Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof unequal when lowering?

S

SimonSpain

VIP Member
Hi all...and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS :D :D :hello

....has anyone else had this problem? Roof raises equally, but lowers slightly faster on the right-hand side. When half raised and lowered seems ok, only when lowering from fully open. Sure it didn't always do this. :sad

:thanks

IMAG0138.jpg

I noticed ours does the same but the opposite side is higher. It opens and closes fine, so I was just keeping an eye on it.

That pic is worse than it usually is...usually is about 2 cm more on one side to the other. I don't mind if it's 'normal' but would worry if it causes stress on the delicate aluminium roof or any bolting points....ie one side is stressed more as the other is lower and not equally supporting the weight of the roof. Any more info or ideas would be greatfully received... :thanks :thanks

Thanks for your post! :thanks :thanks

I noticed ours does the same but the opposite side is higher. It opens and closes fine, so I was just keeping an eye on it.
Hello

Did you resolve you pop up roof closing problem?.....we have just returned from 4 nights away and our roof opened ok but on lowering for the last 2 nights it closed at an angle. Ok on the drivers side & "sticking" above passenger. Both mornings weather fine no wind previous closures nice & level. Van only 18 month old.

Could it be a lubrication job if one of the joints is a bit stiff?

Had this the other day. Raised the roof only to note that the passenger side lacked any degree of tension. On lowering the roof it went down at an angle so I had to stop it and open it again and this seemed to cure the initial problem.

Any ideas?

Hello all update on my roof

Picked up our Cali today after VW replaced the roof pump under warranty our van not 2 yrs old until September.

Hopefully this will solve the unequal lowering problem.

As the van is our daily vehicle & we have also had 137 nights away since September 2013 it does make us think if the van had been used less this problem would have arisen out of warranty !!!

As usual great service from VW Preston.

I have had the same issue with my Cali, (2014).
I've registered the issue with VW customer services and it is booked in on August 4th to be looked at.

Our Cali was only 5 weeks old when we had a serious problem with the Roof. When lowering down it became uneven and was higher on the nearside compared to the offside. It put a dent in the roof and the roof open warning light was on, even after we had eventually managed to lower it. Took it to Benfield VW in Newcastle who said the issues was not covered under warranty however as the vehicle was brand new they would pay for the damage to the roof and replace the bellows. Basically VW (not the dealer) said it was our fault that we had not put the roof down correctly (even though we had) and that this had caused the problem. Needless to say I was not happy with this comment, especially when they (VW) said if the problem occurred again, it would definitely not be covered under warranty and that they would not pay for the repair................!!!!!!!

Our Cali was only 5 weeks old when we had a serious problem with the Roof. When lowering down it became uneven and was higher on the nearside compared to the offside. It put a dent in the roof and the roof open warning light was on, even after we had eventually managed to lower it. Took it to Benfield VW in Newcastle who said the issues was not covered under warranty however as the vehicle was brand new they would pay for the damage to the roof and replace the bellows. Basically VW (not the dealer) said it was our fault that we had not put the roof down correctly (even though we had) and that this had caused the problem. Needless to say I was not happy with this comment, especially when they (VW) said if the problem occurred again, it would definitely not be covered under warranty and that they would not pay for the repair................!!!!!!!

That is absolutely shocking

What was it they said you did or didn't do when lowering the roof to cause the damage?

As a side note never seen so many members online at the same time lets all stick together.

They intimated that we had not opened a door / window, thus building up of air pressure inside the vehicle, which resulted in the problem. Every time we lower the roof now, we video it!

Ok, I went through this long painful cycle back in 2011 when we purchased our Cali from new.
I also noticed the roof closing a little asymmetrically and told the VW dealership. They went back to VW in germany who at the time had never heard of the problem (assuming there was one).
The dealer then said, ok I have three calis out in the yard lets go check them out. Sure enough all three had the same characteristic.
VW then proceeded to change the hydraulics, the pump and even the control panel! but no amount of fiddling, changing of parts or going back to VW ever resolved the issue.
Let's say that VW simply said it was an 'undocumented design feature' and normal to its operation. I have had this since 2011, never had any problems opening or closing the roof, nor with hydraulics etc. so I have put it down to one of the many quirks this camper has.
I would add that if the lean is extreme then you probably have a serious hydraulics problem, however if the lean is only of several cm or less then it's probably not an issue...
My Cali has tended to correct itself over time and is now much less noticeable..

How many ways are there to push a button?!
If it is an electric roof and it breaks when the warnings are followed then it is a vw issue. End of.

We have had no problems with our roof lowering and raising till last night.
First of all noticed the driver side of the roof tent was not as tensioned as normal.
Thought I would just reset it tried to lower and then raise. The Passenger side would not lower. Stopped immediately and raised it again. Tried to gently lower and raise a couple of times and on about the third attempt all went back to normal. Phewww that was a scare hope it is a one off or at least something that can be resolved with just raising and lowering a bit till it sorts its self out.

If you see it is lower one side ...
First open it fully ...
Than lower it.

Can help preventing trouble

image.jpeg Mine has been in with vw for 3 days now, they have now acknowledged their is a fault.
(2nd time it's been in for this issue)
They are in the process of switching around the hydrolic Rams apparently to see if the fault switches to the other side???
Registered complaint with be customer services a couple of weeks ago but not had any contact yet since it been into the workshop
I would of thought they would have been all over trying to keep their customers on their right side st the moment !

A bit lowerd on one side we all can live with....
If it looks like that afther one night it needs new a pump and or struds...my opinion

They will fix it under warrenty .

Last edited:
That picture was taken about 40 mins after roof had been fully lifted
Raise it again from there. Put it down carefully. Put up again and it might rise taut.
Worked for ours.

Without wishing to quote the obvious, yes you definitely have a problem.
My asymmetry was nowhere as pronounced and there was no noticeable loosening of the fabric.
Sounds like the hydraulics for sure. Hope they find the problem soon.
Out of interest, does it correct itself at the very last moment on closure?

View attachment 10221 Mine has been in with vw for 3 days now, they have now acknowledged their is a fault.
(2nd time it's been in for this issue)
They are in the process of switching around the hydrolic Rams apparently to see if the fault switches to the other side???
Registered complaint with be customer services a couple of weeks ago but not had any contact yet since it been into the workshop
I would of thought they would have been all over trying to keep their customers on their right side st the moment !
Yep

It does not correct itself just before closure , only afther 10 hours beeing raised and no ingnition is turned on during the whole time.

Therefore it is best , if you know the roof is shaggy , first push the "open" button before lowering it fully

Well yesterday we had to call VW Roadside as our roof was stuck in the up position.
It started to sag on the drivers side. So we pressed open again to reset it.
It sagged again, pressed open again till fully tensioned and then tried to close it numerous times.
No luck the passenger side was totally stuck open.
AA arrived and bled oil out of the system so we could lower and get home with the Velcro ties on.
Called Customer service and now trying to book it in somewhere to be fixed.
We are in Cornwall so not many dealers near us.
Our vehicle is less than 12months old.
Hope we can have resolution quickly and hope local dealers have some experience with Cali roof hydraulics.
Would not mind going for a bit of a drive if anyone can recommend a dealer with experience on this problem.
Thank you

Back