Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6... something about to happen?

treecity

treecity

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Today, a VW dealer emailed me a PDF brochure for the new T6 Transporter.

The brochure lists colour options for the new California.

I was unable to share the PDF here from my phone so I tried to find a link online but all the VW official pages are down, example:

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/california

Question is... is the VW website getting ready to update with the new T6 info?!

Brochure also mentions two EU6 engines

It does seem that the VW Vans website is down. Admittedly I'm in France at the moment, but even a Google UK search fails to find a link that works. I find it almost incredible that a company of the size and presence of VW could have their website down for more than 24 hours (to be fair the cars site works, but a link to the vans site from there results in '503 not available').

Site is still down, very strange for them not to put a holding page up if they are carrying out an update.

Site is still down, very strange for them not to put a holding page up if they are carrying out an update.

Perhaps it's down because they've discovered roof-rot on the title banner :shocked

I wouldn't think the whole website would go down every time a new model is announced :D

Maybe it's the North Korea or Chinese hackers?

That page was there before. Looks like its the Chinese hackers :)
Have registered with VW re.availabiility and price etc for T6 in UK and had a generic reply basically stating that i will just have to wait and see.

After speaking to VW Head Office yesterday, they said a press release will be issued next week regarding the launch of the California in the UK. It sounded as if it would not be that detailed with regard to the specification and costs etc. They did say there would only be 2 models available in the UK – the Beach and the Ocean.

The issue of information in the near future might be hampered as the previous Head of Press and PR Commercial Vehicles has now moved to the car division and his replacement will not be in post until 6th July.

Hey, bloody humans again. Would we all be causing such a stir if the website didnt SEEM to have issues? Clever Propaganda me thinks...everyone loves to publicly highlight problems and winge about problems afterall.

Hey, bloody humans again. Would we all be causing such a stir if the website didnt SEEM to have issues? Clever Propaganda me thinks...everyone loves to publicly highlight problems and winge about problems afterall.

There's not much point in whipping up marketing hysteria if you don't have product to sell. The only real question in my mind is whether VW will have a California product available once the current T5 run ends.

I have spoken to VW HQ today and she confirmed that there will only be two Californias in the UK - the Beach and the Ocean (equivalent to the SE). As yet there are no prices or timing details available but interestingly there will be a 204ps petrol variant.

Press release 18.6.15 from VW in red below. There were six images linked to this but we have been unable to incorporate them in this release. They are the same pictures which have already appeared on the German site which to all intents and purposes show that it is just a T5.2.

"VW Press Release 18.6.15

- New engine range with fuel efficiency improvements of up to 15 per cent

- DSG and 4MOTION options – power outputs from 102PS to 204PS

- New driver assistance features, adaptive suspension and new infotainment system

- New safety systems; Driver Alert, Brake Assist and Automatic Post-Collision Braking

- Acclaimed layout and interior packaging retained and improved

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is set to kick-start the summer holiday season with the official unveiling of the new California. Based on the recently revealed Transporter T6, the new California remains the only factory-built camper van on the market, and offers a host of improvements and new features for buyers who want the ultimate home from home.

The new California is the fourth model to bear the name, and builds on the strengths of its highly successful predecessors. The range incorporates all the key features introduced on the new Transporter T6, including new, more efficient engines that are up to 15 per cent more economical than the outgoing units. The new California also features a range of advanced technologies designed to make life safer and even more enjoyable for occupants. These include driver assistance systems, a completely refreshed infotainment system and the availability of adaptive suspension.

The launch engine range includes both diesel and petrol options, along with DSG and 4MOTION four-wheel-drive derivatives. Power outputs for UK models range from 102 PS for the entry-level 2.0-litre TDI engine (Beach models only) up to 204 PS for the 2.0-litre TSI petrol unit (Ocean models only).

Naturally, the new California retains the legendary practicality and storage ingenuity of its predecessor. Available in two forms; Beach and Ocean (which replaces the current SE model), the California can sleep four occupants courtesy of its acclaimed pop-up roof (electro-hydraulic on Ocean models) that neatly integrates a 1.2m x 2m double bed. Ocean models also feature a fully-equipped kitchen, complete with 42-litre refrigerator, twin-burner hob and stainless steel sink unit. Ocean models also gain a dimmable LED lighting system for the pop-up roof and tailgate and a clever multi-functional holder for the rear compartment that incorporates a cup, ashtray and towel holder all in one.

Driver and passenger safety is another are where the new California excels. Among the many advanced features introduced on the fourth-generation models are a Driver Alert System, Brake Assist and an Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. The former is fitted as standard on all models and can detect any deviation from normal steering patterns. If deviation is detected, the system uses visual and acoustic warnings to recommend that the driver takes a break. Brake Assist adds another layer of security by registering the speed at which the brake pedal is pressed. During emergency braking, it ensures full brake pressure is applied more quickly. Finally, Volkswagen’s acclaimed Automatic Post-Collision Braking System triggers braking after a collision, with the aim of preventing secondary collisions. After a short delay, the vehicle begins a phased braking action down to 6mph, during which the driver can take control at any time.

UK prices and final specifications for the new California range will be announced shortly.

About the Volkswagen California

Since its launch in 1988, the California has become the benchmark vehicle in the camper van sector. 22,000 examples of the first T3 California models were produced – with the T4 version recording 39,000 sales. More than 50,000 examples of the outgoing T5 version have been sold to date. The California remains a unique offering by being the only factory-built camper van on the market. Production of the new model will continue at Volkswagen’s bespoke assembly facility in Hanover, Germany."

What did they say about the big demand in Germany and rest of Europe that has made big delays at Limmer and they will not start buiding any T6 until September?

The press release was sent to us from the new Press and Public Relations Manager who does not officially take up her position until the 6th July so as yet is not fully up to speed with the situation. I will contact her again after 6th July to see if I can glean any relevant facts.

My T5 Cali that is on order is not due until September now so I assume they will not start making any T6's until then? I guess all the Europeans are in the queue before us?

2.0 Litre TSI Petrol engine option on the Ocean. But that has a parking heater fitted as standard, which uses diesel, unless the UK Ocean is not the same as the EU one (other than RHD of course). All very odd. Two fuel tanks seems unlikely.

2.0 Litre TSI Petrol engine option on the Ocean. But that has a parking heater fitted as standard, which uses diesel, unless the UK Ocean is not the same as the EU one (other than RHD of course). All very odd. Two fuel tanks seems unlikely.

They have petrol versions of the parking heater :)

I am with VW UK press people at a T6 event in Sweden next week so I will see what I can find out from them direct about UK availability and where things are up to etc
and I get to drive some T6s so can tell you about that too!

I understand the California is to be launched in Scandanavia before the UK o_O

I think you guys may not see a T6 until 2019 unless you buy a left handed one, I don't think VW knew the demand would be so high.

Talking to VW bods at the big T6 driving event in Sweden this week, the RHD commercials should become available in UK from October. The RHD Cali for the UK will be the Ocean (almost identical spec to the SE) and its probably now not till Jan 2016 till they arrive here, though maybe sooner. Dealers have had their big launch thingy now and feedback from them to VW was such that the two tone Generation 6 model should also become available in RHD now. Some very nice colour combos too!
Can confirm driving T6 is very much like a T5 but better..smoother, quieter and the new bigger engine option is really powerful.

Last edited:
Talking to VW bods at the big T6 driving event in Sweden this week, the RHD commercials should become available in UK from October. The RHD Cali for the UK will be the Ocean (almost identical spec to the SE) and its probably now not till Jan 2016 till they arrive here, though maybe sooner. Dealers have had their big launch thingy now and feedback from them to VW was such that the two tone Generation 6 model should also become available in RHD now. Some very nice colour combos too!

BORING

John

Back