Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still undecided..

Spoke to dealer again. The price protection on any WTO duty is not being extended from 2nd Dec for Californias.
Fingers crossed for a deal!

Yes - this is exactly what I was told a few hours ago by my local dealer.
It says in the terms at the bottom of the video Retail Customers only. As the Cali is sold through Commercial, is it included?
All good information, thanks, which will now make me wait until January to see what happens, in no rush as new we’d have a long wait, maybe be will reduce to price so it evens out the tariff, no way am I paying more than they cost now, I’ll put coolbox, jet boil and sleeping bags in the back of our skoda estate,... maybe

All good information, thanks, which will now make me wait until January to see what happens, in no rush as new we’d have a long wait, maybe be will reduce to price so it evens out the tariff, no way am I paying more than they cost now, I’ll put coolbox, jet boil and sleeping bags in the back of our skoda estate,... maybe
There’s a price rise in January

There’s a price rise in January
If there is a tariff and also a price rise, I’ll not be buying a new one, probably spend 40k on a LR defender and 20k on a nice little caravan, Swift make a smart one

If there is a tariff and also a price rise, I’ll not be buying a new one, probably spend 40k on a LR defender and 20k on a nice little caravan, Swift make a smart one
Swift Basecamp

It says in the terms at the bottom of the video Retail Customers only. As the Cali is sold through Commercial, is it included?
Afraid it's not. Boris, get that oven ready deal out of the freezer.

It's very unlikely there will be no deal, despite all the Boris bluster.

It's very unlikely there will be no deal, despite all the Boris bluster.
I wish l could be an optimist. I must confess it's getting to me. Still we must soon know whether we are going to jump over the cliff with, or without a parachute.

I wish l could be an optimist. I must confess it's getting to me. Still we must soon know whether we are going to jump over the cliff with, or without a parachute.
Or a parachute with a hole in it...

It should be really. Whilst VW choose to sell Cali’s through their Commercial Vans dealerships, we are still “Retail Customers”, purchasing under Retail terms not commercial terms.

It should be really. Whilst VW choose to sell Cali’s through their Commercial Vans dealerships, we are still “Retail Customers”, purchasing under Retail terms not commercial terms.
Even for car purchases there are exclusions, like the ID.3, e-Golf etc. So hopes of including Californias is a dead duck I'm afraid.

I am like you. I spent years dreaming of a campervan. Last year, agreed with wife to go ahead. Investigated very seriously cali, westfalia, 3 briges, danburry, nugget and vans like Adria and dreamer. Decided for cali 2 months ago and got cold feet financially just afterwards. With covid and brexit, we are worried about economy and jobs next year. I know a cali is not depreciating right now but if the market goes bad, it will. So, I have MOT the 20 year old land-rover again and signed up for another 12 months of that. We will hopefully place an order next year in the summer for a delivery 2022.... might even be a t7! And if vw goes up in price again, then I will go back looking to a van like dreamers. Wife and daughters wanted this anyway because of lack of bathroom in the cali but I was really against it.

Much more practical and cost effective to simply have All Season tyres fitted that will handle British winter conditions.
No second set of wheels to purchase, store or swap over for possibly only a few days requirement in winter.

I am like you. I spent years dreaming of a campervan. Last year, agreed with wife to go ahead. Investigated very seriously cali, westfalia, 3 briges, danburry, nugget and vans like Adria and dreamer. Decided for cali 2 months ago and got cold feet financially just afterwards. With covid and brexit, we are worried about economy and jobs next year. I know a cali is not depreciating right now but if the market goes bad, it will. So, I have MOT the 20 year old land-rover again and signed up for another 12 months of that. We will hopefully place an order next year in the summer for a delivery 2022.... might even be a t7! And if vw goes up in price again, then I will go back looking to a van like dreamers. Wife and daughters wanted this anyway because of lack of bathroom in the cali but I was really against it.
Yes strange times, we are down sizing our house so making funds available, but surely VW can’t keep putting up price every 3 months, I’m not that desperate, I’d be quite happy to get these two for s few years, comes with a loo.. about 40k+20k until campervan prices settle, I think the U.K. will follow suit with other countries and Restrict overnighting in open spaces and car parks so think the idea of camper vans will fall, I think a late old shape defender holds it value fairly well too

Yes strange times, we are down sizing our house so making funds available, but surely VW can’t keep putting up price every 3 months, I’m not that desperate, I’d be quite happy to get these two for s few years, comes with a loo.. about 40k+20k until campervan prices settle, I think the U.K. will follow suit with other countries and Restrict overnighting in open spaces and car parks so think the idea of camper vans will fall, I think a late old shape defender holds it value fairly well too

Attachments

• 9833FD79-E97D-4261-9BE2-23A4D83A0E4F.jpeg
    9833FD79-E97D-4261-9BE2-23A4D83A0E4F.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 99F5FFDE-7C80-4183-983A-681E0B4EFF55.jpeg
    99F5FFDE-7C80-4183-983A-681E0B4EFF55.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 4
Much more practical and cost effective to simply have All Season tyres fitted that will handle British winter conditions.
No second set of wheels to purchase, store or swap over for possibly only a few days requirement in winter.
Iv not tried all seasons yet, all I know is, i have a front wheel drive heavily loaded panel van I fit with winters every December to March, I could post videos of me passing very expensive AWD vehicles stuck up passes in the Lake District NP where I live and work, it can only be the tyres that allow me over the tops while others can’t move any further, I’m sure all season are a good compromise for those in less hilly parts

Iv not tried all seasons yet, all I know is, i have a front wheel drive heavily loaded panel van I fit with winters every December to March, I could post videos of me passing very expensive AWD vehicles stuck up passes in the Lake District NP where I live and work, it can only be the tyres that allow me over the tops while others can’t move any further, I’m sure all season are a good compromise for those in less hilly parts
Many 4x4 drivers do not have a clue how to drive in snow and most 4x4's are now being fitted with summer type tyres which are also very wide - not much use in snow.

I was referring to the majority of Cali Owners who, like me, can go for some years without more than an few hours of driving in snow.
There are obviously some, such as yourself, who can fully justify winter tyres due to their home location or frequent snow bound terrain travel.

It is interesting to see that winter tyres become illegal below 4mm tread height in Countries such as Germany. ie loose their winter snow advantage/capability.

Maybe I’ll spec all seasons if I do ever order a California, I’d want to be able to use it throughout winter up in the far north of the U.K. so I guess I could buy a set of chains, for a get out of jail’ situation If we wake up to a snowstorm

Many 4x4 drivers do not have a clue how to drive in snow and most 4x4's are now being fitted with summer type tyres which are also very wide - not much use in snow.

I was referring to the majority of Cali Owners who, like me, can go for some years without more than an few hours of driving in snow.
There are obviously some, such as yourself, who can fully justify winter tyres due to their home location or frequent snow bound terrain travel.

It is interesting to see that winter tyres become illegal below 4mm tread height in Countries such as Germany. ie loose their winter snow advantage/capability.
Winter tyres help you go and most importanty, stop. 4x4 will just get you going. Stopping in a 4x4 is just the same as any other car with summer tyres on.

Maybe I’ll spec all seasons if I do ever order a California, I’d want to be able to use it throughout winter up in the far north of the U.K. so I guess I could buy a set of chains, for a get out of jail’ situation If we wake up to a snowstorm
I changed my order to spec the 235 All Season tires. They have the snow icon so certified for use in those parts of Europe that specify a certain winter tyre

I changed my order to spec the 235 All Season tires. They have the snow icon so certified for use in those parts of Europe that specify a certain winter tyre
Are they also a bit deeper, so better ride and fill the arches better?

235/55/17.The factory would only spec tyre options that maintain the correct circumference to avoid affecting the mph and odometer reading. I think at lot of the ride comfort will be down to the give in the sidewalls.
I intend to transfer the 19" forged HRE mono block wheels currently on my Audi S4 onto the Coast using 5x120 to 5x112 10mm adapter rings. Using the online tyre/wheel calculators the best tyre option is 245/45/19

:D

Smiley at the beginning, just in case you all want to snarl at me...

The old macho rattling handle at it again...

4*4, only the right tyres, no one really understands how to drive in ice and snow etc...

Darlings, it's a camper.

It's not a white frost expedition vehicle, nor an Erik Carlsson (age showing) ice-bound rally vehicle, nor something that responds to hand brake turns.

It's a camper.

It does rather well (4 motion) on loose snow, (Winters, or currently fitted Michelin all season). less well on soft mud, really well on loose sand with an incoming tide (one hell of an "OH SH*IT" moment on the Lleyn peninsula) and surprisingly well on loose shale (an even bigger exlax moment on Dartmoor).

However it's a camper.

It's a 3 ton vehicle that is amazingly sure footed on rather difficult services with a limited 4wd capability that used judiciously will get you to some amazing places.

It failed to get me out of glenbrittle in a blizzard (delightfully so, getting snow trapped in glenbrittle in a remarkable cocoon such as a Cali is an experience to die for), and I got bogged down horribly in Devon. However to describe it in the same terms as driving my landrover-based mountain rescue vehicle, or my nail-wrecking drive through Baluchistan or my trek into the furthest reaches of Patagonia (LR).... sorry to disappoint, it is a camper.

An extremely competent one though.

235/55/17.The factory would only spec tyre options that maintain the correct circumference to avoid affecting the mph and odometer reading. I think at lot of the ride comfort will be down to the give in the sidewalls.
I intend to transfer the 19" forged HRE mono block wheels currently on my Audi S4 onto the Coast using 5x120 to 5x112 10mm adapter rings. Using the online tyre/wheel calculators the best tyre option is 245/45/19
Car rims aren't load rated for vans so wouldn't be legal and invalidate Insurance. Hub converters are like wheel spacers and may increase the load on wheel bearings and change caster angles on the front.

Winter tyres help you go and most importanty, stop. 4x4 will just get you going. Stopping in a 4x4 is just the same as any other car with summer tyres on.
Didn't get your point there.

Was referring to All Season versus Winter tyres for most of the time in UK.
No comparison made to Summer tyres.

I've been up hills with Summer tyres where others with Winter tyres have failed. Secret is to be very smooth with virtually no power applied. Many make the mistake of thinking that more power will overcome initial start of wheel spin.

It could be argued that a 4x4 will have better braking than a 2WD due to engine braking on all 4 wheels. This is especially the case when driving in slippery conditions using the accelerator to control speed instead of the brake pedal.

Back