Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 VW California Delays

Still raining outside, but here are a few hastily-taken snaps on the drive.
View attachment 16725 View attachment 16726
View attachment 16727 View attachment 16728
The Bamboo Garden Green seems to change colour according to the angle you view, ambient light and, especially at the moment, reflections in the shiny new paint! We like it though.
The fifth seat is for occasional use and will be stored, suitably covered, on a wheeled rack I have made in the garage.
Everyday use will include transport for the dogs, so the multiflex board is already out (safe storage will be more awkward than imagined - it is quite large). A newly modelled dog transport cage will soon be in the boot, bolted to the rail system, but will give us more room in the cab area, leaving the pop-top for sleeping.
Pop-top has stayed down today - didn't want to get it wet!
Cali-club security bolt now on the spare...
We got Heavy Duty mats free of charge, along with a clear bumper protector (that would have been charged, but for an ever-so slight wrinkle, so the salesman deducted the full amount).
I also negotiated that he honoured the Service deal that was on when we signed up for the Finance in February - £179 + VAT for 2-full, 2-interim & the first MOT (currently £349).
I paid for the extra 2-year VW warranty - just one repair will repay the £329 +VAT I have stumped up now (I have just paid £1000 to repair a 4-year-old Peugeot after a hydraulics failure in the clutch...)
Last minute decision to go for the Lifeshine too - partly because of the price of good-looking seat covers, but also to give a head start on keeping it looking nice. Pricey at £320, but a bag of goodies too, and I've saved myself a job or too this week.
£750 VW Deposit Contribution, £1000 VW Loyalty bonus also honoured, and a discount of a shade under 8%.
Driving experience so far - good, though we are both new to DSG so some adjustment in driving required; fine when on roads, but just a little tentative in car-parks, etc., and trying to to work out the logic of the Stop-Start, as it seems a little random at the moment!
Can't believe the wait is over :thumb
Looks great @Stoneybroke!
Colour looking good too.
See you went for the exterior pack. I like the black wing mirrors.
Is life shine for the outside or interior?

Looks great @Stoneybroke!
Colour looking good too.
See you went for the exterior pack. I like the black wing mirrors.
Is life shine for the outside or interior?
Yes, exterior pack, though mainly for the lighting extras - twin headlights and the front fog lights. They are a revelation to, slow speed turning and the inside fog comes on for extra lighting of the corner! Didn't know that till it happened (then found it in the poorly written/laid out manual).
Life shine was outside plus a repellent treatment for all seats.

15165-269526dcbbd6dffaa853be5347bf2f63.jpg

Of the 5 quintillion or so option variations open to Beach buyers, you seem to have nailed it. (Why is there no smiley for envy?)

Of the 5 quintillion or so option variations open to Beach buyers, you seem to have nailed it. (Why is there no smiley for envy?)
Praise indeed! Thank you.
Many hours of deliberations, not to mention calculations, and just a couple of post-order changes - the biggest being the jump from manual to DSG - all supported by the discussions on this forum, and experiences of members, which has been invaluable in our journey so far.
Next comes the California Beach experience - living the dream.
No doubt the forum will continue to be a fantastic resource to answer my questions and queries.

I ordered mine at the end of August and have just been given a week 43 build date .. should be here by Christmas!

I ordered mine at the end of August and have just been given a week 43 build date .. should be here by Christmas!
That's a very quick turn around. Is it a provisional week 43 or a confirmed build week?

Well I think it's confirmed.. they won't let me change the spec as it's been set .. computer says no :stop

Well I think it's confirmed.. they won't let me change the spec as it's been set .. computer says no :stop

Hi @johnv

What's your spec? I ordered a Cali Beach 150 PS 6-Speed Manual at the end of August also. Initially it logged as week-6, then after a few days, jumped forward to week 43.

I'm currently waiting an update from my dealer.

From what I've read on this forum, it should change from "proposed" build week to "confirmed" build week, approx. 4 weeks before "actual" build week. If this is accurate, and I think we are now in week 39? So, if..... (pretty please....) if..... Build week 43 is to be achieved, it would make sense that no further changes are allowed for you/us.

Fingers crossed for a Christmas delivery anyway!!

Jonathan

Last edited:
Hi @johnv

What's your spec? I ordered a Cali Beach 150 PS 6-Speed Manual at the end of August also. Initially it logged as week-6, then after a few days, jumped forward to week 43.

I'm currently waiting for an update for my dealer.

From what I've read on this forum, it should change from "proposed" build week to "confirmed" build week, approx. 4 weeks before "actual" build week. If this is accurate, and I think we are now in week 39? So, if..... (pretty please....) if..... Build week 43 is to be achieved, it would make sense that no further changes are allowed for you/us.

Fingers crossed for a Christmas delivery anyway!!

Jonathan
Oh the joys of the VW waiting list. Maybe they have just swapped your date for mine. (from wk 39 to 44 and climbing.)

Oh the joys of the VW waiting list. Maybe they have just swapped your date for mine. (from wk 39 to 44 and climbing.)

It's a roller-coaster ride for sure!

I changed my wheel choice from 17" Cascaval Silver to 17" Cascavel Anthracite and the "provisional" build date jumped forward at the same time. Dealer couldn't confirm this was definitely why it jumped forward, but it seemed to be a pretty obvious explanation to me.

To add some further detail/suspicion..... The "VW Configurator" was showing the 17" silver wheels, as a no-cost upgrade. However, this was later highlighted to me as an error, and VW wouldn't write-off the mistake and I would thus need to pay for the 17" wheel upgrade after all. When I realised this, I changed form the "supposedly free" silver wheels to the anthracite version of the same wheel instead, as I preferred them and since I was now going to be paying for the 17" wheel upgrade - I may as well have the ones I preferred.

So, my theory..... Everyone selected the "Free" silver 17" wheel upgrade, as free is a good-thing. Then this banjackesed the stock system, as the 17" Silver Cascavel Wheels became over subscribed due to a bug in the configurator.

It's a roller-coaster ride for sure!

I changed my wheel choice from 17" Cascaval Silver to 17" Cascavel Anthracite and the "provisional" build date jumped forward at the same time. Dealer couldn't confirm this was definitely why it jumped forward, but it seemed to be a pretty obvious explanation to me.

To add some further detail/suspicion..... The "VW Configurator" was showing the 17" silver wheels, as a no-cost upgrade. However, this was later highlighted to me as an error, and VW wouldn't write-off the mistake and I would thus need to pay for the 17" wheel upgrade after all. When I realised this, I changed form the "supposedly free" silver wheels to the anthracite version of the same wheel instead, as I preferred them and since I was now going to be paying for the 17" wheel upgrade - I may as well have the ones I preferred.

So, my theory..... Everyone selected the "Free" silver 17" wheel upgrade, as free is a good-thing. Then this banjackesed the stock system, as the 17" Silver Cascavel Wheels became over subscribed due to a bug in the configurator.
When you say highlighted what do you mean? I like you ordered cascavel silver at no extra cost. the vehicle has been built and left the factory (I think it is already in the UK) but at no point has anyone asked me to change or stump up more cash.

When you say highlighted what do you mean? I like you ordered cascavel silver at no extra cost. the vehicle has been built and left the factory (I think it is already in the UK) but at no point has anyone asked me to change or stump up more cash.

I placed my order, by emailing my dealer the saved configurator output .pdf file. We had agreed on a percentage discount, so that allowed me to play with the config to match my budget/expectation/desire.

However, when the dealer input my chosen options, into his ordering system. The 17" Cascaval Silver wheels had an associated price tag. This resulted in a difference in my expectation and what the dealer was seeing his end. The dealer said he had reported his observation to VW product support, and they confirmed it was a mistake in the configurator and the configurator prices have an accuracy caveat (subject to change without notice etc.) So, basically, his price trumped the configurator price and that's what I had to pay.

On checking the configurator, a few days later. I was able to see the Silver wheels were no longer a no-cost upgrade. So, I left it at that.

Last edited:
I placed my order, by emailing my dealer the saved configurator output .pdf file. We had agreed on a percentage discount, so that allowed me to play with the config to match my budget/expectation.

However, when the dealer input my chosen options, into his ordering system. The 17" Cascaval Silver wheels had an associated price tag. This resulted in a difference in my expectation and what the dealer was seeing his end. The dealer said he had reported his observation to VW product support, and they confirmed it was a mistake in the configurator and the configurator prices have an accuracy caveat (subject to change without notice etc.) So, basically, his price trumped the configurator price and that's what I had to pay.

On checking the configurator, a few days later. I was able to see the Silver wheels were no longer a no-cost upgrade. So, I left it at that.
Thanks for that. Suppose I will have to see what mine turns up with and then argue the toss:(

Thanks for that. Suppose I will have to see what mine turns up with and then argue the toss:(

Can I ask, when did you order yours? I also assume it is a Beach also? Or is it an Ocean? Finally, did you select the 17" chassis upgrade and weight re-classification to 3080kg also?

Can I ask, when did you order yours? I also assume it is a Beach also? Or is it an Ocean? Finally, did you select the 17" chassis upgrade and weight re-classification to 3080kg also?
Hi Jonathon, mine was ordered on 25th June. It is a 150 manual ocean. When I ordered, the 17" chassis upgrade was quoted as standard and not a cost option.

My ocean order was placed on August 8th.
8 weeks on and I still have not had any sort of date as yet ?
I keep emailing dealership and I'm told there has been no update.
Surely I should have had some sort of date back by now do you not think?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon
I didn't hear anything for about 6 weeks before getting build week confirmed. If you contact VW directly they will give you the latest status, you will need your order reference which, if you don't already have, they can find for you (keep this as it makes the checking process much easier).

Thanks

Simon
Don't worry too much about not hearing. I didn't hear a confirmed build date for about 14weeks.

Just had my monthly update from the dealer, still tentative week 50 build with week 4 delivery.

Ocean ordered at the end of July

Just had my monthly update from the dealer, still tentative week 50 build with week 4 delivery.

Ocean ordered at the end of July

that certainly doesn't stack up with mine (as said ordered end of August, week 43 build)
I wonder if they're prioritising high spec (read value) ones, to get cash in?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I didn't hear anything until about 6 months down the line. I think that this is just the way VW roll. On a lighter note I pick mine up in the next 1 to 2 weeks!!!!!!

that certainly doesn't stack up with mine (as said ordered end of August, week 43 build)

Or it could just be issues with parts. I know that my van was delayed for a while because there was a problem getting Alcantara seats. Just playing devils advocate here.

I just called VW CC, and quoted my order number. The helpful chap who answered, told me my "provisional" build date was showing as week 45 (7th November.) He said to call back next week, to check if it has updated to "confirmed" status (as it should do within 4x weeks of actual build date.)

Just for background. I confirmed my order with my dealer on the 16th August. He said it was "provisionally" booked on the 19th (but didn't supply an order number.) When I chased/pushed/received my order number on the 6th September, it showed an "input" date of the 5th September. So..... I can only assume is was only paced on the 5th September (which was frustrating.)

Following some changes/clarification of order/costs after the 6th (see above) the initial provisional build week 6, jumped forward to week 43, and it has now slipped to week 45.

Mine was a pretty full on spec, so don't thing its a money thing

Back