Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

We gave up on the aeropress and now just take a small Nespresso machine , we also have installed a slightly larger inverter so we can use it without hook up also.

Good coffee makes our trips in the Cali just that bit more special. We always take a Nespresso Inissia and an Aeroccino milk frother. I love my coffee black but my husband prefers a latte. This works for us on EHU no chance of using the inverter as it’s 1,150-1,260watts (according to the label). We sit ours on the top above the sink. This works for us as we don’t tend to use the sink.
We used to use smart mugs when camping, a cafetière style insulated mug, lovely hot coffee but a pain to clean. Am tempted by the Aeropress for times when not on EHU but fear I may get in a mess, or perhaps I need to research some other device that will use pods...

View attachment 48026
Can I ask what the glasstop covers you have are please?
Simon.

I’ve tried a 12v handpresso - that was/is good. Pods can sometimes break open making a mess and the machine sometimes goes funny but works again after drying out (probably can call that user error!). The pods are not available in shops but can be ordered online.
This one: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I’ve tried a cafetière but it sort of makes too much coffee and is really quite messy with all the coffee grounds and used coffee grounds.

My favourite currently is the minipresso machine. You put the nesspresso pod in and boiling water and use a handpump to make the coffee. I already have nespresso pods and you can get them in most shops.

What are you using?
This one: View attachment 47894
Bialetti Moka on the gas ring, always use fresh coffee from the fridge

Good coffee makes our trips in the Cali just that bit more special. We always take a Nespresso Inissia and an Aeroccino milk frother. I love my coffee black but my husband prefers a latte. This works for us on EHU no chance of using the inverter as it’s 1,150-1,260watts (according to the label). We sit ours on the top above the sink. This works for us as we don’t tend to use the sink.
We used to use smart mugs when camping, a cafetière style insulated mug, lovely hot coffee but a pain to clean. Am tempted by the Aeropress for times when not on EHU but fear I may get in a mess, or perhaps I need to research some other device that will use pods...

View attachment 48026

Also a big fan of the Aeropress. Can't remember who, but I know it was someone on here who suggested it to me. It's only me who drinks coffee in our Cali, and I find it perfect when not on EHU. It's become a part of the morning festival ritual...that's if 2 in the afternoon is considered morning ;)x

Stainless steel cafetiere here , however top tip for those with toddlers who like warm milk. We bring the milk frother from the nespresso machine ( aldi and lidl have similar) and use that to warm the milk. Dead easy to clean !

I found a large Bialetti coffemaker in a 2nd hand shop today for only 2.20€ !
Could not resist buying...it looks so :cool: it looks as almost unused.
But i guess a bit overkill taking it in the Cali:confused:
It's the Aeropress on the left that gets to join us on trips ....
The small italian coffeemaker(it's not a Bialetti i think) on the right is for daily use at home , the french press looks nice on the table when friends are over.
Might bring the large Bialetti to the next meet so we can share a cup:D
I think almost 100gram of grind will fit thatone!
IMG_2066.JPG
Edit: been doing some searching , seems i got myself a 12cup version , retailvalue about 50€ . It weighs 1.2kg in alu so if i sell it as scrap i might double my 2,20€ :D

Last edited:
We use our Nespresso Pixie in the van whilst on hookup. But when we're not on EHU we can't use it. It uses somewehere around 1260 watts. So the inverter doesn't help. I know you can alter the Nespresso machine to work at 700 watts but that's still way too much. Wish there would be an easy way to use a Nespresso machine when not on EHU.

We use our Nespresso Pixie in the van whilst on hookup. But when we're not on EHU we can't use it. It uses somewehere around 1260 watts. So the inverter doesn't help. I know you can alter the Nespresso machine to work at 700 watts but that's still way too much. Wish there would be an easy way to use a Nespresso machine when not on EHU.

Friend (Beach) got a Nesspresso Pixi too and had this battery and converter installed:
36799eae334e8e5e2fc27b295d060896.jpg

29807bef0c58b3f61ea4e5fd81cd2ea3.jpg

thanks for the tip, much appreciated, but that's quite the investment for coffee ;-)

Get the Nanopresso with the NS adapter. Hand-operated, 18 Bars and Nespresso-compatible.
014-LD-REV1_900x.png

Last edited:
That looks like a very nice and affordable solution. However, if you cant use your regular nespresso machine because youre not on EHU, how do you get your hands on hot water? Boil water on the gas stove? Cause that kinda defeats the purpose of an easy nespresso.

That looks like a very nice and affordable solution. However, if you cant use your regular nespresso machine because youre not on EHU, how do you get your hands on hot water? Boil water on the gas stove? Cause that kinda defeats the purpose of an easy nespresso.
Yes, boil water and you're done

120ah hours at 12.8v is about 6.4 amp hours at 240v, if my maths is correct.

If a nespresso uses 1500watts power, at 240v via an inverter (which wouldnt be 100% efficient) it would be a 6.25amp draw, you pretty much would have an hour use before it was totally exhausted, assuming it can be drained down to 0%.

Assuming a machine needs 5 mins use to run, I suppose its not so bad, but expensive... I think I'll stick to an aeropress. ;)

I don't drink coffee myself, but occasionally it's required - now we carry an aeropress, but a year or two ago we camped with some unprepared Swedish friends who need their coffee - so we had to improvise.IMG_9170.JPG

Anyone fancy an AeroPress, we have these on offer at just £24.99 ( £22.49 for VIPs')

Look what i found to make coffee without gas or hook-up :D

Looks like it works with senseo pads , you could even carry it arround in your backpack while hiking...
Makita - I bet you can drill holes with it as well. Polish the Cali. And “grind” the coffee. :D

Makita - I bet you can drill holes with it as well. Polish the Cali. And “grind” the coffee. :D
How cool! How manly! The second they make one for nespresso cups, I'm parting with my money!

Presumably you've still got to charge it though.

Back