Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel carrier bolt spring clip removal.

Outanbout

Outanbout

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hello all.
Has anyone needed to remove the spring retaining clip (see photo) fitted to the near side spare wheel carrier bolt? If yes, how did you manage it?

Chris.

047E0C02-02D5-40E2-8BC3-3770AE4035EF_1_102_o.jpeg

Firstly, can I ask why do you want to remove it - is the bolt seized?

Are you aware that (if you just want the spare wheel off) if it's the one whose head sits in a keyway-shaped cut-out (YES IT IS, I CAN NOW SEE FROM YOUR PIC!), then you only need to unwind it just a few turns, then you wind the other (cradle clamping) bolt ALL the way out. This allows you to swing the cradle about the pivot at the other end so the large diameter portion of the keyhole cut-out lines up with the flange on the bolt head, and the cradle will then drop.

To get the clip off you'll have to use a long flat-bladed screwdriver as a chisel / drift, to tear it / drive it off the far end of the bolt - it has at least 3 (maybe 6 in your case) barbs, which you'll never release by improvising. I expect the VW removal method is destruction too!

BTW, those large 'penny washer'-type clips they use to fix the crinkled aluminium exhaust etc. heat shields to the rear underside in that vicinity are similar, and I did manage to get one of those off and to re-use it when I took everything off to fit a tow hitch, but that 's because I had access all around it.

(when I rang the workshop at Lookers to ask if there was a special tool, the mechanic said no, skill / dissection were the only methods, and I was to come in if I needed replacements and he'd give me a few!)

Here's mine - sorry, I couldn't get a very good shot - looks like it has fewer flutes / barbs than yours?:

BA7EF482-D401-45FC-AA53-A995B4C208AF.jpeg

Thanks Johnny for getting involved. It's appreciated.
My thoughts = yours for the removal of the clip. Was just fishing for alternative ideas.
It's a 3 barbed clip.
I'm looking at making my own security bolt.
I already have one of those Trilock ones, but a heavy duty mole wrench will easily unwind it despite the rotary ring.

Chris.

I converted a Caddy into a small camper for my daughter between autumn '21 and May last year, and before she set off on her maiden trip - a 3 month lap of Europe - I had concerns at the risk of her spare wheel being thieved, so had a think about a cheap and cheerful way to make it a little more secure (no surprises, it has the very same cradle arrangement as the California).

I found an old padlock that I'd used on my shed, with a nice thick hasp, and it was ONLY JUST possible (ideal!) to fiddle this through the LARGE end of the keyhole slot and a central hole in the aft end of the cradle, and to lock it, thereby taking out MOST OF the free play and hopefully preventing the cradle from being swung over. OK, if someone's determined then I guess they might still wind the bolt out or jemmy things to release the wheel, but my hope in doing this was that it'd be enough of a deterrent that they'd look elsewhere.

It was a good quality lock with decent seals and a cover over the keyhole. I also dosed it very heavily with 3-in-1 and WD40 down the key slot and the hasp holes, before she set sail.

When I checked it at 3 months and 8300 miles later on her return, it opened beautifully, even though it had sat under the back bumper in the weather all that time!

I'll take a picture later when she gets home in case of interest - here you are;

62338058-210E-4C07-B26F-B9D39E5919D6.jpeg4FDD2009-80D1-46BC-914A-480E7A2F8897.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny for getting involved. It's appreciated.
My thoughts = yours for the removal of the clip. Was just fishing for alternative ideas.
It's a 3 barbed clip.
I'm looking at making my own security bolt.
I already have one of those Trilock ones, but a heavy duty mole wrench will easily unwind it despite the rotary ring.

Chris.
I got my 3 barbed clip off with a mixture of tools (and a little swearing), mainly two pairs of long point tweezers and a screwdriver. It was undamaged after and is spring steel.

I had ordered an alloy fifth 17" wheel and it came with the 235 all weather tyre (as also ordered). When I did a trial tyre removal before setting off on a long trip, soon after delivery new, that tyre/wheel combination appeared to make tyre removal impossible (I tried over and over again, and was aware of the need to swing the cradle), but the stud that remained always got in the way of the wheel and tyre together which were just a little too thick.

I got my 3 barbed clip off with a mixture of tools (and a little swearing), mainly two pairs of long point tweezers and a screwdriver. It was undamaged after and is spring steel.

I had ordered an alloy fifth 17" wheel and it came with the 235 all weather tyre (as also ordered). When I did a trial tyre removal before setting off on a long trip, soon after delivery new, that tyre/wheel combination appeared to make tyre removal impossible (I tried over and over again, and was aware of the need to swing the cradle), but the stud that remained always got in the way of the wheel and tyre together which were just a little too thick.
Blimey, well done - I normally consider myself the impro, king when it comes to doing a job where either the 'special tool' isn't available or doesn't even exist, so I'm shamed that I copped out (even by proxy) so readily!!! Chapeau!

Have you considered using a Sparesafe fitting?

This overlaps the security bolt head and makes it difficult/impossible for anyone to remove the bolt quickly. Not the prettiest thing though.

Available at the forum shop.

Have you considered using a Sparesafe fitting?

This overlaps the security bolt head and makes it difficult/impossible for anyone to remove the bolt quickly. Not the prettiest thing though.

Available at the forum shop.

I bought one, and painted it black (Lidl Rust Protection Spray Paint) don't notice it at all.

Blimey, well done - I normally consider myself the impro, king when it comes to doing a job where either the 'special tool' isn't available or doesn't even exist, so I'm shamed that I copped out (even by proxy) so readily!!! Chapeau!
Thank you! It was a quite a fiddle, got to admit. I had reverse circlip pliers but they were useless in this case, I had a comfort rug, two torches (head and magnetic) and as I say two long point pliers and a long screwdriver and slowly eased it off using all three.

Back