Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sticky Roof

M

muttley

Guest User
When I open the roof, there is a brief pause before the roof seems to jerk open the first few inches. It seems as if the rubber seal is sticking slightly, and is particularly noticeable in warm weather. Is this a normal characteristic for the electric roofs, do they all do this?

Thanks,
Simon

I find they do this when new, but not once they've been used a few times

I did wonder if it might be something to do with the ISOTOP liner. This could be creating a bit of extra resistance to the airflow, thus impeding the initial opening of the roof.

It doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but it obviously isn't a common issue.

Simon

It happened to mine the other weekend and I put it down to the fact that I hadn't opened the roof for a while whilst the van had been in the garage.

My cali does this too, every time it opens, it's only 1 month old and roof seal seems to stick initially before release, had a look at the front roof seal and it does feel sticky to touch. I had an issue with door seals on an A4 and audi used some door seal silicon lube to resolve the problem, think I'll ask my VW dealer.

sbmcd said:
My cali does this too, every time it opens, it's only 1 month old and roof seal seems to stick initially before release, had a look at the front roof seal and it does feel sticky to touch. I had an issue with door seals on an A4 and audi used some door seal silicon lube to resolve the problem, think I'll ask my VW dealer.

Just clean the seals off with hot water & washup detergent.

I regularly clean mine & the roof where it seals to, which gets filthy on the right hand side.

I get this too. Had the roof up yesterday, whilst cleaning my Cali, to do along all the inside edges. It wasn't too dirty in the front channel. Opened it up again this morning to fit the bellows bungee and it was still a bit 'sticky' on opening, despite yesterdays clean.
Better to have a good seal than one that lets in water I suppose.
:http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=126&t=4179#P

I tried the washing with detergent suggestion but roof still opens with a pop, I have emailed VW re the silicone grease will keep you posted.

I got a reply from VW:

"I have come across this before, it possible is tree sap
A wipe with a clear silicon spray on a cloth is enough (good for the window seal too)
to sort it"

Now off to the shops, think I will go for the silicon grease as this should last longer.