommet, you can leave the external connector in the void between the boot door and the bodywork, so it is out of the way. Or, if you decided not to run the cable through the grommet, you can simply gather it up and put it in the rear cupboard when not in use.

Very interesting job. Could you kindly explain a little bit the way you set your kit up in a t5 Beach? Thanks
Ignazio

A small update, now I'm a trade partner :)
Hi Roger, I just had a quick look in the VIP section and couldn't see what discount VIP members can get from you?
Also could you advise what your fitting charge is (naturally coming to you!)

Domestic Earth cable connected to a pair of red/black?

What's going on there then ?

Domestic Earth cable connected to a pair of red/black?

What's going on there then ?

Well, the text says that he needed to tape a guide wire to the cable to feed it through to the cupboard. I guess the earth is that guide wire.

I can confirm that having watched Roger doing it on Tuesday. That's the guide wire to pull the red/black wires through the narrow feeder hole so they can then be connected onto the MPPT inside the van. Simon

I suspected that was the case. ;)

It may be that something similar will happen in your set up. If the ehu charges the SB when (I assume) only connected to the LB, then the solar charger may provide a high enough voltage to do it to. I guess you have more sun than we have here, so you should get good output from your panels...

Get the voltmeter out and monitor both batteries before changing anything. I would be interested in the results.

Hope that helps.

Just re-reading these comments, I'd really like to sort something out as I'm totally paranoid about flattening the SB.

I've just ordered myself a multimeter - first I've ever had! I think you're saying Stoneybroke that since the van is already equipped with a system to charge the SB with the EHU (presumably) connected to the LB, then maybe the solar panels are actually already charging the SB without me having to do anything?! That would be awesome :)

What's the best way to check this with my multimeter? Presumably just looking at the volts in the SB - maybe checking it last thing before going to bed and again a couple of hours into the morning?

I've got to the point of giving the stereo 3 runs at night (switching it on 3 times and letting it run until it switches itself off) with no problems starting in the morning. Obviously using the electric sliding door too. Feels like a bit of Russian roulette, especially as I tend to camp very wild where it's unlikely I'll be getting a breakdown van to me!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just re-reading these comments, I'd really like to sort something out as I'm totally paranoid about flattening the SB.

I've just ordered myself a multimeter - first I've ever had! I think you're saying Stoneybroke that since the van is already equipped with a system to charge the SB with the EHU (presumably) connected to the LB, then maybe the solar panels are actually already charging the SB without me having to do anything?! That would be awesome :)

What's the best way to check this with my multimeter? Presumably just looking at the volts in the SB - maybe checking it last thing before going to bed and again a couple of hours into the morning?

I've got to the point of giving the stereo 3 runs at night (switching it on 3 times and letting it run until it switches itself off) with no problems starting in the morning. Obviously using the electric sliding door too. Feels like a bit of Russian roulette, especially as I tend to camp very wild where it's unlikely I'll be getting a breakdown van to me!

The Charger trickle charges the SB, but that is a direct connection from the Charger. The Solar Panel would be connected to just the Leisure Batteries and there is NO 2 way connection between the Leisure and Starter Batteries.
You could set up Solar Panels to charge both Leisure Batteries and Starter Battery. Problem is the sun doesn't shine at night, so repeated use of electric door and radio overnight could still leave you with a flat battery in the morning.

Problem is the sun doesn't shine at night, so repeated use of electric door and radio overnight could still leave you with a flat battery in the morning.

Thanks for that WG, I think my electrical knowledge does stretch that far My thinking is that the morning sun will do the job of recharging!!

So, at the moment still stuck with @Stoneybroke saying "DON'T DO IT!" and @Roger Donaghue saying put an emergency switched cable linking positive LB to positive SB.

benArrayx - do you ever use an iPod for a music source? I have an iPod dock that I bought from Ebay for about £25, it runs off mains when at home, AA batteries or 7½ volts. I got a plug in adaptor from Maplin for £7 to power it from the Leisure Batteries and it could play for weeks without having much effect on them. The sound is excellent and it is about the size of a cereal bowl.
upload_2016-4-22_7-9-2.png
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...bl+ipod+dock.TRS0&_nkw=jbl+ipod+dock&_sacat=0

Thanks for that WG, I think my electrical knowledge does stretch that far My thinking is that the morning sun will do the job of recharging!!

So, at the moment still stuck with @Stoneybroke saying "DON'T DO IT!" and @Roger Donaghue saying put an emergency switched cable linking positive LB to positive SB.

I think you would be better placed to:
1. Switch the sliding door to manual when wild camping.
2. As others have done - re-wire the Radio to be powered by the Leisure Battery.

You have a 100 amp/hour alternator which gives you an indication of how much power is pumped back into the Engine Battery to enable repeated starting.
A solar panel is at its most efficient when the sun is at 90' to the panel and that is not the case in the early morning.
I'm not an electrical guru but I don't see why you couldn't use Jump Leads from the Leisure battery to the Starter Battery in an emergency.

I'm not an electrical guru but I don't see why you couldn't use Jump Leads from the Leisure battery to the Starter Battery in an emergency.

Yes I have thought that too. Effectively what @Roger Donaghue says - a cable from LB positive to SB positive with a switch on it - a permanently in-place, switchable jump lead. Still makes me nervous because of what @Stoneybroke posted, but I can't see the harm myself. But then I know next to nothing about electrics and specifically the vehicle's charging systems.

Yes I have thought that too. Effectively what @Roger Donaghue says - a cable from LB positive to SB positive with a switch on it - a permanently in-place, switchable jump lead. Still makes me nervous because of what @Stoneybroke posted, but I can't see the harm myself. But then I know next to nothing about electrics and specifically the vehicle's charging systems.
Any cable, and/or switch placed between the 2 batteries must be rated for the maximum current that could be drawn.
This means the cable and switch must be the size of a good jumplead and preferably fused at both ends to avoid causing a fire if you accidentally cranked the engine and forgot to switch them apart.
Joining a flat battery to a fully charged battery can cause hundreds of amps to be drawn.
Please be carefull...

Appropriate cable and battery shunts are common on marine systems if you do a bit of googling...

Not sounding like a good idea to me Ben as an electrical idiot. Carrying some good jump leads so you can jump between LB and SB does sound attractive but I have no idea how easy it is to access LB, one under seat I presume, or best jump leads to get.

Mike

benArrayx - do you ever use an iPod for a music source? I have an iPod dock that I bought from Ebay for about £25, it runs off mains when at home, AA batteries or 7½ volts. I got a plug in adaptor from Maplin for £7 to power it from the Leisure Batteries and it could play for weeks without having much effect on them. The sound is excellent and it is about the size of a cereal bowl.
View attachment 13445
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...bl+ipod+dock.TRS0&_nkw=jbl+ipod+dock&_sacat=0

Hi Simon, thanks for this, I do already have a Bluetooth speaker (bought before I had the van) but the van stereo is much, much better (I got the Dynaudio speakers). I am into hi-fi so sound is important to me.