Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Beach in UK

As a man previously involved with motor manufacture, IMHO decisions are made on money, sometimes “brand” too but mainly margin. In addition to falling sales pre Covid, you will be seeing a further streamlining of makers’ models and options, with the hope buyers go for cars that are likely in stock or have the better margin. No chance of ordering a funny colour. Not available madam. A base BMW 3 series with zero options used to lose money for BMW but buy a fully loaded 335 and they'll throw you a party. Same production line - just with a few hundred euros worth of extra goodies. A Discovery 4 commercial was more expensive for JLR to make than a Range Rover Sport. A base Defender 90 lost them money! I think the poor decision to drop the Beach has been made by someone in Milton Keynes who uses the word “brand” a lot and wrongly thinks he’ll force an upsell to the bigger profit Ocean or Coast. Anything that involves humans rather than robots (Defenders, Campers) generally not a good earner so Cali’s wont be a big priority at VAG. I leased a new £32500 Golf R for £217 a month plus vat for two years because VW have a huge margin in it.

Yes, the Beach had become too expensive. It was almost as if VW were punishing Beach customers for wanting to buy one. If you wanted a good spec then they really rubbed their hands with glee. Further more VW seemed to put much more effort and emphasis on marketing the Ocean whilst treating the Beach as more of an afterthought. That approach even seemed to permeate down to our dealer sales team when I purchased our first Beach. I recall that when we collected our new SE 180 4motion we received red carpet treatment whilst collecting our new Beach a few months later was much more a case of - Here are the keys. Its out there in the yard.

You say "A Beach at £55k or £65k makes no sense.
I may as well buy a well specced Caravelle and bung a aftermarket roof on and still have change in my pocket..."

You may be right but again it's not so clear cut. In this case, the price tag quoted was the list price for a factory order. Few people actually end up paying the list price. Never the less a well specced Beach is still über expensive even with a healthy discount.

The dilema facing many prospective Beach buyers is caused by lack of choice. There were plenty of basic Beaches but very few with a decent spec. So for them and I include myself, it was a case of pay up or loose out. In our case, we unsuccessfully looked for a Beach with something near our preferred spec, so it came down to replacing our previously well specced Beach with either a pretty basic one or ordering from the factory. The dealers had a number Beaches when we were looking but as usual they were nearly all virtually bog standard spec.

Undoubtedly the Ocean makes much more financial sense but that misses the point. For many people, the Ocean just isn't a viable alternative.

Converting a Caravelle can be done and maybe within that budget but you would end up with a conversion. A non forum friend of mine has just such a Caravelle conversion and quite frankly it isn't very nice. The roof conversion is difficult, complicated and the result is messy and untidy. The ceiling in a Caravelle has ventilation ducts, grills and numerous lighting fittings.
View attachment 60222
All that would have to be moved and re-routed using non standard parts. Other aspects of the Caravelle would also need dealing with e.g lack of front swivel seats, parking heater, window blinds, Multiflex , VW Comfort mattress, picnic table, picnic chairs and their stowage, electric hook up, leisure battery etc etc. Then there's the depreciation angle too consider. So I doubt if it would be a realistic alternative.

Since there aren't really any real alternatives on the market our decision was that if we had too factory order for the first time in our lives, we might as well get exactly what we wanted. As it turns out it was a good move despite the price tag. Less than a month later VW stopped T6 Beach production and a little later they annouced that they weren't going to sell the Beach in the UK anymore. Since high spec beaches sell in a flash I have no doubt that we did the right thing. We will lose money of course as everyone does, but over the time we own it I believe it will prove to be a much sounder financial purchase than that of a conversion.
What you say is backed up by the Van conversion Forums in that the Caravelle isn't judged to be a suitable base for pop top conversion. Kombi being the favourite.

I imported my 2018 LHD T6 Beach from Germany back when VW were still selling Beaches in the UK. I did it because I wanted a 204 DSG 4Motion and this wasn’t available here. It was an easy thing to do.

Before going down this route I emailed VW customer services and the UK CEO asking if they’d sell me a 4Mo Beach.

I thought they were missing a trick - they would sell high spec Beaches in my opinion as has been mentioned here - it’s a different customer to the Ocean so Beach buyers won’t necessarily be put off by the cost vs an Ocean. Obviously they didn’t agree so I had to go LHD.

Plenty of people have 3 kids and want a 4x4 they can camp in occasionally and drive daily. The high spec 4Mo Beach would cut into upmarket 4x4 sales - Not Cali Ocean sales, imho.

I think I could’ve had a RHD Ocean for the price I paid for my LHD Beach but it’s very high spec - I don’t feel bad about it as the Ocean didn’t suit my needs.

I’ve since been informed by Mrs S2bear that we aren’t having ANY more children and so it will be a 6.1 Ocean next!

Here’s the thing, because I have a Beach ‘Edition’ - I’ll want an Ocean ‘Edition’ and they don’t sell those here either yet.

Don’t be put off by LHD you get used to it very quickly.

Perhaps VW will watch MB Marco Polo ‘Horizon’ Sales and if they grow, maybe the Beach will be back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

California's defy most laws of commerce, and VW still manage to sell them all at a premium in spite of their own best efforts to alienate their customers.

Excellent post above, I can see that they'll make little margin despite the insanely high new price, also kept artificially high by supply:demand ratio keeping used residuals up too ...

In fairness we did also needlessly sabotage our own exchange rate recently too, can't pin that on them.

No point applying logic, or "it's crazy that they don't [...]". It is what it is - if you vote with your feet then there's 5 more who'll take your place in the line.

Thinking of replacing (or worse increasing) the Beach sales with the Coast model is truly insane, these are vehicles that target different users.

Thinking of replacing (or worse increasing) the Beach sales with the Coast model is truly insane, these are vehicles that target different users.
You are talking about an organisation that when the T6 was introduced sent out a press demonstrator with none swivelling front "comfort" seats, sadly they are proven idiots.

I think the “care factor zero” from VAG UK is illustrated F512C047-72D7-42C6-9745-19BD39B7C357.pngby this photoshop’d European brochure. The Euro one shows Beach/ Coast/ Ocean. Here in the UK we have...erm...an Ocean and two Coasts....

How come that Beach Tour has a sliding door on that side? Can you get twin sliding doors as an option now?

And just Googled the translation of "anspruchsvoll"

Coast is for Globetrotters

Ocean is for the "demanding" How appropriate!

The translation for campingeinsteiger, the Beach descriptor is "camping beginners" Oh dear VW , if only you knew.

the green Coast looks fantastic.

The 6.1 Beach Tour comes with twin sliders and 3 seat bench as standard, with the fold up kitchen as an option which deletes the second slider. The Beach Camper comes with single slider, 2 seat bench and fold up kitchen as standard equipment. Neither are currently available in the UK, but as the number of British customers who import them from, or find a way to register them in Europe increases, VW may reconsider.

Last edited:
Reposted from another thread:

During those early years of Beach manufacture, the pop-top was optional, the internal finish behind the first row was limited, with a lot of bare sheet metal showing around the windows, and only the 2 seat bench was available, which made it really the cheap starter California, light years from today's highly flexible Multivan based vehicle with seating up to 7 and sleeping for four. These days VW has separate assembly lines for the Transporter and the higher finish Multivan which the Beach, Coast and Ocean are based on. It's sad that VW evolved the Beach into a sophisticated version of the California, and then someone at VW who was out of touch and thought it was still an entry level vehicle decided to make it unavailable in the UK.

Edit: on another thread someone has posted the German publicity photo for the four versions of the 6.1 California line. The Beach Camper is advertised as the Beginner's Camper. It looks like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Someone at VW is responsible for developing the Beach into what it is today, a vehicle which fills a need for a different purpose than the Ocean/Coast, and someone else in marketing is trying to promote a concept of the Beach that VW itself left behind years ago. With this level of unawareness of their own California market, no wonder VW keeps producing a van which has some of the same frustrating design errors as 15 years ago.

Last edited:
One of the very, very few VW main dealers in Germany that did get back to me had this Beach 6.1 in stock with a reasonable discount but is a single door jobby. Her e mail doreen.hennig@autohaus-reick.de if anyone wants one....this colour would have been my top choice. I generally only buy green cars. View attachment 60597
Nice colour but the wheels don't look right to me.

I'm based in Switzerland and have just ordered a 6.1 Beach Liberty 199ps 4 motion with two tone white and green. At least four months wait due to slow production after COVID-19 out of Hanover but at least we still get the Beach model and a "Liberty" spec enables competitive pricing.

I'm based in Switzerland and have just ordered a 6.1 Beach Liberty 199ps 4 motion with two tone white and green. At least four months wait due to slow production after COVID-19 out of Hanover but at least we still get the Beach model and a "Liberty" spec enables competitive pricing.
Congratulations. What is the "Liberty" spec? :thumb

If we were able to order the T6.1 199ps 4 Motion Beach here in the UK the price would be somewhere up in the stratosphere.

Looks a good deal. As an example comparison to UK spec - 150hp DSG Beach, front and rear parking sensors, MFSW, cruise control, cornering fogs, tyre pressure monitoring and 3 zone climatronic for £42000.
And £49,500 for the same spec except 199bp DSG 4Motion

Back