Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tail gate or tow bar bike rack?!

Apologies. I know this one has been done over and over and ultimately it comes down to preference.

I’m hovering over the send button to confirm a tow bar fit with PF Jones. Best price I could find by some way.

I can’t help thinking it’s a lot of money. Tow bar and rack around £1100, and am I missing out on the VW rack’s major benefit of being always there in the van when you need it?

We are a family with young kids who also love riding (like me).

Major concern on the VW rack is the overall height, and not being able to get into the boot.

We mainly do short ish trips camping with a 2 week summer holiday combining with hiring a cottage for a week that sort of thing.

I’d love to do more riding with friends using the van now the kids are getting bigger I might even escape the odd weekend

VW rack I could buy second hand maybe £400-450 or a new one for about £500 if you keep your eyes peeled.

Tow bar is as I said more than double that.

Any thoughts from folks in similar position?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Neilos,
We are in a similar position to you, a family with young kids. I have a video review on my YouTube Channel explaining why we changed from the tailgate mounted bike rack to a towbar mounted bike rack. If you are interested you can watch it here: Towbar Bike Rack Review

I have also made a video review of the Westfalia Towbar that we retro fitted to accommodate the bike rack. You can click here to watch: Westfalia Detachable Towbar Review

Hope this helps !

Cheers
JT

I will be selling a new VW bike rack as soon as we collect our new T6.1, hopefully in a few weeks, as part of the deal I agreed. We will be having tow bar bike rack.
Let me know when you sell the rack mate - we might be interested for a quick buy/sale :)