Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 - All electric?

Nice one. I thought it was still like his space venture, I.e. only open to corporate investors.

Given Tesla are also moving into storage systems for PV at home, makes sense to invest. If the investment isn't enough to cover a vehicle it might cover a PV storage system.

Interesting though I'm sure I'll be well on the way to wearing out my T6 before it comes out. Life's too short to delay the next holiday!!

Betting this will not make it in this vision though.. watered down version in Toureg mode with 180 mile range

I've seen last October a company called Car2go in Austin (USA) which rent small electrics cars and tbeg are distributed around the city, as one of those bicycle renting managed by city councils. I've seen that a great solution, you don't need to own a car.

Curiously a friend of mine tried same thing in Madrid, also called Car2go, which looks like the owner is actually Mercedes (not sure about that).

I think that could (Should?) be the model in a future. For big trips yoy can own or rent as well.

I am all for a self-driving electric vehicle - that's the future; choose to own one, it can be out working Uber for you while you're in the office; knows to be back at 5pm with charge to get you home

I can't think of anything much more boring than a self driving vehicle personally. That's called a train. I love driving even though in this country now it can become a chore at certain times and places. Glad I'm old enough to remember when you could go out and have a good thrash around without big brother watching your every move, get home, change your oil, decoke the head, weld all the holes, pay someone five quid for an MOT and do it all again next month. ;)

I enjoy driving too, one of the reasons why our Cali is not a daily driver. However, there are some journeys like the one to the Alps we have coming up in a few weeks time where the thought of a self drive vehicle is quite appealing

I enjoy driving too, one of the reasons why our Cali is not a daily driver. However, there are some journeys like the one to the Alps we have coming up in a few weeks time where the thought of a self drive vehicle is quite appealing
That's called a Coach or a train.:D

There should be a tongue in cheek smiley...

Well, someone has driven all the way to Sydney down under with an Electric Vehicle. Interesting route, virtually avoiding Western Europe. Did take 3 years.

I am not sure if it still the case but BMW used the system mentioned above of having the right vehicle for the right journey. We looked at buying the i3, which was electric but had a small 2 stroke motor on board (which didn't drive any of the wheels but served as a generator when needed to support the low battery), and BMW offered a loan 3 or 5 series for longer journeys. I think you subscribed to the service, giving you a fixed number of days use of the bigger vehicles per year.
Clever system - both the loan car and the onboard generator - but there's no denying the inevitable weight of the Cali when using battery power.

In saying that, the Tesla Model S, the ultimate electric car at the moment, I would suggest, weighs in at over 2 tonnes, can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds (if you tick the right options) and is good for over 200 miles on a charge so there is hope!!
correction the I3 has a 600cc four stroke range extender..

Back