Starter Battery Cable Install For Solar Setup

dspuk

dspuk

Dave
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
OK - I've had a want to swap out the Victron MPPT for a Epever one for a few weeks now to charge the starter battery as well.

Why? Had a flat starter once and like the idea of keeping it topped up with spare solar when the leisures go into float.

After trawling every thread I could find there was literally no one guide on how to do it - I did though manage to piece it together from the various snippets of info I found.

As such, and I did the job today, here are some pics and a guide for the next willing soul that comes along.

Step 1 was to get the Epever unit and cable. Found both on Ebay for 90 quid. The cable came with a 40A fuse in it which I have changed to 20A. I'll down that to 5A when I get a mo as there is max 1A going through the cable.

Step 2 was to start the cable off. I threaded it through the trim panel below and after a couple of tries got it to poke through into the back of the kitchen unit. This back has a perfect shelf and way to the back as it is where the water pipe and EHU are located that also go through the back.

CableEntry.jpegCable Exit.jpeg

Step 3 - I then needed to thread to the back. Using the cable pulls I got from installing the dashcam, and again, after a couple of tries, managed to do it. Bit of sticky then pulls through the cable.

WireExit.jpegWireEntry.jpegCablePull.jpeg

Step 4 - Seat removal. Next step was going to be the trickiest - attach to the relay. I decided to attach the cable end to the MPPT unit as once attached to the battery it would be "live" with 12V so with rather not do that with a live cable to the unit. First thing here is to remove the seat.

Two bolts front and back and then lift the seat off the front bolts and lean forward. Be cafeul not to snap the wire for heated seats and airbag.

FrontBolt.jpegRearBolt.jpegLeanSeat.jpeg

Ok - ready to go.

Step 5 - Attach the cable. For this I first removed the cable that linked the leisures to the relay. This stopped any possibility of a short across the relay when working on it and affecting the battery. I was a little naughty and did not disconnect the main battery. This would have "made everything safe" but I did not want the faff of everything needing to be reset. So first, remove leisure cable, second, remove the relay, third, remove the battery bolt for the starter cable and attach the wire from the MPPT unit. Voila - checked the MPPT, all ok.

RemoveLeisureCable.jpegCableOn.jpeg

Then, step 6 - make it all neat. Tidied away the cable and put the rear MPPT in place, making side cables neat.

RelayBack.jpegCableNeat.jpegRearConsole.jpeg

So far - everything ok - but I need a full day of sun and after that has settled a run out just to let the numbers settle.

I must say, prefer the Victron unit, but, time will tell if this keeps the leisures in shape.

Last edited:
There’s a new Epever Duo coming out in Q3 (maybe Q4) from Epever in China.
(This will have a new BlueTooth module to allow taking multiple days of data analysing) (good huh!)

But, in the meanwhile….
Which Epever do you have ?
Mine is DR2210N DDS

Be aware, if you have a few items running from lesuires (dashcams, router, Starlink, fan, extra bits n bobs) then the Epever never goes into Lesuire float mode, thus, will never charge your starter.
This is the exact problemo I had.
Thus why I moved to 3x solar panels.
As by 10:45 in the morning, my 12v lesuires, have charged to 13.8v and at float, so then the Epever will start charging your starter.

Epever sent me this:
1.That means the generate voltage of solar panels must exceed the battery voltage about 2V.
So you must get 15.8v from Solar, otherwise BATT2 will never get any voltage or 1amp…

2.If the controller in the float charging mode,solar panels will charge batt2.

And it seems like controller is not charging battery 2,and the solar panels only has 14.3V?That means the generate voltage of solar panels not exceed 2V about battery 1,so it will not charge battery 2.How's the weather in your country?

Download the Epever duo racer manual and check out the requirements for float and then to charge your starter.

I’m using the 20a DuoRacer and getting 50v / 60 watt / 3.5a from 3x120w panels. On a cloudy day.

(This will have a new BlueTooth module to allow taking multiple days of data analysing) (good huh!)

But, in the meanwhile….
Mine is DR2210N DDS

Be aware, if you have a few items running from lesuires (dashcams, router, Starlink, fan, extra bits n bobs) then the Epever never goes into Lesuire float mode, thus, will never charge your starter.
As by 10:45 in the morning, my 12v lesuires, have charged to 13.8v and at float, so then the Epever will start charging your starter.

Epever sent me this:
1.That means the generate voltage of solar panels must exceed the battery voltage about 2V.
So you must get 15.8v from Solar, otherwise BATT2 will never get any voltage or 1amp…

And it seems like controller is not charging battery 2,and the solar panels only has 14.3V?That means the generate voltage of solar panels not exceed 2V about battery 1,so it will not charge battery 2.How's the weather in your country?

Download the Epever duo racer manual and check out the requirements for float and then to charge your starter.

I’m using the 20a DuoRacer and getting 50v / 60 watt / 3.5a from 3x120w panels. On a cloudy day.
Nice - I have the 20A version, same model number - paid 69.99. Nothing really running from my leisures apart from the fridge when on site - so last weekend they were full in the sun by lunch. Should then trickle the starter in the afternoon. The manual has the info you mentioned above on when the leisure trickle kicks in. Of course, when there is less sun, not ever going to get there. Thing about UK living. Maybe one day I’ll get a second panel, but no burning need and three would be overkill for my usage.

Last edited:

Epever sent me this:

10am and the starter now charging. Happy with that.

StarterCharge.jpg

But, in the meanwhile….
Mine is DR2210N DDS

Epever sent me this:

I've stopped selling the bluetooth modules for Epever chargers, specifically the Duo Racer chargers I sell. They make great, super reliable chargers, but, have a terrible history of app support.

I initially started selling the BT modules when the Duo Racers were launched, and the app "worked" - it was like something written as a 1st school programming project! :) You even had to press refresh to get updated info. I stopped selling the BT modules as customers complained about the app (also, you had to side-load it on android as they wouldn't put it on Google Play store.

Then, about a year ago, a new app came out, "Epever Pair" and it was a revelation - modern, worked perfectly, and was on both app stores (would have been nice to have been told about this instead of discovering by chance through a customer!). I started selling BT modules again.

Then... this year about 2 months ago, the latest version of iOS broke bluetooth support with the Epever BT dongles. They launched a new BT dongle which they assured me work with all phones, so I bought a batch. They work even less, and they have abandoned Epever Pair in favour of "Solar Guardian" which is confusing to say the least, and you have to create an account to even start playing with it. I could not get it to work on Android, my customers could not get it to work on iOS or Android. Epever then suggested my clients install a 3rd party Bluetooth tool - I gave up at this point and sent all the new and old BT dongles back to my supplier for a refund.

It's a shambles and the end of any dealings with Bluetooth modules for Epever chargers for me. I now stick with MT11 remote displays for the Duo Racer chargers, or if people definitely want bluetooth access AND starter charging I sell them a Victron MPPT and then recommend they buy a DC-DC Victron charger (I don't sell these as they are beyond the scope of my remote support). Such a shame as the market is very limited for dual battery chargers that have a good bluetooth app.

I've stopped selling the bluetooth modules for Epever chargers, specifically the Duo Racer chargers I sell. They make great, super reliable chargers, but, have a terrible history of app support.

I initially started selling the BT modules when the Duo Racers were launched, and the app "worked" - it was like something written as a 1st school programming project! :) You even had to press refresh to get updated info. I stopped selling the BT modules as customers complained about the app (also, you had to side-load it on android as they wouldn't put it on Google Play store.

Then, about a year ago, a new app came out, "Epever Pair" and it was a revelation - modern, worked perfectly, and was on both app stores (would have been nice to have been told about this instead of discovering by chance through a customer!). I started selling BT modules again.

Then... this year about 2 months ago, the latest version of iOS broke bluetooth support with the Epever BT dongles. They launched a new BT dongle which they assured me work with all phones, so I bought a batch. They work even less, and they have abandoned Epever Pair in favour of "Solar Guardian" which is confusing to say the least, and you have to create an account to even start playing with it. I could not get it to work on Android, my customers could not get it to work on iOS or Android. Epever then suggested my clients install a 3rd party Bluetooth tool - I gave up at this point and sent all the new and old BT dongles back to my supplier for a refund.

It's a shambles and the end of any dealings with Bluetooth modules for Epever chargers for me. I now stick with MT11 remote displays for the Duo Racer chargers, or if people definitely want bluetooth access AND starter charging I sell them a Victron MPPT and then recommend they buy a DC-DC Victron charger (I don't sell these as they are beyond the scope of my remote support). Such a shame as the market is very limited for dual battery chargers that have a good bluetooth app.
Thanks for that @Roger Donoghue - I have to be honest and say your e-mail advice was right around the reality of trickle charging and the Epever unit, IMHO, is not that efficient. It barely trickles the starter unless blaring sun, and it does not seem to bother to get the starter above 12.3 which mine seems to stubbornly sit at all day (which is only 70% charged apparently). And finally, the side bars on the monitor for battery “fullness” are always at half - even for the leisures when they return to rest. I think I’ll have a look at the DC-DC Victron and how to fit - the Victron make is streets ahead of Epever and likely perform accordingly. The lack of BT is not a killer TBH, but it would be nice.

Last edited:
Actually the charger is fine. It's just the BT side is poor. The algorithm for charging the starter is quite rigid. It won't charge it unless several criteria are met, and then, not much past 12.6v (which is 100% full at rest). It waits until their is either excess power from the solar, or the starter dips below a preset voltage, and then, it's a 1amp max maintenance charge.

The bars on the starter battery icon have to allow for 11v to 14.4v , and when the battery is full at rest it is at 12.6v, half the bars. So understandably I get customers asking if something is wrong. On the leisure side, which is always under charge , the bars are often full.

They would be better off making the starter battery icon represent 11v to 12.6v, so it showed full bars at 12.6v, but then I guess they would say what happens during solar charging when it goes well above 12,6v, or when the engine is running? So in that respect they are right in their approach, but I think they would do well do make it much more clear that half the bars on the starter battery is in deed full.

They certainly work as they should or I'd not sell them. They are damn bulky though.

Votronic make a nice unit ,but no Bluetooth, nor any kind of built in display, and the LCD add on display is £100!! Western Co , in Italy, make a dual unit too, that switches over batteries with a relay. It has a nice BT app, but, I had a lot of failures and they were such a pain to deal with I sent all the chargers back, and my supplier did the same, as every time there was a fault they wanted the units posted back to Italy....