Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if any) defects have you found with your new T6

Hello, we too have an issue with the sliding door blind, the towing electrics can't be synced with the bus...VW are struggling to find a fix for it....and not wishing to be too padantic, the CALIFORNIA badge on the tailgate isn't level, slopes from right to left!!
Our Cali has been at Listers of Coventry for the last six days while VW try to come up with a solution. Lister's have been very good, but they've had it for as long as we have now...see what happens next!

The list so far :(Links are to a fuller discussion of thorny or serious problems where given by contributors to the thread) Don't be put off by the length of the list. Most are easily fixed and no-one has found them all! More to the point no-one has said that the odd little niggle that has affected them led to them regretting their purchase or particularly diminishing their sense of fun from their van.

Soft close door works only intermittently.

Swivel seats don’t swivel

Seat belt warning light on all the time

Water ingress via the tailgate,
Water ingress at higher brake light
Higher brake light cover coming detached (fault of the whole unit not just the cover)

The blind on sliding door not pulling down fully the reason the plastic cover on the bottom of the door pillar keeps popping out of alignment

Plastic cover on the metal bed frame falls off when you adjust it

Piston arm on the fridge failed and had to be replaced

The gasket on the top of the drivers door was pulling away in the corner

New fresh water tank level indicator fitted as the display in the cabin showed that the tank was always full

Fold away table fixing mechanism was replaced to cure an unacceptable rattle

12v charging socket in the roof space not working

The plastic runner on the sliding door blind came off. A bit of super glue and it was fixed

The double glazing in the tail gate mist up, however it then magically cleared and has not returned.

230V socket reversed Live and Neutral.

Both auxiliary heaters smell, although not sure if this is a fault or an annoying characteristic

The finish on the drivers step light being not as it should be

The rear high level brake light cover fell off, it wouldn't be a VW if it didn't,(With thanks to Granny Jen for the Philosophical comment!)

Remote key for heating not paired with Cali

Keys did not open all doors

Missing table leg on the sliding table!!!!

Missing options/wrong options fitted.

Fresh water tank replaced. The original one had a pin hole in the base and leaked water into the boot area

RH 'C' post foremost blind trim lower finisher out of alignment and has now detached itself from C post trim

Missing one levelling thumbscrew from door one of the 'door table' legs

'Plugged in' symbol no longer displaying on centre control panel

240v charging problem. Whilst displaying the hook-up sign it would just stop charging when hooked up https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-feeling-of-disappointment.11023/

Paint issue with tailgate (bubble in paint), which needed respraying.
Rear drivers side blinds not staying down (springing back up 1/2 inch).
Blind over sliding door not going down due to trims being misaligned with guide rail.
Gas burner not working (igniting), went in to have parts replaced, and still not right. Needing another visit to the dealer in the future.
Drivers electric window clunking when it is stopped from auto open to go back up.
Rattling noise from windscreen when driven over 50mph.
Drivers lhs arm rest foam becoming detached from the arm rest body.
(Sorry about the formatting below - I will try to sort it out tomorrow)
  1. Repeated and uncured rattle of cables inside steering column housing
  2. Suspension top creak - joint removed and replaced with greased item
  3. 3str bench would not move forward and backwards -
  4. Factory awning material fell apart at the join on a warm day - replaced on warranty but new one rattled so had to go back in for adjustment
  5. DPF sensor faulty
  6. Sliding door blind misalignment
  7. water ingress at tailgate hinges and
  8. widescreen rattle unless wet screen.
  9. recurring problem with the AC (not uncommon on T6 vans) seals needed replacing on the input and output to the condenser
  10. The cover at the bottom of the sliding door blind rail (front) popped off on first use! Looks like it's glued, but not very well
  11. Foot well button for the climatronic air con when depressed sticks in and doesn't come back out
  12. Voice control not activated on media centre
  13. issues when trying to change the settings on the beach parking heater where it seems to time out and go back the standby display in the middle of trying to set it up
  14. lower locking glovebox (Comfort dash) is not fitted well with the top slightly deformed meaning the light rattles and slips out
  15. door blind trim was out of line and came off the day after I bought my T6. Took it to Breeze Poole who said it is a common problem caused by adding an extra grommet by mistake during production. They removed the grommet and glued it. Now lined up and working correctly.
there should not be so many faults on a vehicle that has been german assembled for so long. do they not take pride in their workmanship. we own a 2001 honda accord car. other than new plugs ,oil change, we have had nothing go wrong with it. European vehicles drive better than asian ,but there is always things going wrong with them. i have owned 28 vehicles in my 45 years living in nz. all euro cars have produced problems, including 5 vwz, one cali, but asian assembled no problems.

@DOUG MILNE , sorry but one can not compare a Honda accord with a Cali....
If the accord had all the campingequipment we might could:D
That does not makes it ok there are some minor and some even big issues on a Cali , can any car brand be flawless....no .
Maybe we should just more enjoy the things we can do in our Cali and compare those things to the things you can do in a Honda Accord making our Cali a superiour verhicle!

I certainly do not feel i bought a cat in a bag five years ago and if i had enough cash at this time a 6-er would be on order .

Hello, we too have an issue with the sliding door blind, the towing electrics can't be synced with the bus...VW are struggling to find a fix for it....and not wishing to be too padantic, the CALIFORNIA badge on the tailgate isn't level, slopes from right to left!!
Our Cali has been at Listers of Coventry for the last six days while VW try to come up with a solution. Lister's have been very good, but they've had it for as long as we have now...see what happens next!
All sorted now... we're very happy again!

All sorted now... we're very happy again!
Good. That's the important thing, getting things put right. Cali is a complex vehicle and bound to have the potential for more problems than the standard motor.

Mike

I agree, that's why I didn't go ape... shame the weather has turned now though, typical!!!

@DOUG MILNE , sorry but one can not compare a Honda accord with a Cali....
If the accord had all the campingequipment we might could:D
That does not makes it ok there are some minor and some even big issues on a Cali , can any car brand be flawless....no .
Maybe we should just more enjoy the things we can do in our Cali and compare those things to the things you can do in a Honda Accord making our Cali a superiour verhicle!

I certainly do not feel i bought a cat in a bag five years ago and if i had enough cash at this time a 6-er would be on order .
i DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT I can & can not do in any vehicle. For what we pay for vehicles now days we should expect not to have the faults that come with a lot of vehicles. I only mentioned the Honda as one of my 26 or so vehicles I have had over the years. Asian cars are less trouble than European vehicles. Just talking from experience. First Cali was too many problems so sold . Hope this one does not provide any. Even though it did arrive at dealer without a few items. Warfies are known for misplacing articles, not VW fault. DRIVE CAREFULLY MILLIE.

View attachment 20597 View attachment 20598 Noticed that the boot interior trim where the window surround meets the lower, full width section keeps loosening both top and bottom sections coming away. A sharp bang and it goes back in, but it should not keep happening.

One for the dealer soon I think.
Update
Dealer removed and replaced all boot trim, reporting that it had not been properly engaged from day 1 (i.e. factory) the trim round the window looks much tighter to the window/boot, and it all looks a bit better - we will wait and see...

Just had a suprise camping in France...
IMG_20170818_193147.jpg
One of the chairs broke on me! Pop rivet on front cross piece popped - Gorilla tape holding it for lighter family members, but it looks as though it was under strain BEFORE I sat on it!

The other chair looks under strain too.

IMG_20170818_193210.jpg

Still got 8-days here so hope they last out.

Disappointed.

After 5 months of ownership including three long weeks away, two weeks touring France we have the following small niggles on a snagging list:
  • Rear light in boot goes out when you touch the water tank (loose connection I think)
  • Black spots on the California footwell lights
  • Rattle inside front doors when the windows are down
  • Handles on kitchen cupboards regularly come out
  • The tape on the sliding wardrobe doors has detached
I will have these looked at during first service.

Also, the steering did occasionally clunck but this disappeared when the dealer fitted the lowering springs.

Hi everyone
Since the recent sale of our beloved florence(t5 180 manual) with much regret here is our new t6 ocean called Flossie( rip florence our English bull and welcome our now 18 month old Boston Elsie hence Flossie) so picked her up last Saturday the 10th Feb 67 plate stactic demo with all the extras and 101 miles on the clock.up to now two defects found, roof rubber cut above drivers door and trim missing from above wardrobe!!! Has anyone else suffered this, see attached photos

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

Three things
Soft door close has been intermittent, usually when the door has not fully closed and you try again.

Lots of the plastic washers holding the upper bed cover have come away.

High beam assist seems to have stopped working.

Otherwise a fantastic vehicle.

I have not even bothered looking.

Picked Alfie up and been in love ever since. He can do no wrong :)

Your right Flossie is perfect and a California is the best vehicle ever made just a shame to see little issues that let the vehicle down ❤️❤️

Three things
Soft door close has been intermittent, usually when the door has not fully closed and you try again.

Lots of the plastic washers holding the upper bed cover have come away.

High beam assist seems to have stopped working.

Otherwise a fantastic vehicle.
Re High Beam Assist.
I had a SEAT Ateca with this & once on it stayed on. With the Cali I have to switch it on each time I use it - not sure if that's your issue maybe ?

Hi everyone
Since the recent sale of our beloved florence(t5 180 manual) with much regret here is our new t6 ocean called Flossie( rip florence our English bull and welcome our now 18 month old Boston Elsie hence Flossie) so picked her up last Saturday the 10th Feb 67 plate stactic demo with all the extras and 101 miles on the clock.up to now two defects found, roof rubber cut above drivers door and trim missing from above wardrobe!!! Has anyone else suffered this, see attached photos

View attachment 30085

View attachment 30086

View attachment 30087

View attachment 30088

View attachment 30089

View attachment 30090

View attachment 30091

View attachment 30092
Where is your awning?

View attachment 20597 View attachment 20598 Noticed that the boot interior trim where the window surround meets the lower, full width section keeps loosening both top and bottom sections coming away. A sharp bang and it goes back in, but it should not keep happening.

One for the dealer soon I think.
Just noticed that our Preston MY17 has the same problem. Did you manage to correct? Thanks. Just noticed later reply - I will see the dealer.

The damage to the roof trim is odd, looks like an animal has been chewing it or perhaps someone has previously tried to remove the trim?

Where is your awning?
My old one had an awning but found we didn't use it much and didn't want to leave it out in case it rained through the night and filled it with water or if the wind got up it would rip it off so we decided not to have one on this, we are going to buy an outwell touring canopy which I think will be more suitable for us, if not then buy an awning at a later date. Update on defects, I'm going into my local dealer tomorrow to get the van booked in to get the wardrobe trim and roof rubber replaced at the cost of the dealership I bought it from which is only right as these things should be picked up before taking ownership of the vehicle

A couple of weeks ago it was -10 degrees centigrade here in Gothenburg. I started my Cali and the yellow filament lamp started flashing on the instrument cluster (is filament lamp the correct word for the one with a spiral?). The power from the engine was clearly reduced and the gearbox behaved strange. The car was in some kind of emergency limp-home mode. I drove for 20 minutes, then parked it for about one hour, and since then the problem has not occurred.
However, my workshop wanted to take a look at the problem and yesterday they told me the engine needs a replacement injection pipe. A vent in the pipe is likely to freeze in cold temperatures due to wrong design. I asked if this was part of a campaign, but it is not. There is a replacement part available which can stand cold temperatures.
I have a 204 DSG, -16.

Our T6 Beach will be two years old next month. Being an ex- demonstrator, we have owned it for all but three months of that time. It had 173 miles on the clock when we collected it and apart from a couple of since traced rattles, absolutely nothing has gone wrong and there have been no faults. I hope I haven't tempted fate by saying this but it really has been a perfect vehicle. Our previous ex-demo SE 180dsg 4motion was just the same. All that went wrong on that van was a small chrome cap falling off of the picnic table. VW gave us a whole new replacement table.

Obviously, being a complex vehicle some people do experience issues but you don't usually hear from the majority that don't.

Re High Beam Assist.
I had a SEAT Ateca with this & once on it stayed on. With the Cali I have to switch it on each time I use it - not sure if that's your issue maybe ?
I do switch it on each time and the A sign appears on the dashboard but high beam is never switched on. No cars ahead, no street lights and an open road.
It’s going in on Tuesday to be looked at.

We have a 205 4wd DSG on our fleet, talk about Friday afternoon. The drivers seat (the bit you sit on) was not fixed down and came out when you moved about,

The bed got stuck in the down position (there is a fix for this problem via VW warranty).

The battery kept going flat (starter) three visits and three weeks at the dealers and it turned out to be the start/stop module

3 pin plug wont go in

mini gas strut came off fridge

Electric Sliding door is scratching paint on wheel arch... Anyone have this issue ?

Back