Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels from Solar Camper Solutions

Not if you have LED lights
No LED lights, just the poverty spec' candles :rolleyes:

I will need to look at my solar and other charging options, but probably not until I change the SCA roof for a high top..........

In the meantime, will drive around with headlights on (using power) in order to get the alternator to generate power :thumb

I have just plugged a USB charger into a 12v accessory port wired into the load port on a victron MPPT and to my surprise it lit up despite being dark outside. I can only assume that this power is coming from the leisure batteries and not off loading any extra power once batteries are full as I originally assumed?

Is this normal behaviour or is there a setting that needs changing?

Normal behaviour. The Victron runs a default algorythm controlling the load terminals, that default is set to protect the leisure batteries, and try and make sure they get a full charge at least once a day. It'll switch off the load terminals if it feels it can't achieve those goals, and turn it back on when it can.

Load isn't just for excess power.

From the manual:

3.8.3. BatteryLifeWhen the solar charger is not able to recharge the battery to its full capacity within one day, the result is often that the battery willcontinually be cycled between a ‘partially charged’ state and the ‘end of discharge’ state. This mode of operation (no regular fullrecharge) will destroy a lead-acid battery within weeks or months.The BatteryLife algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the loaddisconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly thefull 100%. From that point onward, the load disconnect level will be modulated so that a nearly 100% recharge is achieved aboutonce every week.

Victron manual said:
The available operation modes are:
  • BatteryLife (default setting):
    This algorithm is self-adapting and aims to maximise the battery's lifespan. For a detailed explanation of its functionality, please refer to the BatteryLife chapter for a description of its functionality.
  • Conventional algorithm 1:
    12V system: OFF when Vbatt < 11.1V, ON when Vbatt > 13.1V.
    24V system: OFF when Vbatt < 22.2V, ON when Vbatt > 26.2V.
    48V system: OFF when Vbatt < 44.4V, ON when Vbatt > 52.4V.
  • Conventional algorithm 2:
    12V system: OFF when Vbatt < 11.8V, ON when Vbatt > 14.0V.
    24V system: OFF when Vbatt < 23.6V, ON when Vbatt > 28.0V.
    48V system: OFF when Vbatt < 47.4V, ON when Vbatt > 56.0V.
  • Always off:
    The load output is always OFF.
  • Always on:
    The load output is always ON.
  • User defined algorithm 1:
    OFF when Vbatt < Vlow.
    ON when Vbatt > Vhigh.
  • User defined algorithm 2:
    OFF when Vbatt < Vlow or Vbatt > Vhigh.
    ON when Vbatt is between Vlow and Vhigh.
  • Automatic Energy Selector (AES):
    ON when Vbat > Vhigh.
    OFF when Vbat < Vhigh for the pre-selected AES time.
    OFF when Vbat < Vlow.
Link

Last edited: