Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 DSG 204 - Top speed?

jason.oneill4

jason.oneill4

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Folks,

Just wondering how fast can a Cali actually go?
(assuming it's empty, perfect conditions, autobahn etc...).

Cheers!
J.

Just check the brochure ,
i do not feel the need to test it .
I know my 2012 SE 140bhp DSG been taken me sevral times smoothly up the Mont-Ventoux , been to Austria , German highways ( most have a speed limit did you know ?) , Norway ( max 80km/h did you know?) now in Wales touring .
No need for speeding.
Enjoy the slow driving instead of speeding;)

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how fast can a Cali actually go?
(assuming it's empty, perfect conditions, autobahn etc...).

Cheers!
J.

I don't know about top speed but I managed to average 52MPH on the M25 this morning which felt quite supersonic considering the lethargic, geriatric mollusc pace normally achieved.

I do believe VW quote 112mph.

I don't know about top speed but I managed to average 52MPH on the M25 this morning which felt quite supersonic considering the lethargic, geriatric mollusc pace normally achieved.

I do believe VW quote 112mph.

112mph... (180kph). Interesting, thanks GS!
I know my 2012 SE 140bhp DSG been taken me sevral times smoothly up the Mont-Ventoux , been to Austria , German highways ( most have a speed limit did you know ?) , Norway ( max 80km/h did you know?) now in Wales touring .
No need for speeding.

Thanks HC - wise advice indeed! J.

No need for speeding.
Since May 2014 the General 80kph countryside limit has been raised on certain roads to 90 or 110kph.:thumb

Since May 2014 the General 80kph countryside limit has been raised on certain roads to 90 or 110kph.:thumb
I didn't know that WG. It was higher than that on motorways earlier than that (90kph around Stavanger) in the early noughties.
However given the country roads are not very wide, no cats eyes and no curb to make it easy for snow ploughing (so you're straight off the road if you're not concentrating) after 10 years living there I didn't feel the need or desire to break the speed limit... Although I realise I'm not answering the original post.

I didn't know that WG. It was higher than that on motorways earlier than that (90kph around Stavanger) in the early noughties.
However given the country roads are not very wide, no cats eyes and no curb to make it easy for snow ploughing (so you're straight off the road if you're not concentrating) after 10 years living there I didn't feel the need or desire to break the speed limit... Although I realise I'm not answering the original post.

You got a 204bhp , go out and test it ....

It was, as you said. But some other roads have now been included and some limits raised. In the North the limit was 90 for cars and 80 for HGV, but it was a quiet road with predominantly HGVs.

Ive seen 110mph on the clock of my 140SE which showed as 102mph on the satnav, that was easy on the flat & felt like a fair bit still to come given enough straight clear road. I reckon folding the mirrors in is worth a couple of MPH.

Why would you go so fast in such a heavy vehicle that handles like a blancmange?

Why would you go so fast in such a heavy vehicle that handles like a blancmange?
Think he does not dare and therefore ask it here....
Probaly best not to try test it ...i certanly would not test it , thistime i truly belive what the VW brochure is saying:bananadance

Its a heavy vehicle agreed but certainly does not handle like a blancmange, most importantly when standing on the brakes it stops quickly with no drama at all & is quite happy doing high speed lane changes. So on a relatively straight, traffic free & dry motorway, where the limit allows why not do that speed?

Having done similar or greater speeds in a number of vehicles I would make the following observations:
1. Landcover Discovery 2 - emergency stop from 70mph involves a lot of correction on the steering & fresh underwear, never got it over 85 anyway.
2. Mini cooper S - smallest of bumps, potholes etc & the wheels leave the ground - once got airborne - or it felt like it on the M25 within the speed limit certainly could get the traction control lights flashing at 70
3. BMW Z4 anything over 90 & the front goes light needs constant steering correction.
4. Rollerteam 700 motorhome - speed limit 70 on the motorway, but anything over 40 when there was any wind about was a challenge to stay in lane.
5. VW California - on motor way type roads the chassis out performs the engine. Generally absorbs all the bumps, steering tracks straight, unaffected by cross winds. Get onto narrow twisty roads & then its the handling thats the limiting factor.

If I wanted to pootle along at 50 I would have bought a T2 or a caravan, for us the major advantage of the cali is being able to cover large distances at car like speeds - 90mph on the clock = true french motorway speed limit

VW California - on motor way type roads the chassis out performs the engine. Generally absorbs all the bumps, steering tracks straight, unaffected by cross winds. Get onto narrow twisty roads & then its the handling thats the limiting factor.
Fine, till it all goes wrong and the unexpected happens. An emergency swerve/ lane change/ moose test etc at high speed will no doubt flip the heavy cali. I've seen it in small vans with very little effort.

Straight line not a problem at 100 but cornering :Nailbiting

Fine, till it all goes wrong and the unexpected happens. An emergency swerve/ lane change/ moose test etc at high speed will no doubt flip the heavy cali. I've seen it in small vans with very little effort.
Didn't see many Moose on the Autobahn.:thumb

I would rather take my chances at high speed & rely on the decent brakes & stability control, than risk being hit from behind by a lorry or worse still suffer the ultimate embarrassment of being overtaken by a caravan:Grin

Pretty much a ton and not even hit 3000rpm, fully loaded.
Still plenty left if required ;)

Got to love the German Autobahn :D

On paper: 170 or 177 km/h.
Have not tested it, and will not test it.
The fastest driving was 135 on speedo, 130 digital, probably 127 on GPs.
It takes a lot of time to reaccelerate to 130 from 90 in 6th gear.

Lol, what a 5th cylinder all can do!

Back