Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Brand New VW T6.1 (Pics and Video)

It may just be me, but compared to the ordered symmetry and clean lines of the current T6 dash, that looks like a complete dogs dinner. Maybe it's seen as crisp, modern avantgarde design that today's customers are looking for, but not this one.
It just takes me time. When I first saw the T6 comfort dash (owning a T5 at the time), I thought it was a dog's dinner, but now I own one I quite like it. Ditto with the re-design of the forum!

Electric limits the California in so many ways. I just can’t see it ever working...

Plus, once we have all converted to electric the next thing will be how devastating the mining of metals for batteries are on the environment and the increased pollution from generating global electricity demands.
Umm, Spain's largest source of electricity is already wind, second solar, and that with only a tiny fraction of possible production installed...

I’m pretty sad that real instruments are being phased out and being replaced with pictures of instruments on a screen. When it’s switched off the dashboard is boring, just a blank.

I like the dashboard to look like an aircraft cockpit with buttons and dials everywhere! Preferably wood :D
Classic Jaguar, the most beautiful dashes ever made.
View attachment 42242

Umm, Spain's largest source of electricity is already wind, second solar, and that with only a tiny fraction of possible production installed...
Presumably the electric fairy will help during dark midwinter nights when the wind is too strong/absent. Long term massive grid storage capacity will eventually solve this awkward reality, until that wonderful day we are stuck with an adult somewhere firing up gas and diesel powered generators to keep us all warm and electric cars actually running.

Presumably the electric fairy will help during dark midwinter nights when the wind is too strong/absent. Long term massive grid storage capacity will eventually solve this awkward reality, until that wonderful day we are stuck with an adult somewhere firing up gas and diesel powered generators to keep us all warm and electric cars actually running.
You lost me at “fairy.” What adults are actually doing is having the conversations to get us through this transition as soon as possible. I already power my house in Barcelona with solar electric, aided by a hefty subsidy from the city. It’s a policy decision, like subsidizing electric cars. Adding the capability to store it and charge a car as well is already on the market. It’s a matter of not looking away and leaving the problem for the next generation to solve. As an adult, what have you done?

Edit: I eliminated the word Norway, since electric cars are subsidized in countries all over the world.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info on possible release date for the ID next generation California? The 6.1 seems good but not worth updating from a late T6.

Does anyone have any info on possible release date for the ID next generation California? The 6.1 seems good but not worth updating from a late T6.
From what I've read, VW had originally planned to introduce the electric Buzz (I know) around 2025, but the dieselgate disaster has made them move up the date to 2022, with the Golf replacement ID moved up to 2020. They figure if they can put the vehicles on the market as soon as possible, people would have something other to say about them than which VW exec has just gone to prison. They're serious, VW no longer has any diesel model certified for sale in the U.S. That includes Audi and Porsche.

You lost me at “fairy.” What adults are actually doing is having the conversations to get us through this transition as soon as possible. I already power my house in Barcelona with solar electric, aided by a hefty subsidy from the city. It’s a policy
decision, like Norway subsidizing electric cars. Adding the capability to store it and charge a car as well is already on the market. It’s a matter of not looking away and leaving the problem for the next generation to solve. As an adult, what have you done?
Conversations will unfortunately not solve the lack of power produced by solar at night, over 17 hours in Scotland during midwinter, or when the wind fails to blow or exceeds the safe speed.
As an adult I am taxed to pay for redundancy in the electricity system by contracting companies to provide standby generators or spinning gas turbines to make good when the inevitable hole appears in the demand curve.
Norway can afford to subsidise its domestic electric cars by selling millions of tons of gas and oil, ironic hey.
I hope the conundrum can be solved soon but the transition is likely to be a longer and more expensive than most people imagine.

I actually meant done, as opposed to being required to do. We are all dragged kicking and biting to the tax return nightmare.

Anyone else been following the updates in the Facebook pages of the other Cali accessories supplier, who are in Düsseldorf with VWCV UK on the press release of the 6.1 Beach and Ocean?

Most of it is as expected but the Beach has a twin sliding door option or a fold out worktop with single burner in the panel opposite the sliding door. Also a the beach gets a hydraulic roof option. The twin sliders will please some but can’t see the others being popular.

Some good vids of 6.1 appearing on YouTube. Looks ace. Search for Andrew Ditton.

Top bed looks comfy

Some good vids of 6.1 appearing on YouTube. Looks ace. Search for Andrew Ditton.

Top bed looks comfy

Do the videos not show the front end...?
Got to be the ugliest Transporter to date

Anyone else been following the updates in the Facebook pages of the other Cali accessories supplier, who are in Düsseldorf with VWCV UK on the press release of the 6.1 Beach and Ocean?

Most of it is as expected but the Beach has a twin sliding door option or a fold out worktop with single burner in the panel opposite the sliding door. Also a the beach gets a hydraulic roof option. The twin sliders will please some but can’t see the others being popular.
Link?

I know some here think it's all too gimmicky, but I reckon it has some nice features....

Notice the additional pockets on the back of the front seats, that pop up bed thing is nice (chaise longue) and can imagine drinking a nice G&T whilst watching a film when it's chucking it down. Change of doors and handles are ok, and like the ability to vent the fridge when it's not in use.

For Beach owners, I think the pop up kitchen seems a useful addition for some.

All in all, I reckon it's a decent upgrade and like what I've seen so far. No concerns for me on the external styling either.