Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Support UK Tourism First ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why treat shuttle passengers from France differently to air passengers from France?

Why treat shuttle passengers from France differently to air passengers from France?
I thought that was fairly obvious. Obviously I was wrong.

I thought that was fairly obvious. Obviously I was wrong.
Not obvious at all. Air passengers from France = quarantine, Shuttle = presumably not (makes sense as people can remain in vehicles) Ferries however?

Not obvious at all. Air passengers from France = quarantine, Shuttle = presumably not (makes sense as people can remain in vehicles) Ferries however?
I didn’t think I would have to explain, but the majority of passengers travelling by air will have travelled internationally. French nationals and others coming from France would be using the same airports and planes.

Euroshuttle and Ferries will be transporting EU citizens or those allowed into the Schengen Zone.

I didn’t think I would have to explain, but the majority of passengers travelling by air will have travelled internationally. French nationals and others coming from France would be using the same airports and planes.

Euroshuttle and Ferries will be transporting EU citizens or those allowed into the Schengen Zone.
They have Covid-19 in the EU don't they?

They have Covid-19 in the EU don't they?
They have, but we mustn’t upset our EU neighbours.

Personally I think everyone who crosses the U.K. borders should have 2 weeks quarantine, as they have in Australia and New Zealand, and some States in Australia charge for the privelige.

Shuttle passengers should have been observing social distancing rules in the country of origin before getting into their cars and driving to board the shuttle.

Social distancing rules are not applied on aircraft (or Eurostar?)

It should be perfectly feasible for a household to move from their home in the UK to their home within the EU while maintaining social distance by Le Shuttle. The same is unlikely to be possible by commercial airline.

Maybe not so obvious after all...

France to be exempt from UK quarantine rules, Johnson and Macron agree
Downing Street has just released a joint statement from the British and French governments, after a call between Boris Johnson and the French president, Emmanuel Macron.

It says the French will be exempt from the UK’s proposed quarantine restrictions. (See 7.14pm.)

The joint statement says Johnson and Macron spoke today. It goes on:

They stressed the need for close bilateral, European and international cooperation in the fight against Covid-19.
The leaders spoke about the need to manage the risk of new transmissions arising from abroad, as the rate of coronavirus decreases domestically.
In this regard, the prime minister and the president agreed to work together in taking forward appropriate border measures. This cooperation is particularly necessary for the management of our common border.
No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner. A working group between the two governments will be set up to ensure this consultation throughout the coming weeks.

So not obvious after all then.

The government later clarified that the rules would apply not just to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel.

I've been trying to avoid bitching about government incompetence etc etc and I do recognise that the govt and civil service are doing their best in a very challenging environment, and some errors are bound to be made.

BUT I heard Boris last night tell us, in a pre-written and presumably carefully checked script, that quarantine would be introduced for people arriving by air. It now turns out it's by any means of transport, apparently. But not if it's from France. Maybe.

What the actual f*ck? I mean how hard can it actually be be to make statements on Sunday evening that, even if only in outline, at least are factually coherent with what's then put out on Monday morning?

I've been trying to avoid bitching about government incompetence etc etc and I do recognise that the govt and civil service are doing their best in a very challenging environment, and some errors are bound to be made.

BUT I heard Boris last night tell us, in a pre-written and presumably carefully checked script, that quarantine would be introduced for people arriving by air. It now turns out it's by any means of transport, apparently. But not if it's from France. Maybe.

What the actual f*ck? I mean how hard can it actually be be to make statements on Sunday evening that, even if only in outline, at least are factually coherent with what's then put out on Monday morning?

This might be what tipped you over the edge but to be fair he only said this on the subject.

“And to prevent re-infection from abroad, I am serving notice that it will soon be the time – with transmission significantly lower – to impose quarantine on people coming into this country by air.”

His statement clearly wasn’t intended to give specifics.

And before I get my head bitten off I’m not defending the man.

I got this extract from the transcript posted by @GrannyJen

Mike

Last edited:
He was very careful to point out these are outlines, a sketch map, someone that will evolve as th science and the knowledge develops:

The words:

"Throughout this period of the next two months we will be driven not by mere hope or economic necessity. We are going to be driven by the science, the data and public health.

And I must stress again that all of this is conditional, it all depends on a series of big Ifs. It depends on all of us – the entire country – to follow the advice, to observe social distancing, and to keep that R down.

And to prevent re-infection from abroad, I am serving notice that it will soon be the time – with transmission significantly lower – to impose quarantine on people coming into this country by air".

I have been very careful over these last couple of months to put myself behind the leader and the country, not behind dogma or political leaning but I had been losing patience. The "lockdown by consent" was becoming "breakdown by consent" and we were back to the miserable era of policy announcements being released by carefully controlled "leaks".

Last night I found incredibly woolly, but then we are in uncharted waters and struggling to get the science in front of the transmission and not desperately catching up with it so I accept nothing as yet can be specific. When we also talk about relationships with our European partners that we have direct road and rail links with, well, so far they have hardly, with due cause, been a picture of sparkling clarity over future controls so it would be difficult for anyone to say just what future controls may be in place.

Last edited:
The airport testing/ quarantine should have been happening for the last 2 months, no? Apparently 100,000 people have come through the airports since lockdown but only now are we going to put in place quarantine measures.

The airport testing/ quarantine should have been happening for the last 2 months, no? Apparently 100,000 people have come through the airports since lockdown but only now are we going to put in place quarantine measures.

Probably it was not in place because every ounce of testing resource was going into hospital testing with absolutely no slack in the system. We can't test if we don't have the kits.

Possibly more to the point if we couldn't test then should we be allowing anyone in, most of them being repatriated UK citizens.

Probably it was not in place because every ounce of testing resource was going into hospital testing with absolutely no slack in the system. We can't test if we don't have the kits
Very early on Finland simply banned anybody except returning Finns entering the country, and even they had to quarantine for two weeks.

So not obvious after all then.

The government later clarified that the rules would apply not just to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel.

Obvious to the Boomer Generation, obviously not to you. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if similar arrangements are made with other European countries that have ferry connections to the UK. I mean, why is France so special?

If they don't make such arrangements then you better travel back to the UK via France. Mind you they do make some nice Jams in France and bread as well.

The reasons for this are complex and have been repeatedly given.

Mike

The quarantine period for international arrivals by air or actual any means does appear to be a bit like shutting the stable door a bit late, but at least its being done.

As for difference between anyone arriving by air or train and the differences. Aircraft air is exchanged quite quickly, some and I say some aircraft use recirculated air, Some can turn off the recirculating system. Don’t think trains euro star or not have such an efficient exchange of air in the cabin.
if the aim is to reduce chance of transmission while in transit, ferry is probably the safest, so get the lorry driver exemption.

The problem with imposing a blanket 14 day ban is who else is exempt from this, my company for example has international clients who come for 5 days, then return home. For them to arrive have 14 days sat in a hotel room to then do 5 days training is not viable financially. In our case due to the nature of the business I suspect they will have exemptions in place, it can’t be a blanket 14days for all. In trying to restrict large numbers of people travelling for no real reason it will work though.

Obvious to the Boomer Generation, obviously not to you. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if similar arrangements are made with other European countries that have ferry connections to the UK. I mean, why is France so special?

If they don't make such arrangements then you better travel back to the UK via France. Mind you they do make some nice Jams in France and bread as well.

Presumably you can fly from France to the UK too without being quarantined, in the process sharing airports and aeroplanes used by passengers of other countries. It doesn’t seem to be related to mode of transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back