Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 900 mile cycle ride - part 1.

Good luck with that Bill, a serious undertaking. Are you doing LeJog or Jogle? Of the two I always favoured Jogle, John O'Groats can be a bleak place and the drive to get away from it gave me great motivation! On the other hand part of my spirit lives in Sennen cove so always a joy to feel the distance closing. I also enjoyed walking into the better weather although I did have heatstroke the second time, gong tits up in Aviemore.

Quite amusing really, I was helped into a pub, shivering like mad. Police came, arranged for the doctor to see me at the medical centre, and whilst waiting for him to arrive there they covered me with blankets.

The tutting from passers bye as I was led out to a waiting police car with a blanket over my head :shocked

Good luck with your trip. If I may suggest, plan some elasticity into your itinerary. It is not the miles per day, it is the every day that is wearing. Every day regardless of tiredness, muscle aches, weather, or body just screaming for a rest. Sometimes it's good to just give it a rest.

So many charities are suffering this year. The one I run for, Phabkids, normally have 250 places for the London Marathon, at a pledge of £2k a place that is a huge chunk of income lost. Thank you for doing what you are doing. Without people like you then the world would be a so much poorer place.
Blimey I hope my trip is drama free compared to your story ! We are doing LEJOG and I will be with a group of around 16 on a pre booked itinerary so its 14 consecutive days with no breaks - part of the challenge I guess.
Thank for your kind words - the biggest shame is that in our so called “rich” country, facilities like the one I’m helping have to rely on charity at all !
Anyway, I’ll be following your story closely - good luck !

As an example:

Day -1 we arrive Harleston, 14 miles from ness point. We take the bikes on the back of the Cali to the Crown Inn on the A143, 6 miles from Ness point. Cycle in, do the photo bit, do a bit of sightseeing (not much to look at though the Birds eye factory can be enchanting in the right light :shocked ).... cycle back to the Cali, return to Harleston.

Day 1. Cycle from the Campsite to the crown, have a cup of coffee, cycle back via a different route through beccles. Take Max for a walk. Cycle 10 miles in the opposite direction and back again.

Day 2: Take the Cali to where we left off the previous day. Cycle 15 miles one way westwards, come back a different way, plonk the Cali on the bike rack, go back to take Max for a walk

Day 3, park up at our finishing point the day before (I think we will be using the Gressingham foods car park near Hoxne), cycle another 15 miles westwards, then return to Cali etc.

Day 4, repeat procedure.

Day 5 tow the caravan to Cambridge, then day 5 and 6 cycle Eastwards to where we left off, then days 7, 8, and 9 progressively Westward then leapfrog with the Caravan to Earls Barton, Wellingborough ....

and so it goes on. ... and on .... and on ...... but seriously, loads of places en route to explore, visit, study, photograph.
So as I thought you will be riding twice the mileage. :thumb

Best of luck to you both Jen and I'm sure the wine will help sooth away any aches:cheers

Blimey I hope my trip is drama free compared to your story ! We are doing LEJOG and I will be with a group of around 16 on a pre booked itinerary so its 14 consecutive days with no breaks - part of the challenge I guess.
Thank for your kind words - the biggest shame is that in our so called “rich” country, facilities like the one I’m helping have to rely on charity at all !
Anyway, I’ll be following your story closely - good luck !

Out of interest, if you are following the usual track, we will be crossing the M5 on Sunday 13th June, Evesham to Upton upon Severn. Any chance we may meet? :D

Out of interest, if you are following the usual track, we will be crossing the M5 on Sunday 13th June, Evesham to Upton upon Severn. Any chance we may meet? :D
Afraid not , I’m doing it in August !

Last year read Raynor Winn's "The Salt path". Today took the book from my book shelf and re-read parts of it, after seeing your walking plans. Now will follow your thread.

“We lay homeless and penniless under the stars. We had lost everything except our children and each other, but we had the wet grass and the rhythm of the sea.”

Have a nice trip.

Maybe (let) install a chain guard on your bike, as a bare chain gathers mud and dust, and is wearing out fast. And spoils your trousers...

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Years ago I switched to white wax lubricant for my bike chains. Others I know are using Teflon lubricant. Dust and mud don't stick to it, and it won't dirty your hands or legs. It does have to be applied more often than chain oil.

Years ago I switched to white wax lubricant for my bike chains. Others I know are using Teflon lubricant. Dust and mud don't stick to it, and it won't dirty your hands or legs. It does have to be applied more often than chain oil.

I have been recommended white lightning epic. Knowing nowt about bicycles I might just have well been recommended Marstons Pedigree bitter.

I have been recommended white lightning epic. Knowing nowt about bicycles I might just have well been recommended Marstons Pedigree bitter.
Just stay away from Marlon Brando's butter recommendation.

I have been recommended white lightning epic.
I had to Google it to find out if it wasn't Janis Joplin's preferred beverage.

Clearly you're getting good advice.

Last edited:
I had to Goggle it to find out if it wasn't Janis Joplin's preferred beverage.

Clearly you're getting good advice.

Janis Joplin ..... now that brought some memories flooding back.... piece of my heart now ....

Was watching a programme on Ronnie Scott tonight, brought back my wild years around Frith Street and Wardour street, the Flamingo, long John Baldry and Georgie fame and of course, always, Ronnies.

Wallowing in nostalgia now .....

Janis Joplin ..... now that brought some memories flooding back.... piece of my heart now ....

Was watching a programme on Ronnie Scott tonight, brought back my wild years around Frith Street and Wardour street, the Flamingo, long John Baldry and Georgie fame and of course, always, Ronnies.

Wallowing in nostalgia now .....
Ufff, don't start. My 65th is in ten minutes, just managed to go through some of my Pyrenees rock climbs from 30 years ago. One of the funniest:

3A7DE7BF-1A1E-4F6E-9320-22DD35AE7FD3.jpeg95236CF8-7117-438D-8467-DCFD5343A786.png

109B85E5-BF31-49DC-AC55-F18826E93236.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes Gen, grip over speed, always.
Falling off bikes is no laughing matter.

The new van looks great.
Love the pull down bed concept, great use of space.

I have been looking at Schwalbe marathon E plus. I really don't fancy going downhill over wet leaves or on to gravel with what I have now.

I have been looking at Schwalbe marathon E plus. I really don't fancy going downhill over wet leaves or on to gravel with what I have now.

Have a search for CX tyres...
Or google road/gravel tyres and there’s loads of good tyres to suit.
I personally prefer a bit of knobbly action. You can get the small knobs that offer a lot of grip without sacrificing road speed.

Anyway, drag won’t be as much of an issue with the e-assist bike.

As an example:

Day -1 we arrive Harleston, 14 miles from ness point. We take the bikes on the back of the Cali to the Crown Inn on the A143, 6 miles from Ness point. Cycle in, do the photo bit, do a bit of sightseeing (not much to look at though the Birds eye factory can be enchanting in the right light :shocked ).... cycle back to the Cali, return to Harleston.

Day 1. Cycle from the Campsite to the crown, have a cup of coffee, cycle back via a different route through beccles. Take Max for a walk. Cycle 10 miles in the opposite direction and back again.

Day 2: Take the Cali to where we left off the previous day. Cycle 15 miles one way westwards, come back a different way, plonk the Cali on the bike rack, go back to take Max for a walk

Day 3, park up at our finishing point the day before (I think we will be using the Gressingham foods car park near Hoxne), cycle another 15 miles westwards, then return to Cali etc.

Day 4, repeat procedure.

Day 5 tow the caravan to Cambridge, then day 5 and 6 cycle Eastwards to where we left off, then days 7, 8, and 9 progressively Westward then leapfrog with the Caravan to Earls Barton, Wellingborough ....

and so it goes on. ... and on .... and on ...... but seriously, loads of places en route to explore, visit, study, photograph.

Is it too late to change your plans? As its for a good cause I would happily volunteer to pick you +1 +2 bikes up at the end of a day (or take you to a start point) & transport you back to your van for any of the bits where you are within a few hours drive of us - say anywhere roughly between the start & Coventry. It would halve your mileage each day or double the effective distance you cover.

Is it too late to change your plans? As its for a good cause I would happily volunteer to pick you +1 +2 bikes up at the end of a day (or take you to a start point) & transport you back to your van for any of the bits where you are within a few hours drive of us - say anywhere roughly between the start & Coventry. It would halve your mileage each day or double the effective distance you cover.

Andy,

What a lovely gesture, thank you so much.

We have deliberately forsaken a back-up team on this occasion.It's is probably Jo's Swan song, doubtful that the advanced arthritis in her hips and knees will ever allow her to do something like this again. Therefore we do not want to be a slave to a timetable.

I have to admit, it's driving me nuts, my whole mentality is just get from A to B as fast as possible, but it's not about me, its about someone who was there for me 30 years ago when I could barely put one foot in front of another and several times a day was overcome with severe neurological pain, but she was with me stop by step, so a leisurely tour it is.

There is one way though we do need help. If anything happens to me Jo is stuck. She cannot drive the van, we will have a dog left alone in a caravan and if we could have someone to call for help in dire emergency that will give her so much comfort. WE still have memories of Warwick Racecourse 18 months ago when carrying food out of the camper, I stepped backwards on to a non-existent step and fell backwards against the caravan step fracturing a wrist and two bones in my hand. Fortunately we were able to get someone to come and help get us home but it's left Jo with a big "what could I do" if we were miles from the caravan and I was lying splattered in a road somewhere!

GrannyJen
I would of course be happy to be on standby for any emergency if thats the sort of help that you need. I will forward contact details via PM.
Andy

So,

Apart from Covid, the first complication.

Knaus have delayed delivery of our new caravan from March to June, Too late for us so I've cancelled. We will manage with the Eriba which means practicing getting the bikes on and off the A Frame rack.

We complain about VW dealers. I only found out about the delay because I called the dealer to arrange taking the mover off the Eriba before putting it up for sale in anticipation of a new caravan arriving in three weeks time :shocked

@OnlyJen i thought you were going down the Ayers Rock route...?

@OnlyJen i thought you were going down the Ayers Rock route...?
I have one on order but probably not in time either. It would be a blessing, carry one of the bikes In the van so only one on the rack. Having said that I was hoping to use the Cali for this trip as it is a far more nimble machine. Cali / Knaus, but Ayers Rock / Eriba is favourite now.

The AR is a "family" machine, not just "mine". I think sometimes we underestimate in this forum just what a magnificent all rounder the Cali is and looking at some of the single track roads we will be using I would prefer that to something longer and wider.

Having said all that, when it comes to winter camping I know who in the family will be taking the Ayers Rock!

Last edited:
So,

After ordering a swish new caravan to carry the bikes in ... only to be told of three months delays....

a chance to use the new Family Ayers Rock... only to be told 6 weeks delay ....

It's now back to the proven "A" Team!!

IMG_1387.jpeg

So,

After ordering a swish new caravan to carry the bikes in ... only to be told of three months delays....

a chance to use the new Family Ayers Rock... only to be told 6 weeks delay ....

It's now back to the proven "A" Team!!

View attachment 73413
The original and the best! :thumb

The original and the best! :thumb

I feel as though I've gone around th houses three times over and ended up at square one!!

Getting the bikes on and off the A-Frame rack is a nightmare but just going to have to be done now :)

I feel as though I've gone around th houses three times over and ended up at square one!!

Getting the bikes on and off the A-Frame rack is a nightmare but just going to have to be done now :)
The bike loading does sound like a real struggle from your earlier posts and I bet the bikes are really heavy. I’m sure it will get easier, even if it’s not as easy as the new caravan option

I doubt there are many bike rack options with the Eriba but at least you know you can manoeuvre down the narrow lanes with greater ease in the Cali. Plus, you know your van inside out, so there’s no new kit to get your head around before you set off.

It’s going to be a fantastic trip and I’m looking forward to reading all about it!

I feel I may have asked this before.
But could the bikes go inside the Eriba?

I feel I may have asked this before.
But could the bikes go inside the Eriba?

No, I have a kitchen unit to the right of the door, the toilet protrudes into available space right opposite and to try and put them in with a lift hand turn is obstructed by the fridge unit.

It will be fine, we have got the bikes on and off 4 times before, it Is a faff, one of the things I am looking at is when we finish our ride out from one campsite, and are therefore at our closest location to the next, dropping the bikes off before going back to the caravan, and hitching up the following morning.