Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorning your Cali in the current climate

Mimi

Mimi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
No big deal to sorn . Takes literally minutes on the dvla website to tax again .

Agnes

Agnes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have some of the most beautiful coastline and countryside in this country.

We will certainly be using our Cali to get out and about during this period.

Long walks and time away is what it is all about....a bit of fresh air and exercise thrown in too!

Just be sensible around any crowds.

Take your own food and be prepared to not use public facilities too often.
For sure! Am I missing something? Isnt the Cali the perfect peach for self isolation? Nice drive, nice walk somewhere remote, spot of lunch? Just dont let anyone in there to admire the fabulousness of it!

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
For sure! Am I missing something? Isnt the Cali the perfect peach for self isolation? Nice drive, nice walk somewhere remote, spot of lunch? Just dont let anyone in there to admire the fabulousness of it!
Tend to agree, so long as it’s within reach of home should you come down with the sweats. The big concern seems to be people travelling to rural areas then becoming ill and overwhelming the local NHS. I was thinking of camping in the hospital car park just in case, but on second thoughts, that’s more expensive than a campsite!

J

Jay gas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Tend to agree, so long as it’s within reach of home should you come down with the sweats. The big concern seems to be people travelling to rural areas then becoming ill and overwhelming the local NHS. I was thinking of camping in the hospital car park just in case, but on second thoughts, that’s more expensive than a campsite!
We picked up our Cali in January and are yet to go away for an overnight in her , now that’s looking like it may be off the cards for a while myself and our 5 year old will be camping on the drive this evening to say he’s excited is an understatement. I’m not sure if that is just from the thought of overnighting in dhylis or the fact we’re on day 5 of isolation due to him having a cough and now passing that on to mrs gas.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Confess when I got mine I slept on the drive and a couple of summers back we slept in a tent in the garden. Big kids!

Rawly

Rawly

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Surely we are the lucky ones. We have the ability to use our vans to help our sanity.
Essential travel has yet to be defined and won’t be until areas are locked down.
I’ve been reliably informed that lock down will be each town and it’s immediate area. Police and/or military will be at all roads to prevent vehicle movement. EG the Poole area into say Bournemouth area. They will also have the powers to stop to routine check in those areas if your journey is necessary. Also to stop pedestrians for the same reason. The reality is, that
Unless the government chooses to re- employ the 50,000 + retired Police as suggested by Lord Stevens (Ex Met Commissioner) Other than perimeter securing, it is impossible to Police.
If we all apply the social distancing rules, using our beloved Cali’s to find a change of scenery, should be fine.
So no need to Sorn!!!!

J

Jay gas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Surely we are the lucky ones. We have the ability to use our vans to help our sanity.
Essential travel has yet to be defined and won’t be until areas are locked down.
I’ve been reliably informed that lock down will be each town and it’s immediate area. Police and/or military will be at all roads to prevent vehicle movement. EG the Poole area into say Bournemouth area. They will also have the powers to stop to routine check in those areas if your journey is necessary. Also to stop pedestrians for the same reason. The reality is, that
Unless the government chooses to re- employ the 50,000 + retired Police as suggested by Lord Stevens (Ex Met Commissioner) Other than perimeter securing, it is impossible to Police.
If we all apply the social distancing rules, using our beloved Cali’s to find a change of scenery, should be fine.
So no need to Sorn!!!!
Make sure you have a full tank of fuel as it’s being reported that the virus is being passed on by fuel pump handles wear some disposable gloves then bin them

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I’ve been reliably informed that lock down will be each town and it’s immediate area. Police and/or military will be at all roads to prevent vehicle movement. EG the Poole area into say Bournemouth area. They will also have the powers to stop to routine check in those areas if your journey is necessary.
Who's "reliably informing" you of such plans?

Rawly

Rawly

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Who's "reliably informing" you of such plans?
Does it matter. You can either take it on board or not. It may not happen. Who knows.
it is surely common sense. But as we all know. Each day changes.
My simple point was. That within your ‘area’ you may well still be able to travel to somewhere to enjoy your Cali. All within the sensible guide lines government has suggested.
But..... nothing is more important than halting the spread of Covid 19. For you, your family and others around you. So if you feel you should totally isolate apart from necessary trips then so be it !!

J

Jay gas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When I first saw the title I thought it said snoring in your Cali in the current climate. When all this business is done with corona I really should get the old eyes checked out

Scorf

Scorf

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So now that the Government has attempted to clarify 'essential' travel, and has declared a general lockdown, with the message 'STAY AT HOME', what are peoples thoughts on SORN for the Cali if it isn't needed as the sole vehicle in a household??

Renewed in last month at £465 for the year, its bad enough seeing it just sit on the drive without it costing me £40 a month VED for the privilege.....

Easy enough to turn on or off via DVLA / GOV website, so what are the downsides?

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The vehicle tax website seems to be faulty as I cant get it to accept any method of payment, so maybe forced to SORN it for the moment.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The vehicle tax website seems to be faulty as I cant get it to accept any method of payment, so maybe forced to SORN it for the moment.
As VED receipts by the government are an average of £18 million a day, I'd be surprised if that doesn't get fixed pretty quickly! :)

I have to tax my Cali by end of this month so will try it myself later.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So now that the Government has attempted to clarify 'essential' travel, and has declared a general lockdown, with the message 'STAY AT HOME', what are peoples thoughts on SORN for the Cali if it isn't needed as the sole vehicle in a household??

Renewed in last month at £465 for the year, its bad enough seeing it just sit on the drive without it costing me £40 a month VED for the privilege.....

Easy enough to turn on or off via DVLA / GOV website, so what are the downsides?
You will get only full month refund. you also need to check with your Insurance as most have a clause that says that the vehicle must be on the road with valid VED. Not all but I've had that issue in the past.
Upside can also be that the VED when renewed moves it away from other Cali bills such as Insurance. I got hit with Insurance, MOT, servicing and VED all together.