Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Step illumination with on/off control extra option

AndrewCook680

AndrewCook680

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi
im curious about the factory extra option “Step illumination with on/off control extra option”
I had always assumed this was the exterior strip light below the awning. And didn’t actually spec it on my order.
but I understand now the awning light might be standard, and this extra factory option just means the awninglight comes on when you unlock the van with key fob ?

Hi
im curious about the factory extra option “Step illumination with on/off control extra option”
I had always assumed this was the exterior strip light below the awning. And didn’t actually spec it on my order.
but I understand now the awning light might be standard, and this extra factory option just means the awninglight comes on when you unlock the van with key fob ?
I believe this option is (or was when I ordered) the exterior strip light under the awning.
So do you have the light under the awning?

I believe this option is (or was when I ordered) the exterior strip light under the awning.
So do you have the light under the awning?

only place order in august, so van not built yet

For the price, I’d add it.
Agree, its not just a step light, its a very good light for illuminating the whole area under the awning.
and once your van is delivered ask the dealer how to stop the light coming on every time you lock the van!
The logic is bizarre, with big red power supply off, you can unlock the van , open the sliding door etc all in the dark. Shut the door & lock the van & the light comes on & then goes off after a few minutes.

It is nothing like that! I have this option also, it is the light inside the cabin that illuminate under the dash over your feet

It is nothing like that! I have this option also, it is the light inside the cabin that illuminate under the dash over your feet
That’s the footwell lights & they come as standard.

The useful question that needs answering is has anyone ordered a GC with out the option
“Step illumination with on/off control” and therefore did you get the strip light fitted above the sliding door as standard, and if so what on off control do you have? As the option is only £60 which seems very cheap for the strip light itself in hindsight.

Looking at GC’s on the auto trader for sale they ALL have this light fitted even if there is no awning and the above mentioned option is not noted in the spec list.

The
The useful question that needs answering is has anyone ordered a GC with out the option
“Step illumination with on/off control” and therefore did you get the strip light fitted above the sliding door as standard, and if so what on off control do you have? As the option is only £60 which seems very cheap for the strip light itself in hindsight.

Looking at GC’s on the auto trader for sale they ALL have this light fitted even if there is no awning and the above mentioned option is not noted in the spec list.
The awning light is standard and the same for everybody there is not extra option and all Grand Californias have the same model, color, Intensity and switch, they are included in the price it is not an extra.

The

The awning light is standard and the same for everybody there is not extra option and all Grand Californias have the same model, color, Intensity and switch, they are included in the price it is not an extra.
In the UK on the configurator there is an option “Step illumination with on/off control” this may differ from options in Europe, as very often is the case. This is nothing to do with footwell lights. The footwell lights do not have on/off control.
What is being asked is what additional functionality does this option bring on a UK ordered right hand drive Grand California.

3mins 30 in briefly mentions the awning light but not any clearer as to what the £60 gets you. On first watch I thought it was the light itself, now not so sure!

In the UK on the configurator there is an option “Step illumination with on/off control” this may differ from options in Europe, as very often is the case. This is nothing to do with footwell lights. The footwell lights do not have on/off control.
What is being asked is what additional functionality does this option bring on a UK ordered right hand drive Grand California.
I’m aware of the option since I have this same doubt as you 2 years ago, was confirmed by the dealer as footwell lights and actually we discussed that on the German forum which I found the discussion for you so you can check with a translator, yes it is the footwell lights:

Now I’m curious about the people that have that as standard maybe they are charging just the switch in UK?

Probably they have the option code on your configurator? If you send me
That I can compare to the code I probably have in my invoice.

Just took a picture that is the switch and it’s location

F1502252-D571-4F27-B1C6-A4DEC189FA84.jpeg

1428A053-CE75-4A99-A42B-32C564845B7E.jpeg

I’m aware of the option since I have this same doubt as you 2 years ago, was confirmed by the dealer as footwell lights and actually we discussed that on the German forum which I found the discussion for you so you can check with a translator, yes it is the footwell lights:

Now I’m curious about the people that have that as standard maybe they are charging just the switch in UK?

Probably they have the option code on your configurator? If you send me
That I can compare to the code I probably have in my invoice.
config code is 9N2

The button you have shared looks more like the motion sensor button to do with the alarm. What year is your GC?

config code is 9N2

The button you have shared looks more like the motion sensor button to do with the alarm. What year is your GC?
Mine is 21, and the switch is indeed the alarm button according to the owners manual, I will look for my invoice to check the step light option to see if is the same code as yours.

That's the alarm interior sensor button.

California Chris - a UK dealer certainly suggests its the over sliding door light that you get for the £60 ( he's not always right)

The front footwell lights have no switch as far as I can see in my van.

Playing with the configurator, if you show the sliding door side of the van & toggle the option on & off it does redraw the van, if you turn it round to the bathroom side it doesn't redraw. To me that suggests the option is something on the outside of the van.

looking through the 2nd hand vans - the area where the light goes does appear black on some & silver on other vans & not necessarily linked to van colour.

Do we have anyone here with no footwell lights?

Any body else thinking we have all been done over by the dealers? am thinking there's a big pile of these laying around somewhere that are supposed to have been fitted.Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 13.39.36.png

It must be something from the crafter itself, if you go to the crafter configuration you will see the same option as an extra so is no something from the Grand California!

It must be something from the crafter itself, if you go to the crafter configuration you will see the same option as an extra so is no something from the Grand California!
In the crafter configurator it’s listed under the “External” options, if it was front footwells I would expect it would be under “driver convenience”
Anyone want to check the MAN configurator?

I checked and the option I ordered was the same one “9N2 Trittstufenbeleuchtung vorne” till today I believed on what the dealer told me and was confirmed by the German forum that it was the footwell lights, if it is outside I don’t know what it is.

awning light terrible i have buy. is same than interrogation lamp from security service meeting where demand answer from you ussr you face.

light too much is white intensity and not is suitable pleasure to use. extra bad news is this lamp is brain of self - when i night time close van this light brain decide self to illumination all area and is other peoples sudden awareness you not asleep.

is cheap buy - is cost much bad conveniences. better is you buy pleasant lamp.

awning light terrible i have buy. is same than interrogation lamp from security service meeting where demand answer from you ussr you face.

light too much is white intensity and not is suitable pleasure to use. extra bad news is this lamp is brain of self - when i night time close van this light brain decide self to illumination all area and is other peoples sudden awareness you not asleep.

is cheap buy - is cost much bad conveniences. better is you buy pleasant lamp.
Always a pleasure to hear from you @Holidaymaker

Back