Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Cali Beach configuration doubts

EnricoWindsurf

EnricoWindsurf

MY2018 T6 Cali Beach 2-seater bench "Silver Surf"
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone,

I just joined your group as I would be interested to a T6 Cali Beach TDI 150ps.

I have three doubts:

1) Choosing the 16 "wheels how is driving? It's okay or too bouncing (roll, pitch) to justify the 17" wheels (though more rigid on irregular asphalt). Has anyone tried anti-roll bars?

2) I would go for the 4-seat configuration (in order to charge sports equipment - windsurf board etc.) plus single additional seat on 2nd row: can this be useful or is it annoying to download it?

3) Additional window on sliding door.
It may be useful overnight for air circulation or is just a source of trouble (I have read about water leaks from the outside and easy opening by thieves).

Thank you so much and best regards,

Enrico (Milano-Italy)

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I just joined your group as I would be interested to a T6 Cali Beach TDI 150ps.

I have three doubts:

1) Choosing the 16 "wheels how is driving? It's okay or too bouncing (roll, pitch) to justify the 17" wheels (though more rigid on irregular asphalt). Has anyone tried anti-roll bars?

2) I would go for the 4-seat configuration (in order to charge sports equipment - windsurf board etc.) plus single additional seat on 2nd row: can this be useful or is it annoying to download it?

3) Additional window on sliding door.
It may be useful overnight for air circulation or is just a source of trouble (I have read about water leaks from the outside and easy opening by thieves).

Thank you so much and best regards,

Enrico (Milano-Italy)

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi Enrico, welcome.

I don't think you will notice much difference between the 16 or 17 inch wheels. It has anti-roll bars but you can upgrade to heavy duty ones which some do.

The 2nd row seat is quite restrictive on interior space and they are quite heavy to lift in and out.

I wouldn't use the side windows, particularly the door one for ventilation overnight as it would be too easy to access the door lock from outside. Useful at other times though. I have heard that they used to leak but I had them on my Caravelle (multivan?) which I had for 5 years and now my Ocean with no issues.

Welcome onboard , loads of options to chose from ...

I have 17" cavascel wheels on my beach it is a T5, I find the standard suspension quite firm and bumpy on modern UK roads (I use the term road loosely ;) ), which have very poor surfaces in places. I never knew whether this related to my wheels but I wouldn't expect a vast difference, the tyres are still quite tall after all.

I wouldn't use the side windows, particularly the door one for ventilation overnight as it would be too easy to access the door lock from outside.

You could always fit the Reimo Side Window ventilation Grills for ventilation with Security.
Unless you frequently Wild Camp in dodgy areas, which I don't, I don't think sleeping with windows open on a well run campsite is a problem. After all it's a lot easier to get into a tent.
I appreciate the need for security but it can be taken too far in my opinion.

We bought our beach last year with 16" and changed to 17", there is a slight difference in ride quality from the 16"s but the 16"s look too small on the van.
Never used our side sliding window and there's a whole other debate on 2-3 seats.

Ps if your driving at night night be worth looking at the LED pack as the standard lights are VERY POOR :(

Good luck :thumb

Hi Richy,

here in Italy between 16" alloys and 17" alloys there's a difference of 1.169€ (Devonport) or 1.414€ (Cascavel), so wheels at VW are not that cheap!

LED pack is around 1.900€, too much, so I'm planning to go for the Exterior Pack (halogen twin headlight - same as California Ocean ones - plus fog lights). OK for Led lights on tailgate.

Please consider that currently I reached a number of 22 options and a total value of about 57 K Euros for a Cali Beach.

I think that VW should offer a "full optional" pack at a bargain price (I find the German "Edition" model still expensive).

Ciao, Enrico

16" wheels are fine, though we did upgrade the anti roll bars. As money is an issue, leave the wheels as standard - you can always upgrade later.

2 Vs 3 bench seat. All I can say is the 2-seat option works for us with so much storage space in the drawer and the storage box. We have the single seat and lift it in and out without a problem; yes it is heavy, but you have great flexibility, but it does take up extra space.

Side window - we went for that for through draft (dogs) no leaks so far.

Enjoy your shopping!

Can anyone comment on handling difference when having the stiffer anti roll bar upgrade?

Having owned two Calis side by side, one with 17" wheels and the other with 16", I seriously doubt if you would notice much, if any difference. Also, unless you drive like you're on fire, then I wouldn't waste any money on uprated anti roll bars either.

Regarding the seat layout, all I would say is thoroughly examine how you are going to use the vehicle and also consider how your circumstances and requirements might change during your ownership. It is most important to choose the right seating configuration at this stage. It would be very expensive and difficult to provide extra seats later especially if you go for four seats now only to find that you need seven later.

The extra window in the sliding side door is useful for providing extra ventilation but not at night. If it rains you will get water coming in. It would also compromise the security of your cali. My advice would be to fit a pair of Dubflectas. These devices are fitted to the two electric front window frames and enable you to leave these windows slightly open to provide ventilation without rain ingress. They also allow you to drive along with the window slightly open without getting soaked and/or blown to peices.

Back