Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean - 13 days, 594 miles...

Im of the same view as the majority. Get it fixed as its surely will be, then put it behind you and enjoy it. The two most unreliable periods for any vehicle are when its brand new and when its well past it. Its not symptomatic of an underlying bad un. Im not surprised the dealer would give you a refund as they will turn it around right now for a profit. In fact you could do the same ! Keep it.

Im not surprised the dealer would give you a refund as they will turn it around right now for a profit. In fact you could do the same ! Keep it.
Neither am I surprised, and I told him as much! If anyone is going to make a short term profit it will be me. Even when we collected it he was jokingly/seriously trying to buy it back :thumb

Joking aside we just want to crack on and drive the thing. I don't want to keep wasting hours and hours on the phone to VW and the dealer.

Neither am I surprised, and I told him as much! If anyone is going to make a short term profit it will be me. Even when we collected it he was jokingly/seriously trying to buy it back :thumb

Joking aside we just want to crack on and drive the thing. I don't want to keep wasting hours and hours on the phone to VW and the dealer.
Great news I believe,
For your own peace of mind, get the dealer to provide a video of the problem before the fix, so you have a record, along with the paperwork when the issue is fixed.

I would also ask the dealer to repeat a full PDI check on the van and provide you with a new copy.

As already mentioned by some others, you will of course want some “good will” gesture,along with a replacement of the two litres of oil you put in and in recompense for your wrecked first outing, loss of use and pure bluming stress of the last Year !

Do you want any accessories for the van, additional camping chairs, matts, side bars etc.

When you get the van back go over it with a fine tooth comb ASAP, to ensure no damage inside and out.

Will you collect or have it delivered back to you on a flat bed ?

Oh and one other thing

GET OUT WITH THE FAM AND START ENJOYING IT :cheers

don’t forget to wave ;)

Last night we collected "Billy Ocean" from Norwich even though it is 2 hours each way from home. We couldn't wait another week for a low loader to transport it back to us and hopefully it closes this unfortunate episode.

It would appear that it was as simple as a jubilee clip not tightened adequately, although the dealer replaced the oil return pipe as well to be safe.

Again I just want to say a big thank you to all the supportive and constructive comments we received. After waiting so long for our van, last weekend wasn't the most relaxing. We will get some miles on it this weekend and hopefully it will be the only blip for the next few years. If see you see a blue 6.1 Cali give us a wave! :thumb

Last edited:
Last night we collected "Billy Ocean" from Norwich even though it is 2 hours each way from home. We couldn't wait another week for a low loader to transport it back to us and hopefully it closes this unfortunate episode.

It would appear that it was as simple as a jubilee clip not tightened adequately, although the dealer replaced the oil return pipe as well to be safe.

Again I just want to say a big thank you to all the supportive and constructive comments we received. After waiting so long for our van, last weekend wasn't the most relaxing. We will get some miles on it this weekend and hopefully it will be the only blip for the next few years. If see you see a blue 6.1 Cali give us a wave! :thumb
Glad to see you have Billy back.
I’ll be keeping my eye out for Him !
I’ll be the nutter in a Majove Beach, grinning like a Cheshire Cat and waving like a Maneki-Neko in a force 10 gale. :cheers

Glad you’ve got it back just in time for the sunny weather.
Don’t forget to post a pic so we can see the posh 6.1 haven’t seen many about.

Brilliant news, so pleased for you. Now just enjoy it, have fun and travel safely :thumb

Glad it’s resolved and your finally able to enjoy the Cali life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to give you all a laugh. I checked the dipstick last night after getting back from Norwich and it seemed over filled. Just done another 50 mile run and same thing. So VW roadside assistance coming round tomorrow morning to suck some oil out. I am not even going to bother phoning the dealer. Surely even the most junior apprentice knows you add a little oil at a time and check the level. :headbang

Or they must be thinking, this van will loose the oil anyway...

:Iamsorry

I hope everything is cleared up now and you can start enjoying the van the way it is meant to be!

I love the colour same as my Florence, glitters in the sun, one minute looks dark blue and the next grey. Look out your window in the morning and the shade of your van will give a clue to the weather. I just look out the window and gloat that Florence is mine. Hope all goes well for you now.

Just had a call from VW "Customer Care". Basically after waiting 48 weeks for delivery, and then having to return a brand new vehicle because they couldn't connect a jubilee clip properly and it dumped 2 litres of oil, they are not interested in providing any goodwill. Genuinely amazed - basically VW UK do not care.

Anyway we have our van now and we will move on, but the entire buying process has been pathetic. Whinge over!!! :thumb

Yes. Unfortunately things happen that's why there is a warranty after all. The "low oil" monitoring system worked and the cause is outside of the engine and on the turbo return.
I had the EGR fail at 900 miles, replaced and now a shade short of 100k miles of happy motoring and many memories.
Similar thing happened to us: within two years the EGR failed. To be fair I was pleasantly surprised with the good service I received from trafford, manchester. They came and picked up camp dave and because we were planning to go away arranged a hire vehicle for three weeks because it was over the Christmas/New Year period.

I imagine some People would take the opportunity to swap a new comfort mattress and window blinds but it goes without saying that I wouldn’t do that sort of thing.

Back