Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 quality drop?

Juran's "fitness for intended use." This definition basically says that quality is "meeting or exceeding customer expectations." Deming states that the customer's definition of quality is the only one that matters.

Last edited:
On my T6 I want over a speed bump too quickly and the apple play cable half came out. There was a resultant full volume feedback noise that was so load I had to pull over. I disconnected the phone, turned off the stereo, removed the key and locked the doors by it persisted! No idea what occurred but after about ten minutes of me scratching my head it stopped. I’m glad I was in a place to pull over.
Weird one!

No cubbyhole or glove box to store the handbook, which needs to be kept handy. Absolutely ridiculous!
Door cards without that rather nice soft fabric, a good idea. It's a campervan so it's alot more practical. Anyway, you can only see the door cards when the door is open. The rest of the time it's hidden from view, so unnecessary nicety.
Mines got a glovebox, it fits the handbook, has a lock on it. who said there isn't one?

Last edited:
I have a T6 so don’t have a T6.1 manual. What is the 2 hour time limit on the T6.1 please?
The parking heater has 3 modes,
Heat Immediately
Heat Continuously
Ventilate

The heat immediately function is what the remote control fires up. It has a 2 hour time limit on its use without driving the van. Until the van is driven the heater cannot be restarted in that mode.

If you use the Heat Continuously function there is no time limit.

Its thought the limit is a throwback to the original van as the heater is fitted as an option to some & they don't have leisure batteries, so in those its powered off the starter battery & the limit is to stop it being flattened.

It is possible to rest the timer by pulling fuses.

Once you understand this its easy to operate the heater properly all night. It may be that a future software upgrade can remove the time limit.

"Improved functionality + lower cost = better value". But the question is: where does that leave quality? It may be better quality for all I know but that's not the view of the OP.

Before citing better value, if anyone really wants to find out what has and hasn't been improved it's worth having a quite word the bods that work on these vehicles for a living. From what I have heard, amongst other things, the new digital dash hasn't been without it's problems and that's probably an understatement. I'm sure that situation will improve but as things stand I wouldn't like to say that the T6-1 dash has "better electronics". Before being cited as better they first have to be problem free and work as designed.

As for the T6-1 dash design, weĺl that again is a matter of taste but in terms of practicality I see it as a giant step backwards. Style has been placed before practicality. That should always be the other way around in a commercial vehicle. Compare this new dash with the basic T6 dash and it is easy to see what I mean.
I would see 'quality' (or rather 'user experience') as part of functionality. It may be (is, in my view) that the 6.1 dash plastics are not as satisfying to the eye/touch as the 6. But it may (I've no idea) also be true that the plastics are lighter weight and more sustainable (incorporate recycled material?) so in those ways quality has improved, and they are cheaper to produce. On balance then the user experience loses, but the decision clearly hasn't dented sales, so perhaps that decision was worthy?

I totally agree of course that to be considered 'improved' it needs to be problem free and work as designed. I see @Perfectos VAG articles, non of which refer to the California digital dash, so perhaps early issues with other models were ironed out. Assuming the dash works , I cant see the argument that the dash doesnt have better electronics. The digital dash is more functional, the infotainment has a larger screen and additional functions, the USBc ports transmit data and charge more quickly.

I agree too that the physical dash is less practical, it's difficult to know why VW sanctioned the removal of the lid on the top cubby, glovebox, cup holder etc on such a prestige vehicle, especially as I don't necessarily agree that it is more stylish.

Let’s be honest. For what we buy them for, the T6 is great, and the T6.1 is great. I’d be happy with an original T5 SE. In fact, I’d love a 4Motion 2.5TDI. It would appear that those with a T6 wouldn’t dream of downgrading to a T6.1, but those that have are content with what they have. However everyone thinks VW are a bunch of thieving capitalists (I refrained from using another C word). The best solution is to plan a route that demands your full attention on the road or track and the scenery and for goodness sake stop focusing on your door cards. When you get there pull out your fire pit, something tasty, and a cold drink from your fridge and enjoy. :happy

And if it's a new Cali you're after and the ability to extend to a 5 year warranty for a few hundred pounds extra , then the choice has been made for us.

Let’s be honest. For what we buy them for, the T6 is great, and the T6.1 is great. I’d be happy with an original T5 SE. In fact, I’d love a 4Motion 2.5TDI. It would appear that those with a T6 wouldn’t dream of downgrading to a T6.1, but those that have are content with what they have. However everyone thinks VW are a bunch of thieving capitalists (I refrained from using another C word). The best solution is to plan a route that demands your full attention on the road or track and the scenery and for goodness sake stop focusing on your door cards. When you get there pull out your fire pit, something tasty, and a cold drink from your fridge and enjoy. :happy
we are desperately trying to get into a T6 vs T6.1 fight in here and then you come with these friendly peace inducing words!
Some people..

And if it's a new Cali you're after and the ability to extend to a 5 year warranty for a few hundred pounds extra , then the choice has been made for us.
The extended warranty cost me 1600€..... still not sure if it was worth it, because I could repair a lot of stuff with that cash... oh well, at least I'm forced to get it serviced by VW official dealers now!

So at the end of the day the only quantifiable reasons that anyone has come up with for not buying a T6.1 are:

Theres no glovebox - when actually there is one.
The digital dashboard is a disaster and never works - but there's been no reported cases ever of a failure.
The fabric has gone from the doorcards - but everyone agrees its a benefit.
The heater doesn't work - but it does if you read the manual.

You've not convinced me yet that it was a bad idea to buy one.....

So at the end of the day the only quantifiable reasons that anyone has come up with for not buying a T6.1 are:

Theres no glovebox - when actually there is one.
The digital dashboard is a disaster and never works - but there's been no reported cases ever of a failure.
The fabric has gone from the doorcards - but everyone agrees its a benefit.
The heater doesn't work - but it does if you read the manual.

You've not convinced me yet that it was a bad idea to buy one.....
Not glove box, but the storage in the middle above the dash with no lid.
The storage next to the gear selector with lid not there anymore. The bottle cooled storage at the bottom low centre console not there anymore.
The fabric in the cockpit of the t6 I find it nice and elegant. I don't see what need to be so robust there that I'd rather have plastic...
It helps feeleing more like driving a car than a van.
The heater probably works, it seems not so intuitive and/or user friendly.
There is no more "S" mode on the DSG.

The bottom grill on the front is ugly, but that 's personal taste.

Otherwise it looks more modern with the displays and CU which still has a knob of uncertain durability...

I do like the upgraded doors on the wardrobe, but I find the one on the t6 perfectly functional.

But still better looking than a T5 or a T6, the only good looking one was the T5.1
You protest to much, if your happy with what you’ve got currently, be happy.,
not everyone will agree with you Andy,. that’s life. the last best thing was a T6 !

People said the same about the T6 when that came out!
do not agree, the multimedia system is switched from German to Korean like (JVC??) and dash and door interior is indeed the same as the Transporter in stead of the Multivan. So agreed that it is a cost saving (standarization) issue. I looked seriously into the 6.1 but will keep the T6 until I may go electric with the ID-Buzz

I would have kept my T6 quite happily too. But having had the fridge replaced, the shoddy rubber covering on the dash around the dsg lever detach and require replacing, the rear quarter window leaking like a sieve, the alloy wheels corrode, the roof shutter self opening in transit and require replacing, a sagging roof, the engine start to use excessive amounts of oil (but less than the VW dictated 1ltr per 600 miles limit (yes, really!!)) and the first signs of roof rot appear on the roof cap (yes the cap, which is meant to have been fixed) I decided that the quality wasn’t really up to scratch given the van was only 2 1/2 yrs old and got rid. To be fair, my first T6 was faultless so I’m hoping #2 was a Friday afternoon van and that the 6.1 will fair better; if it doesn’t VW will not be seeing any more of my cash. So, I’m not overly fussed by the subjective, perceived quality or not of the door cards or dash, and that’s not how I will be judging the 6.1 when it arrives.

Another thing to note is the flashing Alarm LED light on the drivers door is a lot harder to see in the T6.1 than the T6. Every night before going to bed I check and its barely visible.

I don’t mind the T6.1 dash over the T6 comfort dash but I did miss the central cubby whilst camping the other week for my wallet and watch.

Is the T6.1 production moving to Turkey? If so, would one expect this to have a negative impact on quality?
No reason why it should, Transit build quality (or was it just an improved model?) seemed to go up when that went to Turkey.
Wolfsburg is moving to solely electric production, mistakenly in my view as Fuel Cell or Methane is the real answer.

Back