Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The roof up or down during bad weather?

Have slept in the Cali in 95 mph gusts off Berry Head in Devon and 80mph in the Cotswolds. Did not risk the roof up on those nights so we were all snug downstairs. It was noisy but still got to sleep. Feel much happier with a roof bungee but still paranoid when closing roof. We did move off one placement at a camp site where the wind was bending a tree in a very alarming way and I feared it would snap. It was a Caravan Club site and they immediately moved other campers when I pointed it out to them. Hope you get on ok

Have slept in the Cali in 95 mph gusts off Berry Head in Devon and 80mph in the Cotswolds. Did not risk the roof up on those nights so we were all snug downstairs. It was noisy but still got to sleep. Feel much happier with a roof bungee but still paranoid when closing roof. We did move off one placement at a camp site where the wind was bending a tree in a very alarming way and I feared it would snap. It was a Caravan Club site and they immediately moved other campers when I pointed it out to them. Hope you get on ok
There are 3 of us so could not all fit in the bed. We considered one of us trying to sleep in the driver seat but glad we retreated now. Did feel a bit disloyal but better safe than sorry

For the first time we bailed from a campsite tonight. We were horribly exposed to the storm on the coast of Islay. It was horizontal rain and fierce winds of at least 40 mph and gusting way more. Forcast was that it would get worse up to 58 mph. Even though we were arse into the wind we were being shaken about like mad. We 3 left the great white whales to it and decamped to a B&B. We've survived storms before but this one was just too much. Lets hope the ferry is running tomorrow lunchtime when the winds should have dropped to less than 40 mph.

With three of you probably a wise decision.

I had all the Scottish storms of January and February, I feared Cali decapitation wild camping on the harbour car park at Lochalsh ( Skye bridge was closed).

I survived Ullapool and Ardnamurchan storms with roof down but the violent shaking of the van caused me to lose a lot of sleep.

With three of you probably a wise decision.

I had all the Scottish storms of January and February, I feared Cali decapitation wild camping on the harbour car park at Lochalsh ( Skye bridge was closed).

I survived Ullapool and Ardnamurchan storms with roof down but the violent shaking of the van caused me to lose a lot of sleep.
Particularly scary by yourself too.

I've had wind in the 40-45mph range , damage my poptop on my other camper, so my advice is drop it down to be safe. Its also a lot quieter with it down.

I've had wind in the 40-45mph range , damage my poptop on my other camper, so my advice is drop it down to be safe. Its also a lot quieter with it down.
Teenage son who sleeps up top valiantly suggested sleeping in the rotated drivers seat but we decamped anyway.
The thing is as you say. Once it's damaged it's damaged. Best just not to go there.

We are going away for a couple of days but the weather forecast is for wind above 20MPH.

Is this too windy to have the roof up?

This is a difficult question to answer.

No doubt VW have tested both types of California roof (manual and electro/hydraulic) under various extreme weather conditions. They may even offer advice on this matter although if they do I haven't read it, yet. However even if they have how do you accurately gauge wind strength without the proper apparatus?

In the end all you can do is be sensible where you park it and preferably stick the ar$e end into wind. It is more aerodynamic that way round therefore will weather the wind better. Try to pick a sheltered spot on the lee side of something large and immovable like a protective bank but not trees as large lumps may fall off in high winds. After that it is purely a question of seeing what you can put up with before you bottle it.

Personally, if it's going to be very windy then I won't put the roof up at all. Mild wind conditions are fine.

Last edited:
And once up it has to come down which can be fun in high winds.

We had ours up in the gales the other weekend without issue, we parked rear end facing the direction of the wind.
^ Agreed.

Have slept in ours in >40mph (Lake Vattern in Sweden) with no issues, just park tail into the wind. Makes access to anything in the boot entertaining!

I wouldn't park side on to high winds as the scissor mechanisms don't look like they would deal well with lateral loads.

Many thanks for your replies.

I appreciate the guidance from those who have been there!

I take on board advise to have rear end pointing towards wind direction.

20MPH doesn't sound very much, but I also know that site is on exposed ridge, So was worth asking.

Many thanks for your replies.

I appreciate the guidance from those who have been there!

I take on board advise to have rear end pointing towards wind direction.

20MPH doesn't sound very much, but I also know that site is on exposed ridge, So was worth asking.
As said. Park Tail to the wind and basically if you are thinking should I or should I not, then lower it.

However, when lowering make sure front windows are open and go very slowly. This presumes you are parked tail to the wind. If parked sideways then open the door on the Lee side and if Head On, open the tailgate.

We had one weekend earlier in the year when it was breezy but we parked tail to the wind. Everything was fine until we woke in the night as the wind had completely changed direction and we had a night of 'should be leave it up and hope it's okay or try and take it down in the dark and wind'. We chose the first option and thankfully all was okay! If high winds are forecast we drop the lid before going out or going to bed - better to be safe than sorry.

I often go kiting with 7-8 beaufort winds and stay overnight. The van shakes and you sometimes think the roof will rip apart but I never had any problem, except sleepless night because of the noise.

7 High wind,
moderate gale,
near gale 28–33 knots 13–19 ft Sea heaps up and white foam from breaking waves begins to be blown in streaks along the direction of the wind; spindrift begins to be seen Whole trees in motion; inconvenience felt when walking against the wind.
32–38 mph
50–61 km/h 4–5.5 m
13.9–17.1 m/s
8 Gale,
fresh gale 34–40 knots 18–25 ft Moderately high waves of greater length; edges of crests break into spindrift; foam is blown in well-marked streaks along the direction of the wind Twigs break off trees; generally impedes progress.

We recently camped on an exposed site with 50kph gusts. Tail to the wind of course. I was not worried about the van but the Flapping noises of the tent kept us awake...

As said. Park Tail to the wind and basically if you are thinking should I or should I not, then lower it.

However, when lowering make sure front windows are open and go very slowly. This presumes you are parked tail to the wind. If parked sideways then open the door on the Lee side and if Head On, open the tailgate.

Window open yes but when windy make sure it is only the downwind window or the wind pressure will be trying to blow the bellows out when you need them to be coming in.

Wouldn’t bat an eyelid at 20mph. Camped a couple of times up to 50mph wind (max gusts) no problem at all, Think rear of van facing wind is preferable.

Window open yes but when windy make sure it is only the downwind window or the wind pressure will be trying to blow the bellows out when you need them to be coming in.
That’s what I said.:thumb

As there are only two of us, we usually bring the roof down at night because of the noise, and because it's cosier. It has stayed up in gusty winds that must have been much more than 20mph - once I left it up as I thought it was going to be too difficult to bring down with the dark and the rain.

I tend to treat the roof in the same way as sails on a boat. Get it down before its going to be problem.

We camped at the tan Hill in through some ferocious cross winds. Must have been 70mph gusts. Biggest issue was it keeping us awake. Van was unscathed.

Back