Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Support UK Tourism First ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why people living in areas with limited healthcare might worry, but surely day and weekend visitors at least aren't going to be any real issue?

No-one catches C19, becomes symptomatic and then needs urgent hospital treatment in the same day, or in the space of a weekend. If a visitor starts feeling a bit ropey then surely in 99 percent of cases they'll go back home, phone 111 and if necessary escalate from there.

Week-long visits, holiday home users etc might be a different thing but even then it seems unlikely that owuld seriously threaten local healthcare resources, at this stage in the epidemic.
Hi Velmas Dad, it’s the very weekend visitors that scare people. Car loads of young people from more populated areas. South Lakeland is currently near the top of the +ve cases across the country. Weekenders add up to hundreds of thousands. Not sure when you were last here but the queues leaving the lakes stretch back to Staveley from the M6 on most Summer Sunday afternoons (and that’s over ten miles).
But hey, come back soon. We need you to visit!

Hi Velmas Dad, it’s the very weekend visitors that scare people. Car loads of young people from more populated areas. South Lakeland is currently near the top of the +ve cases across the country. Weekenders add up to hundreds of thousands. Not sure when you were last here but the queues leaving the lakes stretch back to Staveley from the M6 on most Summer Sunday afternoons (and that’s over ten miles).

Okay I get that but I assume that's a fear of cross infection from visitors, rather than of overloading local heathcare? (I was responding to your "swamping our hospitals" point).

I do realise a lot of people are just generally nervous.

I also realise that while a lot of people who live in national parks etc directly benefit from tourism, a lot don't, and for them there's no up-side to hoardes of visitors coming back.

I understand why people living in areas with limited healthcare might worry, but surely day and weekend visitors at least aren't going to be any real issue?

No-one catches C19, becomes symptomatic and then needs urgent hospital treatment in the same day, or in the space of a weekend. If a visitor starts feeling a bit ropey then surely in 99 percent of cases they'll go back home, phone 111 and if necessary escalate from there.

Week-long visits, holiday home users etc might be a different thing but even then it seems unlikely that owuld seriously threaten local healthcare resources, at this stage in the epidemic.

Agree. Knee jerk reaction which may take time to rebuild.

Agree. Knee jerk reaction which may take time to rebuild.

Looking at the daily graphs, it appears that people in London have been best at understanding and following social distancing advice, and those in the northeast and northwest worst at understanding and following the advice.

Or maybe there are confounding factors such as fewer people in London employed in useful professions, and able to stay at home which has brought down the infection rates in London so dramatically.

Anyway, I see little harm in reopening self catering accommodation including park homes. Hotels and campsites with shared facilities would be more difficult to reopen.

Looking at the daily graphs, it appears that people in London have been best at understanding and following social distancing advice, and those in the northeast and northwest worst at understanding and following the advice.

Or maybe there are confounding factors such as fewer people in London employed in useful professions, and able to stay at home which has brought down the infection rates in London so dramatically.

Anyway, I see little harm in reopening self catering accommodation including park homes. Hotels and campsites with shared facilities would be more difficult to reopen.
They could open sites but not facilities. Those of us who live in our vans have set them up to be self sufficient.

You've just given one of the main reasons why I wouldn't be going anywhere near the Lake District between March and September.

But are we going to be allowed/welcome in continental Europe this summer? It is increasingly looking less likely to me. I booked a UK holiday today and the gentleman I spoke to could not have been more accommodating

I'm sick of some of these holiday let owners on TV moaning. Our friends have a one bedroom holiday let in Dorset, they only charge about £500 per week high season yet they still got the £10,000 grant, holiday let owners register for business rates and are exempt so they pay neither council tax or rates. Yes I know it's not great but people have been dying and there are plenty of others worse off.

But are we going to be allowed/welcome in continental Europe this summer? It is increasingly looking less likely to me. I booked a UK holiday today and the gentleman I spoke to could not have been more accommodating
Who is going to self isolate for fourteen days after a fourteen day European holiday? Any self respecting UK holiday accommodation owner should be jumping through hoops to welcome visitors whenever they are going to be allowed out.

Who is going to self isolate for fourteen days after a fourteen day European holiday? Any self respecting UK holiday accommodation owner should be jumping through hoops to welcome visitors whenever they are going to be allowed out.
Not forgetting the likely 14 day isolation on the continent before you start your holiday.

Are they saying that uk residents that reside in the uk need to isolate for 14 days after a holiday flight to Europe or is it non uk residents that they want to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in the uk ????

Are they saying that uk residents that reside in the uk need to isolate for 14 days after a holiday flight to Europe or is it non uk residents that they want to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in the uk ????
It’s everybody. They haven’t formally announced it yet though. Exemptions include lorry drivers.

When will these areas be happy to welcome visitors though. A vaccine is along way off, if ever. So these areas will need to accept a return to mass tourism at some point before then. Shouldn’t they be upping their ICU capacity to accommodate them?

I'm sick of some of these holiday let owners on TV moaning. Our friends have a one bedroom holiday let in Dorset, they only charge about £500 per week high season yet they still got the £10,000 grant, holiday let owners register for business rates and are exempt so they pay neither council tax or rates. Yes I know it's not great but people have been dying and there are plenty of others worse off.

I got the 10k grant. I paid £4600 plus VAT to Regus for an empty office and restoration fee. I then paid £400 + £900 deposit in fees for the new office. Not to worry as I'll pay the government £32k in Corporation tax in Jan for this year just gone, helped by the fact, like other small business owners, we pay ourselves via PAYE and Dividends. (Dividends are taken from the profit).

Does this grant have to be repaid in full, with interest or not at all?

Does this grant have to be repaid in full, with interest or not at all?
No its money the Government / Taxpayer has paid back out to businesses depending on SBRR / rateable value. Hospitality received 25k

Last edited:
No its money the Government / Taxpayer has paid back out to businesses depending on SBRR / rateable value. Hospitality received 25k
The amount depends on the businesses rateable value, up to £12000 you receive £10000, from £12001 - £51000 you receive £25000 and over £51000 you get nothing. Plus a business rates holiday for 12 months.

I would happily support UK tourism if they would make the effort to support us. I've been retired for 15 years and have not spent any time at all in the UK due to the unsympathetic nature of most local councils to providing facilities for camper vans and motor homes. The UK is light years behind Europe in this respect. By their nature, most owners are not long term stayers, a majority are looking for overnight stops or short stay facilities with toilet emptying and water supply. In a lot of towns it's not even possible to find parking!
I know that the clubs provide a range of options, the best for me being CLs, and things like pub stops are becoming popular, but anyone who has travelled in Europe will, I think, confirm that we are much better catered for there. It makes sense to me; when I stop, I will buy all the immediate supplies that I need locally and probably at least one restaurant meal and I feel welcome, not some outcast who must be dissuaded from parking or, dread the thought, parking overnight.
100% agreed!

It’s everybody. They haven’t formally announced it yet though. Exemptions include lorry drivers.
Sounds like the quarantine may only apply to air passengers, maybe not road traffic travellers? Not sure.

Under the measures, which are expected to come into force in June, all passengers arriving at airports - including returning UK citizens - will have to provide an address where they will self-isolate for 14 days.

Sounds like the quarantine may only apply to air passengers, maybe not road traffic travellers? Not sure.

Under the measures, which are expected to come into force in June, all passengers arriving at airports - including returning UK citizens - will have to provide an address where they will self-isolate for 14 days.
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle passengers won't be exchanging viral detritus in a confined passenger cabin.

I can't understand why air travel would be singled out over ferry or Eurostar, but can understand a difference with Le Shuttle.

Eurotunnel Le Shuttle passengers won't be exchanging viral detritus in a confined passenger cabin.

I can't understand why air travel would be singled out over ferry or Eurostar, but can understand a difference with Le Shuttle.
I would have thought it was fairly obvious.

Ferries and the Shuttle come from, Where?

Airline passengers come from, Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back