Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 SPARE WHEEL POST PRODUCTION - HELP!!

• Thread starter Julian_Camper_Man
  • Start date
Julian_Camper_Man

Julian_Camper_Man

My Ocean on order has 18" wheels and therefore the spare wheel option is now not provided but a temporary inflation kit is (really doesn't make sense to me at all) - you get less and pay more!! Grrr

1. Does anyone know if the spare wheel basket holder for the original 17" standard wheels are still fixed to the new T6?

2. I am considering buying a spare steel or alloy 17" wheel to carry around as an emergency back up because my Volvo developed a puncture Thursday and caused tyre wall damage rendering the injection kit useless - 24 hours later, a courtesy car and a £148 bill has taught me that the injection kit is a pretty poor substitute for having a spare wheel to hand - this is the second time it has happened in 2 years and on reflection i wished i had left 18" wheel option alone

3. If 1 is yes 100% sure then does anyone want to sell me a 17" steel or preferably Allow wheel (with new tyre) and is there any reason why this is not a good idea?

Go for a 16" steel - the larger profile tyre will make the same circumference. If its just for getting you home / repairers and you go steady - no problems ....

16 inch will not fit a 180 SE so if you have a 204 T6 i would be careful using 16inch

My Ocean on order has 18" wheels and therefore the spare wheel option is now not provided but a temporary inflation kit is (really doesn't make sense to me at all) - you get less and pay more!! Grrr

1. Does anyone know if the spare wheel basket holder for the original 17" standard wheels are still fixed to the new T6?

2. I am considering buying a spare steel or alloy 17" wheel to carry around as an emergency back up because my Volvo developed a puncture Thursday and caused tyre wall damage rendering the injection kit useless - 24 hours later, a courtesy car and a £148 bill has taught me that the injection kit is a pretty poor substitute for having a spare wheel to hand - this is the second time it has happened in 2 years and on reflection i wished i had left 18" wheel option alone

3. If 1 is yes 100% sure then does anyone want to sell me a 17" steel or preferably Allow wheel (with new tyre) and is there any reason why this is not a good idea?
Knowing VW I doubt if the Spare Wheel Carrier is fitted - I could be wrong.
The 180SE had larger front Brake Calipers and a 16" would foul the calliper so you had to use 17" or above. I don't know about the 204 Ocean. Probably the same.
A 17" steel wheel with suitable tyre to give the same overall rolling radius would be OK as a Spare for short distances and low speed, e.g.: 100 miles and 50 mph.

Go for a 16" steel - the larger profile tyre will make the same circumference. If its just for getting you home / repairers and you go steady - no problems ....
Your point got me thinking.
Are you saying that an 18" wheel and tyre combination will always have the same overall diameter as a 16" combo or 17" for that matter?

Are you saying that an 18" wheel and tyre combination will always have the same overall diameter as a 16" combo or 17" for that matter?

It doesn't have to, but when you get bigger wheels you should really get lower profile tyres so the overall diameter is the same, otherwise all sorts of bad things happen:

• Wheels might foul on wheel arches
  • Speedo will read the wrong speed
  • More (or less) load on the gearbox

It doesn't have to, but when you get bigger wheels you should really get lower profile tyres so the overall diameter is the same, otherwise all sorts of bad things happen:

• Wheels might foul on wheel arches
  • Speedo will read the wrong speed
  • More (or less) load on the gearbox
Thanks Teaboy,
It is not something I have ever thought about. I have always been quite happy with the standard wheel/tyre combo as supplied by the manufacturer. They usually have higher profiles and are therefore more comfortable on our poorly maintained British roads.

If a manufacturer offers various wheel sizes as VW does on the California 16"/17" and 18" then the tyre sizes fitted will be such that the rolling radius is the same/ or very,very close so that speedo/odometer,ABS sensors etc: will not be affected. However, this means that larger wheels have lower side wall tyre profiles and the lower the profile then the harsher the ride can be, not always but often, as the side wall does absorb a lot of the impact of potholes and rough terrain. Also, as the wheel rim is closer to the road then wheel damage by potholes/rough terrain is more likely.:thumb

Thanks Teaboy,
It is not something I have ever thought about. I have always been quite happy with the standard wheel/tyre combo as supplied by the manufacturer. They usually have higher profiles and are therefore more comfortable on our poorly maintained British roads.

I have got to an age now where sport/lowered/low profile are no longer considered a bonus. I like soft and squidgy :)

I have got to an age now where sport/lowered/low profile are no longer considered a bonus. I like soft and squidgy :)
Also its almost impossible to kerb the 16" alloy - i quite like the more utilitarian look of the higher profile tyres and they are def more practical for dusbineering off road to discrete camping spots.

I suspect the floor shaping for the spare is still there and I dare say the hinge bracket towards the front is also. If so then the bolt holes behind the bumper will also be present. So the only bits missing may be the carrier, hinge pin and the bolts and sleeves. All of these will be available as spares from your local dealer, or off eBay and should be an easy fix.

Alan

Also its almost impossible to kerb the 16" alloy - i quite like the more utilitarian look of the higher profile tyres and they are def more practical for dusbineering off road to discrete camping spots.
I agree. Give me the 16" high profile jobs anytime. The other big advantage they have over the 17" and 18" offerings is that the tyres are very much cheaper.

Yes I agree as well. Just sold my T5.1 transporter, 4.5 years old with 16" tangis alloys from new. I kerbed the tyres many times but the alloys were in as new condition when I sold it.
I worry about the 17" Devonports on my T6!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back