Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stocking the fridge

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
How do you pack the fridge for travelling? Obviously you do not want bottles rattling about! I thought about putting that non-stick shelf liner stuff on the bottom, then remembered that some people are freezing ice cube bags in there. If anything freezes it will stick to the interior. So that seems like a bad idea. What about packing the empty spaces between things with sponges? How do you do it?

For glass bottles we use one of those cardboard wine carriers works very well.

I have a few lunch boxes that perfectly fit the bottom....put stuff in as it gets opened,as I find on a long trip the bottom gets a bit wet
They just fit under the basket,
And I use a Waitrose wine bag, for bottles ( not wine...I only drink red!)
it is slightly padded, so stopes rattles, and can be lifted out to expose the boxes in the bottom. That reduces the endless getting lots of things out to get to bottom of the fridge.
And padding stops stuff on the back wall freezing

I use the roll of non slip shelf liner from B&M in the bottom of ours it's been fine, just don't let food touch back wall of fridge which seems to freeze things. I also use the black non slip roll on the glass work surface to stop day to day wear and tear, also between the plates etc. As well as lining the shelves!!. I stored up our takeaway boxes to use in the van as they stack well.

I made a sort of shield by cutting the bottom out of a Tesco delivery crate, it sticks to the back wall of the fridge with suckers and stops things freezing. I also used another section cut from a crate to put in the bottom. I found that you get a build up of condensation in the bottom of the fridge which ultimately becomes quite wet and this saves drying it out every few days and also keeps your food dry.

I've removed the basket and opted for plastic boxes to better utilise the space. Non slip liner to wrap bottles to avoid rattling.

I just put a cloth down in the bottom of the fridge to collect the water which gathers after a week or so. I move the basket sideways so that it's close enough to one side to keep bottles from rattling around. But we don't have wine*, just milk / juice, with bottles of beer in the basket. Food, veg etc is just stuffed down the other side and under the basket. Yes, stuff freezes against the back of the fridge, but that's not much of a problem, just avoid letting stuff like salad rest against it.

* so I realise this probably isn't relevant to anyone else on the forum ;)

How do you pack the fridge for travelling? Obviously you do not want bottles rattling about! I thought about putting that non-stick shelf liner stuff on the bottom, then remembered that some people are freezing ice cube bags in there. If anything freezes it will stick to the interior. So that seems like a bad idea. What about packing the empty spaces between things with sponges? How do you do it?
Just that. Got a pack of 4 car sponges from local supermarket. Works a treat.
Make sure the fridge is properly closed and latched.

The trick is like any fridge, it is most efficient when it is fully stocked. at the moment just outside Concarneau in Brittany giving our new Ocean its first real outing. in our fridge is: local beer, local wine, smelly cheese and we are using non-essentials such as butter and milk as padding. only real problem is the beer and wine seem to keep disappearing and are continually replacing it.

I moved mine to the centre of the fridge and put a little pressure pushing the
lid back.

I use the sponge washing-up cloths (Spontex type) in the bottom of the fridge to soak up the bit of moisture, put those or plastic containers with bacon etc between bottles if there are spaces, plastic milk containers between glass bottles, no wine in fridge as I drink red, and I find that there is definitely a right way and a wrong way round for the fridge basket - the 'right' way, it goes in and comes out much easier.

How did you get the basket out? I tried to last evening and it appears impossible.
I had the same problem due to me having put it in back to front! The basket is designed such that it sits further back against the rear of the fridge with a gap between the basket and the front side of fridge. If it's the wrong way round it needs a bit of manipulating to get out.

How did you get the basket out? I tried to last evening and it appears impossible.
Sorry, didn't answer.. been away. As always plenty of members ready with an answer...wiggle and jiggle and pull lol

Basket removed. Lift slightly twist and out she came. Now back in correctly so lifts out easily. Thanks for information, this forum is amazing.

Back