Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strava...

Just joined :thumb
Last weeks activities dominated by the Tour of Wessex cycle event. I did see a silver Cali parked up on the last hill into Langport, looked to be supporting a rider, anyone on here?

The leaderboard is what we are given by Strava I'm afraid, the 'run' heading should suffice for walk/hike hopefully.....I'll get in touch with Strava to see if there is anything I can do..... Personally I don't think the 'leaderboard' title is all that helpful for this type of 'club' but at least members can see what others have been up to and share activities/routes etc....
Hi Neil, unfortunately I don't think that using run for walks/hikes will work. I log all our long walks as hikes, so they wouldn't appear. I know someone will ask me why I log walks as hikes and there was a reason which I've now completely forgotten. I'll have to reinvestigate. I think it had to do with the ability to see them in my dashboard. Seems Strava has different levels of activity. Top tier the triathlon activities, then the rest.

Hi Neil, unfortunately I don't think that using run for walks/hikes will work. I log all our long walks as hikes, so they wouldn't appear. I know someone will ask me why I log walks as hikes and there was a reason which I've now completely forgotten. I'll have to reinvestigate. I think it had to do with the ability to see them in my dashboard. Seems Strava has different levels of activity. Top tier the triathlon activities, then the rest.
Hi....I have loaded 'hikes' as 'runs' (https://www.strava.com/activities/420107822) but will have a look and see if Strava can help although they a bit slow in responding to queries!

Just joined :thumb
Last weeks activities dominated by the Tour of Wessex cycle event. I did see a silver Cali parked up on the last hill into Langport, looked to be supporting a rider, anyone on here?
Couple of tough days but no doubt 'enjoyable'.... Great part of the world!

To share/download a GPX you need to be a premium member.
I'm a member of a couple already and all that seems to happen is you continue to do your thing and any club members see what you've been up to , like Followers do now. I get notification from say Rapha club when someone I'm following who is a member takes up one of there challenges.

Rapha club, very posh

Couple of tough days but no doubt 'enjoyable'.... Great part of the world!
Yes very enjoyable. Seems a high proportion of club cyclists compared to other sportives. What was also noticeable was how many strong female riders there were mixing it with the pace groups and on the hills.
Lots of bike bling in evidence :thumb, not all of it well maintained :(

Yes very enjoyable. Seems a high proportion of club cyclists compared to other sportives. What was also noticeable was how many strong female riders there were mixing it with the pace groups and on the hills.
Lots of bike bling in evidence :thumb, not all of it well maintained :(
Just getting back into my cycling (and loving it!), it seems as though the Spotives have really taken off! Some perhaps more competitive than other, got my first one on the 19th so will see if the training has paid off! Part of the fun is keeping the bike in good working order as far as I am concerned, there are certainly some wonderful machines out there !

This ones great if you like a hill or two. Sets off about 100 yards from the CCC site in centre of Bristol so handy if you visit in your Cali. Done it twice now, last time with a couple of younger guys who were fortunately on heavier bikes.

http://findarace.com/events/tasty-cheddar-2015

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just joined too, I'm Big Daddy on Strava in case your wondering if it's some random weirdo.

Food and fluid and you will be fine. Took me 3years to work out that if I was riding a sportive hard then I would need to eat every 10km / 20min. So 160km would be around 16 bars. (I typically felt "queasy" around 130km in and craved savoury......)

16 bars for a 160km ride :eek: How do you even carry that many?
On a ride of that length where I don't mind finishing the ride calorie neutral I might have 2 bars, perhaps a packet of shot bloks (~ 2 gels worth of energy) and a 750ml bottle of energy drink every 50km. (more if a hot day)
If doing a sportive and stopping at the feed stations for more than filling bottles then I usually go for the savory options if available rather than the sickly energy products. Often finish still carrying the bars I started with.
Even for Ironman triathlons where I want to come off the bike calorie +ve ready for the run stage I would only be able to add perhaps a couple more bars.
Be guided by what you do on other long rides, old adage of not trying anything new on race day applies here as well.
The Wiggle New Forest ride covers roads I use on a regular basis, should be a good day out. Some sections across the plains can be exposed if you get a headwind but with the number of people there should be some groups to share the work at the front. Can be a bit of NIMBYism in the local press but that seems to have died down the last few years. (sure I'm preaching to the converted but if you do get through 16 bars please dont drop the wrappers).

I am on lchf and periodic fasting (mainly to minimize risk of diabetes and weight control) so for a 95km mtb race only water with salt. Latest vätternrundan (300km at 8.2 h) 4 L of energy drink only. Usually no idea to overeat or overdrink.

The disadvantages of being 1.93m and 120kg (racing weight circa 105kg)! I would typically head off with just food in my pockets. Training wise I can ride about 45km without.

I found on sportives that I would struggle the last bit and only concluded that early and constant eating put paid to that. On a rolling sportive I would aim for a 30kph average so that meant eating every 10km/20mins.

If you want to ride some of the route beforehand let me know. Will dust off the Burls.