Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange - fresh water level sensor broken

bvirc

bvirc

For a while I was wathcing my fresh water level indicator not working properly. My VW service shop was blaming limescale, but it was an epic journey to open the lid of the tank - I didn't allow to use a brute force and demanded to order a special opening tool provided by VW.
After finally opening the tank today there was a surprise - the sensor is multiple cracked. I obviously need to order a new one. However, I am wondering what was the cause of it - water in the tank never froze and there is no other physical stress present. Any idea?

IMG_20170504_192149.jpg IMG_20170504_191822.jpg IMG_20170504_191803.jpg IMG_20170504_191756.jpg

The indicator / sensor worked perfectly for 3 years, I noticed a malfunction during last winter, so I am almost sure that low temperatures somehow caused that.

I had the same problem & also believe it never froze.
If getting a new part, make sure you get the newer stainless teel one & not the outdated plastic one!

Hi, has anyone got the part number for a new float sensor handy? I've searched a few threads and can't seen to find it,

Thanks in advance..

Don‘t mind @westfalia his dodgy tools ;)
Read this thread and find the perfect tool
post #34 , don’t know if the forumshop still has them in stock , check out here
Ha ha, I would rather improvise than buy a tool for
a once in a lifetime use :thumb

Once you have the lid open then its best not to tighten the
life out of it when putting it back, you can then always release it
with your thumbs :thumb if you don't have any thumbs, index fingers will do
the job just as well.

Oooh, decisions decisions. I think I will try improvising. Then buy the tool from the shop . Thanks all

Thanks all. I made a tool, as suggested. Bolts 10cm apart. Got the failed sensor out easily and was surprised to find it is of the stainless steel type. It seemed to have failed due to corrosion at the lower end.

BCFA37DF-C216-403C-802D-F23CB3B70AE0.jpeg

Does the split in the plastic have an affect on the operation of the gauge? I’d assumed the electrical “element“ was probably encased and watertight with a plastic sleeve for the smooth movement of the float. Whilst changing my water pump I noticed my tube was split. My water level readings have always been rubbish!

Yes I’m sure the split in the plastic ones is what causes them to fail when water reaches the internal components. Hence the newer version is stainless steel. However the one that failed in my van was in fact a stainless one, which had corroded at the bottom join.

Does the split in the plastic have an affect on the operation of the gauge? I’d assumed the electrical “element“ was probably encased and watertight with a plastic sleeve for the smooth movement of the float. Whilst changing my water pump I noticed my tube was split. My water level readings have always been rubbish!
Yes. I have pictures of mine that I cracked apart (yet have time to post, nor try and create a better fix). The very simple electronics are cased in some kind of rubber or silicone but the rust on the little magnets by each reed switch tells me that it is imperfect.

I expect in my case the problem may be the tiny magnets used to bias the reed switches perhaps becoming more or less magnetised so losing the latch as the magnet moves past. Similar issue to the hall sensors used for the roof maybe

Yes. I have pictures of mine that I cracked apart (yet have time to post, nor try and create a better fix). The very simple electronics are cased in some kind of rubber or silicone but the rust on the little magnets by each reed switch tells me that it is imperfect.

I expect in my case the problem may be the tiny magnets used to bias the reed switches perhaps becoming more or less magnetised so losing the latch as the magnet moves past. Similar issue to the hall sensors used for the roof maybe
As I’m currently on bit of roll with minor repairs I might change mine for a stainless and do an autopsy on the cracked one.

How it works is pretty simple from an electrical point of view, it's only 2 wires, all passive and a simple resistance change as the magnet passes each float.
In mine the reed switch wasn't latching as the float passed it, so the resistance ended up being illogical. I am tempted to replace it with 2 X float sensors from eBay for 5 quid and a couple of resistors :)
Or you could go cheap option , drill a hole in the lid and insert a wooden spoon handle. Remove spoon and see how wet the handle is.

Děkuji všem. Vytvořil jsem nástroj, jak bylo navrženo. Šrouby od sebe vzdálené 10 cm. Snadno vytáhl vadný senzor a byl překvapen, že je z nerezové oceli. Zdálo se, že selhal kvůli korozi na dolním konci.
Děkuji všem. Vytvořil jsem nástroj, jak bylo navrženo. Šrouby od sebe vzdálené 10 cm. Snadno vytáhl vadný senzor a byl překvapen, že je z nerezové oceli. Zdálo se, že selhal kvůli korozi na dolním konci.

View attachment 81623
My senzor wrong on my T6.1 2020 too

IMG_20210901_152039.jpg

Back