Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The pics are up

Has anyone wondered where the window blinds are? Not seen anything about blinds in any videos to date.
My immediate thought too. But since its not a finished product some of the details are a little lacking

Feels a concept in name only (as Tom says in the TG video). This is a pretty advanced state of development. The concepts we used to make were basically shells. Any knob you tried to turn would fall off in your hand. This looks nigh on finished. I’d agree that production will be dialled back a little but not a lot. Much of what you see here though feels like a 100k top spec (with a hybrid engine). The 70K version is going to look and feel a lot different.

The triangle awning is cool though. Given we already have a rail on the other side I’d buy that.
This one actually may be cheaper: https://bent-club.com/nl-nl/products/verbindbares-sonnensegel-zip-canvas-orient-design

As the manager of “internal affairs” in our Cali I’m not impressed with the seemingly impractical interior.

The sink is in a weird space. You’ll either be twisting your back or kneeling on the back seats to use it.

Not up on electrics but how will the electric hob be powered? Hookup? If not, how much battery power would it take and if it’s greedy for juice how much solar would you need?

The pull out bbq looks like something out of my granddaughter’s Barbie playhouse! It won’t look so “concept” when proper food starts getting cooked on it. It’s very small too, but with the lack of space to store your food you’ll be eating like a mouse anyway!!

Just my initial thoughts after a quick look, but not impressed so far as a practical kinda gal.

As the manager of “internal affairs” in our Cali I’m not impressed with the seemingly impractical interior.

The sink is in a weird space. You’ll either be twisting your back or kneeling on the back seats to use it.

Not up on electrics but how will the electric hob be powered? Hookup? If not, how much battery power would it take and if it’s greedy for juice how much solar would you need?

The pull out bbq looks like something out of my granddaughter’s Barbie playhouse! It won’t look so “concept” when proper food starts getting cooked on it. It’s very small too, but with the lack of space to store your food you’ll be eating like a mouse anyway!!

Just my initial thoughts after a quick look, but not impressed so far as a practical kinda gal.
Not to mention you risk dripping water onto that lovely upholstery. The hob only works on EHU, so a single burner is all you get, which is again less than ideal if like many here, you wild camp most of the time.

I’m interested in this but primarily because our 6.1 camper is regularly used for shorter journeys as a daily driver and I’m paranoid about DPF issues. So the PHEV version of this new Cali is of interest.

Having seen the early videos and photos this week, I think it looks good and there are some lovely design touches, for example, I like the open aspect of 2 sliding doors and the ability to access the kitchen facilities from outside. The pop top looks good too, I like the fact it’s electric and pretty open. However, the practicality elements raised here are valid. I don’t understand why both an induction hob and gas are used, I think a dual gas hob is more practical. Storage space does seem very limited due to the lack of cupboard space. And my wife also pointed out that after our last camping experience when small stones regularly got walked into the van, that the grooves / rails for the sliding seats could often get blocked, that could be a bit of a faff.

I’ll wait with interest to see one in the flesh to have a play and get a real feel for the practicality aspect as well as understand the pricing. However I’ll do the same with the new Ford Nugget which will also have a PHEV option, we quite like the rear kitchen set up of that and it seems quite well specified also.

On the plus side you can stand outside to cook, if it’s raining just pull the roller awning out a bit. Also makes a handy sociable bar area!

It’s not for us as far too small, more of a day van. Interior looks very nice, but not sure how durable it will be in the real world.

Like many, I am watching this thread with interest...... here is a quote from the T7 Spyshot thread that i put up........

"Dunno which thread I should place this on …….. in all cases (VW or Ford) the reality is just SO different from all the hyped up marketing! These ‘show’ vehicles are a bit like Supermodels……. Beautiful to look at but not really practical! I can’t imagine always having the roof up to have a brew for example, or standing outside to cook.

Campervans are deffo a compromise, I get that. But there are limits! "

I don’t understand why both an induction hob and gas are used, I think a dual gas hob is more practical.

Having got an induction hob at home there are some definite benefits that are very applicable to a being in a camper.

The efficiency of the heating for boiling a kettle is unmatched. The completely flat cooking surface is far safer and easier to clean. There is almost no lost heat out the sides to damage expensive trim, no nasty gasses to leak and when not in use it can be used as surface area.

If they have found a way to make it work off of the inverter/leisure battery it's a great move. The fact that there is still a gas burner for everything else is super versatile and covers inductions weak points.

I very rarely use 1 burner in my ocean let alone both. If I could retrofit an induction for boiling water off grid, I think I would.

I’ve watched the videos, and I’ve read through this thread.
I can’t believe anyone is seriously considering this van.
Not van, I mean Renault Espace with a Poptop.
Nah. This isn’t the right platform for the majority….

Seen one, been inside one...
In June, we had been camping for a week in a Tuscan campsite and two days before we left, we returned in the evening from a cycle to find four German campers arranged in a sort of wagon train circle behind us. This was in an orchard so there were a lot of trees. The two vehicles immediately behind us were a Grand 680 and an Ocean, so our view of the other two white Cali type vehicles beyond was somewhat obscured. Looked like a German boys road trip with a long table and lots of beer.
Anyway, we got chatting, primarily about the fact that we had just ordered a Grand 600 and my questions were directed about their 680 and that the 6.1 was being discontinued. The fact they said they came from Hanover didn't immediately alert me. Next day, after a few pleasantries, including chat about the fact that we'd spent the best part of three years, off and on, living out of our Cali over a ten year period, which really seemed to interest them, we headed off on our bikes again.
We came back early evening and began to pack-up, aware that some of these guys were closely monitoring us and how we packed the van. Again, some more chat about where we had travelled, how we used our vehicle, plus our little display of flags of almost thirty European countries we had visited, really interested them.
Up early to unplug electrics next morning and getting ready to leave, a couple of these guys approached and said they'd like us to join them, however on condition that we didn't subsequently divulge anything of what we were about to see, nor take any pictures.
And lo and behold, a new T7, long wheel base, hybrid California campervan - an on-the-road prototype. Could we have a look and offer any opinions? We were a bit rushed, planning to leave for Verona, so we were only able to spend less than half an hour having a look. A lot of what we thought has already been posted here.
It only had one cooker ring and a sink and fridge. We said it needed another ring, or at least an induction hob, although the Grand Cali style fridge was good. Doors both sides really limited kitchen and cupboard potential, twin rear seats limited underseat storage, table stored on rear shelf was limiting, lack of wardrobe, etc.
As I say, probably agree with a lot previously posted about lack of storage, although there was much more floor space. Bed upstairs appeared large and comfortable. The picnic chairs were definite improvement, higher backs and strengthened support bar.
We realise that we were not their primary market, as we were using our Cali for longer trips and not as an everyday vehicle. They mentioned younger, weekender type stays, a couple with two young kids as being typical. Whether our input has changed, or will change their thoughts, remains to be seen. We said our goodbyes and left.
Apologies, I could have spilled the beans before, but a promise is a promise!

I was just reading some light details of the Ford nugget 2024 wich will be sharing its platform with VW.
Most details I am fond to see is that by default if comes with an Heated Downwards bed.
Warm water in the outdoor shower and sink
Solar installed from factory.
Most of the details to be found in an Dutch webiste pointed out the VW featers like Hill assist when parink up to get it level and all other featuers will be comming to the Nugget.
Looks like Ford will be bringing out the first vans before VW.
the van looks nice to, Bether then the previous version to my liking.

I was just reading some light details of the Ford nugget 2024 wich will be sharing its platform with VW.
Most details I am fond to see is that by default if comes with an Heated Downwards bed.
Most of the details to be found in an Dutch webiste pointed out the VW featers like Hill assist when parink up to get it level and all other featuers will be comming to the Nugget.
Certainly more exciting and practical than the MultiCali. With a few VW cosmetic modifications these could be quite desirable.

But is it manufactured by Ford from start to finish?

There are a few videos up now which I've been watching closely. I like this much better than the previous version and I've always liked the dual sliding doors in the UK version, the lounge mode possible with the downstairs bed propped on the front seat and the rear kitchen. The issue for me was always that the california has such good residuals and it's competitors are never priced competitively enough to sway me. Instead of trying to fit in a gas hob, an induction hob and a grill, I'd also prefer a work surface with cupboard space to store my own preferred unit (currently an instant pot) but this streamlined approach is why I'm still in the caddy and still haven't upgraded!

We have 10 year old T5 cali and been waiting for the T7 as possible upgrade. Will be going for a T6.1 now. I knew the T7 would be more expensive, but I thought it would also be irresistible. A longer, narrower, shorter base makes for too many compromises, it is like a modern Bongo. If the multivan is such a suitable base for the T7 then why haven't we seen any multivan conversions?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
We've been doing exactly the same. T6.1 for us as well!

The t6 do not like it, fair enough. Make sense as I do not think it is the t6 replacement. There will be a transit based vw california in the california universe.

Now for people like me who tried a t6 and hated the drive, it is super exciting.

I also think the t7 cali and the ford new nugget really shows the power of vw to innovate and reinvent a concept. The sliding worktop is a work of genius. Finished the squished legs against the kitchen for the driver. Cook indoors with plenty of aeration with the door open ... serve a drink from the outside.. I am already saving for the t7 cali.

Now, the t6 replacement will also be exciting, I am sure. Just be patient and ignore the t7 if you do like it. It is not for you!

I think it looks really nice.

I would prefer the main awning on the opposite side of the kitchen like the current Cali.

Where does the double camping chair store?

No sign of integrated blinds from what I watched but sure it must have them.
I believe it’s possible to switch the awning to the other side.
The double camping chair is an option instead of the two singles. I think it stores in the same place, but it’s an either or.

But since they use the same base vehicle this should also be an good indication what the New Transporter will be like.
The same platform, which is not the same as the same base vehicle. The new VW Transporter will almost certainly look different, and if VW create a California version it won’t have anything to do with the Nugget

They mentioned younger, weekender type stays, a couple with two young kids as being typical. Whether our input has changed, or will change their thoughts, remains to be seen. We said our goodbyes and left.
Apologies, I could have spilled the beans before, but a promise is a promise!
I am this exact market and I don't think it'd work for me. Aside from the practicality aspect of where to store our things the very thought of letting them loose on that light coloured interior with gloss finishes is giving me the chills. I might start selling microfibre cloths with a little Cali logo on them, will make a killing when it's launched :)

I really cant see VW producing 2 versions concurrently of the California on a Multivan and (new) Transporter base. They are to similar in size and would confuse the California 'brand'.
Multivan Cali (almost) exists. The development & investment has been done. The base Multivan is built in Hanover alongside the California production plant (who have been told that they will continue to make/do the California conversion).
Whereas for the 'Transporter' version. The VW van base hasn't even (to my knowledge) broken cover as a render. Difficult to do (lengthy) development on a base vehicle that doesn't yet exist. The one known is that the base vehicle is to be built in the Ford Turkey plant. So the vehicles would need to be shipped from Turkey to Germany to be converted. (presumably like the Nugent Ford Westfalia version). Its not impossible to do both I agree but I cant see the good business case for VW in doing so.
What they might do is have agreements with key converters (Bilbo for example) to supply suitable transporters for conversion.

The same platform, which is not the same as the same base vehicle. The new VW Transporter will almost certainly look different, and if VW create a California version it won’t have anything to do with the Nugget

Sorry i strongly disagree.
Have a look at the caddy model 2021 and the ford toureno. Part from the manufartor badge and the front bumper they are the same.