Spare wheel stolen - despite Trilock wheel lock

• Thread starter ThisIsChristoph
  • Start date
ThisIsChristoph

ThisIsChristoph

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all, early this morning our spare wheel got stolen from under our van. I had only just replaced one of the bolts with a Trilock wheel lock! I didn’t fancy the size and aesthetics (and the weight?) of the big red thing some here seem to be using.
I purchased the Trilock from the club shop a while ago, and will be reviewing it appropriately..!
What is the consensus these days on how to best protect the spare?

I never used the spare so I don’t even know what it looks like. Any ideas on what a replacement would be? Same size of current wheel/tire?

IMG_20190624_123957.jpg
Mine looks like this. Well, now it looks even more rusty, because this picture is from 2019. The tyre on it is one of the first tyres where the van was delivered on. If you look at the time stamp it says 2809, so it's from week 28 of 2009. So apart from you really need a spare tyre, it's of no other use for anyone.
I luckily still have mine.

The ‘red thing’ slows them down, as they have to cut through this first, before cutting the security bolt.

If you have standard (for t6.1) 17" alloys then the spare will be a 17" either a steel or upgraded to an alloy. 215/60 17 or 235/55 17 tyre.
Any bigger from factory and the wheel won't fit in the holder so doesn't come with one.
If they were changed later then it may still have a 17" spare.

The Spare safe helps as it limits direct access to the security bolt in the first place.

My big red thing is no longer dog knob red. All that paint falls off after year or so . Mines black now
Same here - removed the rust and sprayed with black Hammerite. Looks much better.

Hi all, early this morning our spare wheel got stolen from under our van. I had only just replaced one of the bolts with a Trilock wheel lock! I didn’t fancy the size and aesthetics (and the weight?) of the big red thing some here seem to be using.
I purchased the Trilock from the club shop a while ago, and will be reviewing it appropriately..!
What is the consensus these days on how to best protect the spare?

I never used the spare so I don’t even know what it looks like. Any ideas on what a replacement would be? Same size of current wheel/tire?
Think you answered your own question.

View attachment 125965
Mine looks like this. Well, now it looks even more rusty, because this picture is from 2019. The tyre on it is one of the first tyres where the van was delivered on. If you look at the time stamp it says 2809, so it's from week 28 of 2009. So apart from you really need a spare tyre, it's of no other use for anyone.
I luckily still have mine.
Yep I have one of these....steelie bought off ebay new in 2015 and the VW dealer recently noted that the tyre should be replaced at the last health check

Big red thing repainted (red paint falls off) silver and wrapped with a sticker, lasted about 4 years so far

Probably needs doing again soon

Yep I have one of these....steelie bought off ebay new in 2015 and the VW dealer recently noted that the tyre should be replaced at the last health check
Every time I change tyres, I keep the best used tyre for spare. Now this was the only tyre I had left over, and it appeared to be one of the first tyres where the van was delivered on.
But apart from that, the times I really have to use it (2x in 14 years) doesn't really feed the need for a fresh tyre, just to sit underneath, waiting for that one final moment.
And although I haven't used it much, it is reassuring for me that I will still be mobile when a puncture happens.

This is the risk with old spare tyres; they can look fine when in situ but as soon as they get used the rubber can crack from the movement. Can’t remember but fairly sure 10 years is the recommended limit for tyre age?

Surely it is just as easy to take the van!

You don’t actually need to cut the bolt, the thread is accessible without the red cover, so could just be removed by unscrewing with molegrips.

(…Yes. Taking the van would be quicker…punch owner in the face, take keys & drive off! )

My big red thing is no longer dog knob red. All that paint falls off after year or so . Mines black now
Painted mine black too after the red started to flake off.

Thanks all for your replies and commiserations.

Looking at it again, the thieving shits seem to have just popped the spinning ring off the security bolt and taken a good grip wrench to it.
Also, they weren’t loud about the van was right outside our bedroom!

I do NOT recommend the Trilock from the club shop. Not sure I want to buy a big red thing that starts flaking after a year, and perhaps we don’t even need a spare. Grumble.
bcb335c236d6c0f6f29c71566504a598.jpg

105121cfb42b58fe80a479a6c13f0faf.jpg

8e3f9946cca85c7a80b7bb4a63e749ff.jpg

A 150N/mm torque and even a good wrench would have been ineffective.... reminds me I've snapped another 1/2in extension on mine recently using a 600mm powerbar to remove wheels

Hammerite red, job done.

The big red thing prevents the mole grip method. If they are determined they will get anything off but it might make them walk to the next transporter instead. Those gunge kits are useless. Much prefer a spare. Even if the AA have to change it you are back to full speed.

Thanks all for your replies and commiserations.

Looking at it again, the thieving shits seem to have just popped the spinning ring off the security bolt and taken a good grip wrench to it.
Also, they weren’t loud about the van was right outside our bedroom!

I do NOT recommend the Trilock from the club shop. Not sure I want to buy a big red thing that starts flaking after a year, and perhaps we don’t even need a spare. Grumble.
bcb335c236d6c0f6f29c71566504a598.jpg

105121cfb42b58fe80a479a6c13f0faf.jpg

8e3f9946cca85c7a80b7bb4a63e749ff.jpg
IMO Get the big red thing. Before installing it, spray with primer and then black. You’ll have several years before needing to repaint (if ever). When black, it’s inconspicuous.

Maybe I'm overlooking something but why don't people use the doughnut style spares? Doesn't have to be a perfect match size wise. I had one in my Audi S4 and used it in anger just once in the 5 years I owned the car. Worked just fine.

Back