Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorning your Cali in the current climate

Who's "reliably informing" you of such plans?
Does it matter. You can either take it on board or not. It may not happen. Who knows.
it is surely common sense. But as we all know. Each day changes.
My simple point was. That within your ‘area’ you may well still be able to travel to somewhere to enjoy your Cali. All within the sensible guide lines government has suggested.
But..... nothing is more important than halting the spread of Covid 19. For you, your family and others around you. So if you feel you should totally isolate apart from necessary trips then so be it !!

When I first saw the title I thought it said snoring in your Cali in the current climate. When all this business is done with corona I really should get the old eyes checked out

So now that the Government has attempted to clarify 'essential' travel, and has declared a general lockdown, with the message 'STAY AT HOME', what are peoples thoughts on SORN for the Cali if it isn't needed as the sole vehicle in a household??

Renewed in last month at £465 for the year, its bad enough seeing it just sit on the drive without it costing me £40 a month VED for the privilege.....

Easy enough to turn on or off via DVLA / GOV website, so what are the downsides?

The vehicle tax website seems to be faulty as I cant get it to accept any method of payment, so maybe forced to SORN it for the moment.

The vehicle tax website seems to be faulty as I cant get it to accept any method of payment, so maybe forced to SORN it for the moment.

As VED receipts by the government are an average of £18 million a day, I'd be surprised if that doesn't get fixed pretty quickly! :)

I have to tax my Cali by end of this month so will try it myself later.

So now that the Government has attempted to clarify 'essential' travel, and has declared a general lockdown, with the message 'STAY AT HOME', what are peoples thoughts on SORN for the Cali if it isn't needed as the sole vehicle in a household??

Renewed in last month at £465 for the year, its bad enough seeing it just sit on the drive without it costing me £40 a month VED for the privilege.....

Easy enough to turn on or off via DVLA / GOV website, so what are the downsides?
You will get only full month refund. you also need to check with your Insurance as most have a clause that says that the vehicle must be on the road with valid VED. Not all but I've had that issue in the past.
Upside can also be that the VED when renewed moves it away from other Cali bills such as Insurance. I got hit with Insurance, MOT, servicing and VED all together.

As VED receipts by the government are an average of £18 million a day, I'd be surprised if that doesn't get fixed pretty quickly! :)

I have to tax my Cali by end of this month so will try it myself later.

Follow-up: I just taxed my Cali online, it worked fine (although I'm 300 quid poorer if you can call that fine).

Just for interest, if you sorn'd a mid 2017 onwards Cali with the £450 / annum Road tax, would the 5? year rate be extended to cover the sorn months, or would it make no difference?

Just for interest, if you sorn'd a mid 2017 onwards Cali with the £450 / annum Road tax, would the 5? year rate be extended to cover the sorn months, or would it make no difference?
Not extended. Its 5 years from registration.

Not extended. Its 5 years from registration.
I make it 6 years, the day its registered + 5 years worth of renewals
Not sure what happens if you sorn now for say 3 months, when you come to do the last renewal under the scheme it could be 9 months at high rate & 3 months at low rate as you would be taxing it at 5 years 3 months old

I am sorning ours, I cant see us being able to use our van anytime in the next few months.

I am sorning ours, I cant see us being able to use our van anytime in the next few months.
Have you spared a thought for the economic
climate ahead. It might only be 24 quid or whatever but
im sure you could let that go, if everyone in the country
did the same, well, its gonna get tough. Especially
with brexit looming. :)

Have you spared a thought for the economic
climate ahead. It might only be 24 quid or whatever but
im sure you could let that go, if everyone in the country
did the same, well, its gonna get tough. Especially
with brexit looming. :)
Take your point but they had nearly 2 grand off me for the luxury tax in September plus the vat so I've paid plenty.

To date

3 motorbikes
3 cars
1 California

P.

If you stick to cars built before 1980, you don't need to bother to SORN (no VED payable).
:Grin

If you stick to cars built before 1980, you don't need to bother to SORN (no VED payable).
:Grin
Are you sure that's correct VD? I've always thought that you had to sorn whether VED was payable or not. I have a 1909 Renault that's been awaiting a mechanical restoration for about five years. I SORNed it when I took it off the road and nothing was said then.

If I SORN my Cali tonight before 1st April, how much will the tax be when I reapply it again in say, June ?

Are you sure that's correct VD? I've always thought that you had to sorn whether VED was payable or not. I have a 1909 Renault that's been awaiting a mechanical restoration for about five years. I SORNed it when I took it off the road and nothing was said then.

Yes sorry you're right, if you take the insurance off it you should then SORN. (I just keep my classics insured for the whole year as it's not super-expensive and if the garage burns down I'm still covered).

Yes sorry you're right, if you take the insurance off it you should then SORN. (I just keep my classics insured for the whole year as it's not super-expensive and if the garage burns down I'm still covered).
Same here, including the Renault. :thumb