Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still loss of coolant after head gasket replacement?

mrbrightside1

mrbrightside1

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, I am totally new to the T5 community,
However, I purchased a converted T5.1 2014 Volkswagen, as we wanted to try our hand at weekend warriors travelling the South coast.
The first job we had done to the van was the water pump and Cam belt as these had not been done before and the van mileage was sitting at 105k. I noticed that the coolant levels needed topping up every 1000 miles or so, which the short story is I had the head gasket replaced about 2 weeks ago, which I thought would have resolved the issue. I am now find that it needs topping up after about 80 miles ! And I cannot see any obvious signs of a leak anywhere. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

That sounds as though the new head gasket has failed. Its hard to think of anything else that causes so much water loss without any visible sign of leaking. Is there white steam from exhaust? Is the oil looking clean or emulsified.

I think you need to take it back the garage where it was done and get them to investigate. Do you know if the head skimmed when they did the job?

I've read of some instances of EGR failure leaking coolant into the intake on T6s. Not sure about 5.1s. could be worth looking in the front pipe if nothing else shows up.

Hi, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, jeez, they really are money pits

A pressure test should show something. If that is still inconclusive they can add a dye to the water to make it easier to find the leak, noting that the dye will only show water leaking into the area under the bonnet, not internals like faulty head gasket (despite being changed). Often small holes in the radiator are hard to find and the dye helps.

Are you 100% sure it was the head gasket in the first place? I am just wondering if theres something like a leak on the rear heating system. You wouldnt. see the leak under the bonnet as the matrix etc in around the rear drivers side wheelarch .

Hi thanks, a gas test was done on the head, and it failed, also the gasket that was removed did have small signs of a leak, so i believe that was the case, it just seems strange it is losing from max to minimum on a short journey, some of the older comments say change the cap on the reservoir as that may work, strange thing is the van is running fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds as though the new head gasket has failed. Its hard to think of anything else that causes so much water loss without any visible sign of leaking. Is there white steam from exhaust? Is the oil looking clean or emulsified.

I think you need to take it back the garage where it was done and get them to investigate. Do you know if the head skimmed when they did the job?

Just checked the oil,,which is all good, and no steam from the exhaust, and they did skim the head??

Just checked the oil,,which is all good, and no steam from the exhaust, and they did skim the head??

Thats all good. So go for the simple things first. Check the seal on the coolant reservoir. Maybe get a new cap to be sure. Should be cheap

Last edited:
Hi thanks, a gas test was done on the head, and it failed, also the gasket that was removed did have small signs of a leak, so i believe that was the case, it just seems strange it is losing from max to minimum on a short journey, some of the older comments say change the cap on the reservoir as that may work, strange thing is the van is running fine?

I was wondering if you had a water leak, the leak caused the engine to overheat due to the drop in water level , as a result of which the head warped & blew the gasket. You've fixed the head & gasket but not the original leak?

Anyone not familiar with Californias / caravelles may not know that there's a system in the rear & wouldn't be checking there for leaks.

Thanks, it’s possible. It is going back in tomorrow,so I will let the mechanics know, what piece of the system are you referring to? Once again thanks

Thanks, it’s possible. It is going back in tomorrow,so I will let the mechanics know, what piece of the system are you referring to? Once again thanks

I was thinking of the heating system in the rear - it's located inside the van behind the rear drivers side wheel arch, there are water pipes running to it from the front. If someone is looking for a waterleak from the engine it's about the last place you would look, but it uses the engine water so a leak here would be important.

Theres a photo below of a T6.1 multivan with the interior trim panel removed just for infoIMG_9088.JPG

Apologies the log book says Transporter T28 Tline 102 TDI SWB 1968cc

There isn't much experience of that engine here vs the others mentioned. If you don't get a clear answer here, a more general Transporter forum may well reveal a likely cause

Back