Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 quality drop?

I agree. From a practicality stand point the door cards are now much better. I found that the fabric inserts also damaged very easily. You only had to catch it with your keys or a zip etc and it would mark.
Some of the club members have had the door cards recovered in leather when they had the seats done, it would be interesting to know what the door cards only cost.

Some of the club members have had the door cards recovered in leather when they had the seats done, it would be interesting to know what the door cards only cost.
Are there any photos of this?

I think there's a couple very useful storage spaces, covered with lid, in the T6 (comfort-Ocean) dash that are missing in the T6.1. That is a loss of functionality, I find those storage spaces very useful.

In that case...Improved functionality + lower cost = better value.
There’re many examples of better value comparing a 6.1 to a 6, mpg is an important one. Then there’re some (such as the rear seatbelt warning chime) that improve functionality at higher cost.
There are very few IMO that compromise functionality (which includes user experience). Even the dash has better electronics, but some dash plastics and cubbys do I think give worse value.

"Improved functionality + lower cost = better value". But the question is: where does that leave quality? It may be better quality for all I know but that's not the view of the OP.

Before citing better value, if anyone really wants to find out what has and hasn't been improved it's worth having a quite word the bods that work on these vehicles for a living. From what I have heard, amongst other things, the new digital dash hasn't been without it's problems and that's probably an understatement. I'm sure that situation will improve but as things stand I wouldn't like to say that the T6-1 dash has "better electronics". Before being cited as better they first have to be problem free and work as designed.

As for the T6-1 dash design, weĺl that again is a matter of taste but in terms of practicality I see it as a giant step backwards. Style has been placed before practicality. That should always be the other way around in a commercial vehicle. Compare this new dash with the basic T6 dash and it is easy to see what I mean.

From what I have heard, amongst other things, the new digital dash hasn't been without it's problems and that's probably an understatement. I'm sure that situation will improve but as things stand I wouldn't like to say that the T6-1 dash has "better electronics".

I don't recall seeing a single post on here about problems with the new digital dashboard.

Could you please elaborate?

In that case...Improved functionality + lower cost = better value. The Holy Grail?
There’re many examples of better value comparing a 6.1 to a 6. Then there’re some (such as the rear seatbelt warning chime and improved mpg) that improve functionality at higher cost. These are necessary and presumably account for part of the increased price.
There are very few IMO that compromise functionality (which includes user experience). Even the dash has better electronics, but some dash plastics and cubbys do I think give worse value. I suppose VW take a decision that the savings are worth more than the small number of potential customers lost.
Quality by definition is the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something.

The "improved functionality" in your formula above comes at a "higher cost" to the customer. I'm not sure I can agree with that being "better value".

To give a marginal improvement in claimed MPG they've changed the performance of the engine or gearbox to such an extent that drivers are noticing and feel the vehicles are underpowered compared with the T6.

I don't see that as an improvement in the quality of the product.

Even the saving on the cheap DSG shifter just seems petty. If they're that tight - what else have they done that you can't see. It doesn't add up to better value to me as a potential future customer.

I quite like technology and the digital dash has some appeal. Is it of better quality? We'll have to see how long they last compared with the tried and tested instrument cluster. My gut feeling is that they won't as most modern digital displays have quite a short lifespan.

Maybe that's what they want - throw it away and buy another one!

not on the dashborad but plenty on the new Camper Unit to be honest..

But Borris was specifically talking about the new digital dashboard he said, "the new digital dash hasn't been without it's problems and that's probably an understatement"

I havn't seen a single fault mentioned, but Borris seems to be aware of loads, what are they & where have they been reported?

Even the Camper Control unit doesn't appear to have as many faults as the old one, I havn't heard of a knob failure yet. The problems appear to be with what it is controlling ie the roof rather than the control panel itself.

I don't recall seeing a single post on here about problems with the new digital dashboard.

Could you please elaborate?
I'm not the person you should be asking. I'm merely relaying what I've been told by a knowlegeable third party. I didn't ask for detail. You may chose to ignore it but I have no reason to doubt the source. If it concerns you, I'd suggest making your own enquiries re specifics. If there have been issues, as my source has stated, then I am sure they will be resolved.

But Borris was specifically talking about the new digital dashboard he said, "the new digital dash hasn't been without it's problems and that's probably an understatement"

I havn't seen a single fault mentioned, but Borris seems to be aware of loads, what are they & where have they been reported?

Even the Camper Control unit doesn't appear to have as many faults as the old one, I havn't heard of a knob failure yet. The problems appear to be with what it is controlling ie the roof rather than the control panel itself.
If I remember correct there were a few problems, maybe not with the display of the new CU itself, rather its functionality. Not only the roof but other issues too with heating , panel frozen
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...w-quickly-was-it-put-right.37317/#post-460417

I'm not the person you should be asking. I'm merely relaying what I've been told by a knowlegeable third party. I didn't ask for detail. You may chose to ignore it but I have no reason to doubt the source. If it concerns you, I'd suggest making your own enquiries re specifics. If there have been issues, as my source has stated, then I am sure they will be resolved.

I am making my own enquiries - I am asking you! you are the only person that has ever mentioned problems with the digital dash, google shows no results, T6 forum has nothing, Facebook has nothing. I don't know where else to look.

As the dash has been in use for quite a few years now in vw cars, if there were any inherent problems I would have thought that they would have surfaced by now.

In my innocence I believe / hope that change in design, material and craftsmanship of a new version of the California is done to improve functionality and reliability of the camper. Does not VW build on this heritage?

First and foremost a camper has to be reliable, so I believe. Nobody wants to be stranded in a remote place somewhere in Europe with technical issues without help / immediate help.
Design and material comes then into practicality, how the camper helps to create a good and easy camping workflow that adds to the enjoyment to use the VW California when out and about.

My question is, has Volkswagen managed to increase this with the changes from T5, T5.1, T6 and now T6.1? As outlined before, a company needs and want to achieve more profit, but it is not acceptable if the reliability and functionality suffers.

But this is up to the users to decide. Do we believe in the (new) product? Do we trust the (new) product? If VW moves to far away from a decent California feeling at some stage customers will vote with their feet and move to other products, with many available nowadays (some even very interesting).

The T6.1 is with us for another 2 or 3 years and I am sure will find many happy users (and of course a few unhappy users as well). Only time will tell how reliable the T6.1 will be or if VW managed to "save" to much on craftsmanship and material.

Have I said that I need quickly to add something. Frequently I get magazines from Germany about camping, campervans, motorhomes etc. More and more it comes up that there are issues with new vehicles. People (and the press) believe now that up to 50% of the new leisure vehicles come with an issue that need to be fixed within the warranty. If one translate this to standard cars, that is very bad. Why this is, is anybody guess. Hm....

Happy hopefully reliable and enjoyable California,
Eberhard

I am making my own enquiries - I am asking you! you are the only person that has ever mentioned problems with the digital dash, google shows no results, T6 forum has nothing, Facebook has nothing. I don't know where else to look.

As the dash has been in use for quite a few years now in vw cars, if there were any inherent problems I would have thought that they would have surfaced by now.
As I have already said the information was given to me during a conversation. I didn't ask for detail. It's either true or it isn't. However, why would someone "in the know" make something like this up?

I only mentioned it because this thread is concerned with perceived quality.

Here’s one

two

three

seems Borris source may not be fictional

im finiding lots of issue with VAG digital cockpi, maybe my Google’s not broke and Andy‘s is . :Iamsorry

Last edited:
I think the thread has split in two issues:
1) is the quality of the same, replaced/upgraded components deteriorated on T6.1 vs T6 ?
2) are the new features offering a better, more convenient, augmented usability.

The OP started the thread noting his impression of lower quality plastic on the dash on 6.1 vs 6. It is irrelevant if the digital cockpit offers more information, that's another topic. You could offer more technology and equal/better plastic.
Is the "cheaper" looking card door giving a better usability as it is more resistant to scratches ? if yes it could be seen as an upgrade.
The dash itself offers less usability on 6.1 vs 6 because of less storage spaces that in such vehicle is important.
The Camping Unit is definitely looking way better in the 6.1 as in the 6. But is has to work flawlessly to be better. And we have to see about its longevity and repair costs vs repairing the old CU knob.
The D mode vs S mode thread has also gained life again, yet another issue for the t6.1 as there is no S mode anymore and some users here seem not happy with how the 6.1 (down)shifts...
I do like the new doors for the wardrobe near the fridge and at the back. There it is improved quality, looks, without reducing functionality.

Here’s one

two

three

seems Borris source may not be fictional

im finiding lots of issue with VAG digital cockpi, maybe my Google’s not broke and Andy‘s is . :Iamsorry

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it" comes to mind!

I think the thread has split in two issues:
1) is the quality of the same, replaced/upgraded components deteriorated on T6.1 vs T6 ?
2) are the new features offering a better, more convenient, augmented usability.

The OP started the thread noting his impression of lower quality plastic on the dash on 6.1 vs 6. It is irrelevant if the digital cockpit offers more information, that's another topic. You could offer more technology and equal/better plastic.
Is the "cheaper" looking card door giving a better usability as it is more resistant to scratches ? if yes it could be seen as an upgrade.
The dash itself offers less usability on 6.1 vs 6 because of less storage spaces that in such vehicle is important.
The Camping Unit is definitely looking way better in the 6.1 as in the 6. But is has to work flawlessly to be better. And we have to see about its longevity and repair costs vs repairing the old CU knob.
The D mode vs S mode thread has also gained life again, yet another issue for the t6.1 as there is no S mode anymore and some users here seem not happy with how the 6.1 (down)shifts...
I do like the new doors for the wardrobe near the fridge and at the back. There it is improved quality, looks, without reducing functionality.
I remember the “Poverty” spec comments regarding Cali B’s with that dash, mainly from then Cali O owners ! Which I thought at the time was disingenuous and taking the rise out of Cali B owners who had not opted for the Dash upgrade To the comfort Dash.

Since the release of the 6.1 there hasn’t been many poverty spec comments regarding the dash from Cali O owners ?

now the Poverty look Dash is fitted to the Cali O its De rigueur!

Queue the Forum Fight :pinkbanana :Iamsorry

No cubbyhole or glove box to store the handbook, which needs to be kept handy. Absolutely ridiculous!
Door cards without that rather nice soft fabric, a good idea. It's a campervan so it's alot more practical. Anyway, you can only see the door cards when the door is open. The rest of the time it's hidden from view, so unnecessary nicety.

The heating is people not reading the instruction manual & not understanding the 2 hour time limit.
I have a T6 so don’t have a T6.1 manual. What is the 2 hour time limit on the T6.1 please?

I remember the “Poverty” spec comments regarding Cali B’s with that dash, mainly from then Cali O owners ! Which I thought at the time was disingenuous and taking the rise out of Cali B owners who had not opted for the Dash upgrade To the comfort Dash.

Since the release of the 6.1 there hasn’t been many poverty spec comments regarding the dash from Cali O owners ?

now the Poverty look Dash is fitted to the Cali O its De rigueur!

Queue the Forum Fight :pinkbanana :Iamsorry
Are you trying to say the new Ocean T6.1 is marketed to previous T6 B owners, so they won't notice any difference in quality ? :shocked:D:mute:upsidedown

I have a T6 so don’t have a T6.1 manual. What is the 2 hour time limit on the T6.1 please?
Two modes for the heating, as I understand. "Heat continuously" & "Heat Immediately". By the sounds of things the later should be avoided, as after 2 hours it stops and cannot be reset without a drive (Or various fuse pulling exercises). There is a Cali Chris video that explains the menu choices, that might help.

No problems at all with my Discover Media Pro apart from the one time it ‘black screened’. Reset by touching the on/off button for 10 seconds.
No problems with the Camper Control either.

No problems at all with my Discover Media Pro apart from the one time it ‘black screened’. Reset by touching the on/off button for 10 seconds.
No problems with the Camper Control either.
On my T6 I want over a speed bump too quickly and the apple play cable half came out. There was a resultant full volume feedback noise that was so load I had to pull over. I disconnected the phone, turned off the stereo, removed the key and locked the doors by it persisted! No idea what occurred but after about ten minutes of me scratching my head it stopped. I’m glad I was in a place to pull over.

Back