Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 900 mile cycle ride - part 1.

It’s probably one of those task that requires it to be done again and again. Easy & quicker once you figured out a routine.
:thumb

No, I have a kitchen unit to the right of the door, the toilet protrudes into available space right opposite and to try and put them in with a lift hand turn is obstructed by the fridge unit.

It will be fine, we have got the bikes on and off 4 times before, it Is a faff, one of the things I am looking at is when we finish our ride out from one campsite, and are therefore at our closest location to the next, dropping the bikes off before going back to the caravan, and hitching up the following morning.
Hi.
Do you have to lift you ebikes on? Or could someone devise a simple ‘ramp’ for you get them on? These bikes are heavy beasts.

Hi.
Do you have to lift you ebikes on? Or could someone devise a simple ‘ramp’ for you get them on? These bikes are heavy beasts.
I’m certainly prepared to meet you on your journey through Wales to help if required - might even be one of your ‘domestiques’

Hi.

The first one goes on fine, two of us, one either side, lifting is easy.

Then comes the problem :D

The second one fouls the jockey wheel handle. So the van has to be hitched and the jockey wheel turned away before the second one can be lifted on which means one person one side single-handed getting front wheel on, then other person other side pulling the rest of it on.

It's got easier with practice but it has provided many caravan-dwelling curtain twitchers with many hours of amusement. :shocked

It’s probably one of those task that requires it to be done again and again. Easy & quicker once you figured out a routine.
:thumb

Silly things ....

When we first realised we had to hitch caravan up before getting 2nd bike on ....

I hitched up, pulled up the jockey wheel as I would prior to departure, then went back to get the second bike on. Almost standing on tip-toe with around 23kg of bike balanced above our heads then I had a lightbulb moment .... drop the jockey wheel down ...o_O Half a metre less to clear:oops:

I’m certainly prepared to meet you on your journey through Wales to help if required - might even be one of your ‘domestiques’

That is a very kind offer. We are coming in from the North though.... Hereford to Hay on Wye, then dropping South to Carmarthen via Brecon, Usk Reservoir, Bethlehem, Ffairfach (Llandeilo), campsites HoW, llangadog and Clynderwern.

My big concern is that with no back up team if anything should happen to me or Jo then the other one could be stranded and Max, the Dog, left alone in the caravan, so any emergency contact number would be a big weight off us. Unlikely to be used but we had an incident 18 months ago camping at Warwick when I broke my wrist and hand so couldn't drive the van (Jo cannot) and four weeks ago whilst out cycling Jo's knee just seized up and she could barely get on her bike.

GJ, not familiar with the A frame of an Eriba. Are you able to post a pic so that we can suggest options.

My thought would go towards a small Aluminium C channel, that can be used as a loading ramp?

Hi.
GJ, not familiar with the A frame of an Eriba. Are you able to post a pic so that we can suggest options.

My thought would go towards a small Aluminium C channel, that can be used as a loading ramp?

Now,

Do take pity on me. I'm as dexterous at solving these problems as someone blindfolded, wearing boxing gloves and trying to sort out a rubrics cube covered in butter.

Bike one is no problem. Two of us just lift on from the front of the hitch.

Then comes the problem of that thing with the red handle. It can't be turned with the second bike in place so the vehicle has to be hitched first. That means it cannot be lifted on over the hitch with creates a little bit of a struggle.

caravan rack 1.jpgcaravan rack 2.jpg

Now,

Do take pity on me. I'm as dexterous at solving these problems as someone blindfolded, wearing boxing gloves and trying to sort out a rubrics cube covered in butter.

Bike one is no problem. Two of us just lift on from the front of the hitch.

Then comes the problem of that thing with the red handle. It can't be turned with the second bike in place so the vehicle has to be hitched first. That means it cannot be lifted on over the hitch with creates a little bit of a struggle.

View attachment 73430View attachment 73431
How about getting a mod to the jockey wheel handle? If it was cut off above the vertical post and bolt head/wheel bolt welded in its place you could use a socket set ratchet drive to wind the jockey wheel up and down. Probably slower than the existing handle but you could operate it with both bikes loaded.

How about getting a mod to the jockey wheel handle? If it was cut off above the vertical post and bolt head/wheel bolt welded in its place you could use a socket set ratchet drive to wind the jockey wheel up and down. Probably slower than the existing handle but you could operate it with both bikes loaded.

Exactly my thoughts GJ. Cut off that handle. Anyone can weld a bolt on top of it. You can use a ratchet driver to drive it up or down ... and that will solve the problem.

If you want to do it DIY, then cut off the handle and file the end into a square or a hexagon to take an appropriate sized socket.

The upside- no one else can mess around with that handle when you are parked up.

Exactly my thoughts GJ. Cut off that handle. Anyone can weld a bolt on top of it. You can use a ratchet driver to drive it up or down ... and that will solve the problem.

If you want to do it DIY, then cut off the handle and file the end into a square or a hexagon to take an appropriate sized socket.

The upside- no one else can mess around with that handle when you are parked up.

I've just mentioned it to Jo who's had to go for a lie down with a cold towel over her forehead :shocked

I'm not too sure if it was the dismembering of her beloved caravan that shook her or the vision of me with a ratchet driver in my hand. I have a family ASBO against me ever using tools :(

I've just mentioned it to Jo who's had to go for a lie down with a cold towel over her forehead :shocked

I'm not too sure if it was the dismembering of her beloved caravan that shook her or the vision of me with a ratchet driver in my hand. I have a family ASBO against me ever using tools :(

Then ratchet it up a notch with something like the below :D

1613063648552.png

Raise and lower at the press of a button ... and between the Cali and the Eriba, there will be enough battery to power that :thumb

Can't you put a bike rack on the rear of an Eriba? I'm sure I've seen one.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions above :)

Knaus have just come back and have offered us their Demo, the one that should have been on display at the NEC until the Caravan show was cancelled.

I'm quite pleased with it, it comes with a load of extras including a ramp to ride bicycle/motorcycle into the van itself which really pleases me.

Knaus have just come back and have offered us their Demo, the one that should have been on display at the NEC until the Caravan show was cancelled.

I'm quite pleased with it, it comes with a load of extras including a ramp to ride bicycle/motorcycle into the van itself which really pleases me.
That is good news.

I was concerned that putting two electric bikes on the A-frame of the Eriba was going to exceed the nose weight limit and make towing a nightmare.

Having the bike inside the caravan in their own garage nearer the caravan"s wheels is a much better option.

Good Luck with the trip.

Alan

I've towed with the bikes on the A frame, but then the weight has been counterbalanced by the Atera Towball rack and the caravan awning being inside the caravan right at the rear.

The big thing with the Knaus is that whilst there might be 50kg of bikes in the back the huge locker at the front, with all that can be packed into it, glances everything nicely.

we want photos photos photos! :D

That is really good news GJ. ... and also good news for Jo that she will not have to take a saw to her caravan :thumb

That is really good news GJ. ... and also good news for Jo that she will not have to take a saw to her caravan :thumb

She's now taken the cold towel off her brow. :)

It's been a big input from Knaus, I'm on their FB page and they are under a lot of pressure from some very upset customers who are being told they will not be getting their caravans for the 2021 holidays now.

Loads when we get the van, should be around mid-march.

Carrying the bikes internally will make a big difference.

I think Knaus also may be wanting me to write a couple of articles for them that they can get published in caravan magazines.

"Now, we have this HUGE garage/locker at the front ..... big enough to take all the boxes of tunnocks wafers that Tunnocks have kindly sponsored us with".