Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The roof up or down during bad weather?

i had some days of heavy mistral blowing in the south of france .
just wondering what are the 'signs' it is time to lower the roof and move to the bed down ?

When the thought of how much a new roof is going to cost you starts keeping you awake :bananadance2Sorry not very helpful I know but as useful as the vehicle manual is on this one!

i had some days of heavy mistral blowing in the south of france .
just wondering what are the 'signs' it is time to lower the roof and move to the bed down ?
Well before you think it will be difficult to get it down without damage! I tend to think of I like a sail a lot safer to be cautious and reduce sail before you’re forced to ... keep an eye on the forecast and note the predicted “gusts up to” figure.

Generally I face the rear of roof into the wind to minimise sideways movement. I personally wouldnt exceed 40mph and would probably drop it around 25mph but other folks may disagree.

When the thought of how much a new roof is going to cost you starts keeping you awake :bananadance2Sorry not very helpful I know but as useful as the vehicle manual is on this one!

indeed, that's why i am asking

parking the tail in the direction of the blowing wind is not always the solution, as wind might be 'swirling' in all directions in a valley or when trees:/ objects nearby

As MattBW and ArunAlec say it is better to get the roof down before the wind makes it difficult to do, I know I have caught the bellows fabric in the struts trying to lower the roof in heavy wind on Isle Arun last October.

indeed, that's why i am asking

parking the tail in the direction of the blowing wind is not always the solution, as wind might be 'swirling' in all directions in a valley or when trees:/ objects nearby
I work on the premise that if I’m asking myself that question, Should I , Shouldn’t I, then down it comes. Same with the awning.

I camp in Snowdonia for 8 weeks a year and last week was the first one that I have had the roof up the whole time since November. In March the wind was 50-60mph every night and I couldn't have the roof up at all overnight. It was more than that in Capel Curig only a few miles North of where I stay. I try to turn the rear into the wind but it is often very gusty, but when I feel the van beginning to sway in the wind, the size of the bill to repair it plus the amount of hassle, makes me lower it. I have had some quite exciting bed moving in the early hours of the morning when the wind has got up unexpectedly.
I am now guided by the BBC weather app. They may not be brilliant at getting the weather spot on, there are a lot of small micro climate areas around Porthmadog, but the wind speed forecast seems to be pretty close. When the wind speed is recorded in black I usually take notice and put the roof down.

Silly question maybe but what about times when strong winds and 4 sleeping (2 upstairs) ?

Also its windy and you lower the roof make sure that you have windows/door open on the opposite side to the wind otherwise the wind will blow air into the roof and the bellows wont fold up correctly.

I camp in Snowdonia for 8 weeks a year and last week was the first one that I have had the roof up the whole time since November. In March the wind was 50-60mph every night and I couldn't have the roof up at all overnight. It was more than that in Capel Curig only a few miles North of where I stay. I try to turn the rear into the wind but it is often very gusty, but when I feel the van beginning to sway in the wind, the size of the bill to repair it plus the amount of hassle, makes me lower it. I have had some quite exciting bed moving in the early hours of the morning when the wind has got up unexpectedly.
I am now guided by the BBC weather app. They may not be brilliant at getting the weather spot on, there are a lot of small micro climate areas around Porthmadog, but the wind speed forecast seems to be pretty close. When the wind speed is recorded in black I usually take notice and put the roof down.
Off topic, but where do you camp in Snowdonia? We go most years walking with the kids but our usual site, Cae Du in Beddgelert, isn't open this year for some reason. Don't like the forest site in Bedgelert. Any recommends for a good site, ideally in walking distance of a decent pub/village, gratefully received!

Back on topic, bottled it as the wind picked up through 40kts up at Scourie doing the NC500 at Easter. Lowered very carefully with 1 on each corner to make sure the bellows didn't blow out. The German Beach over the way followed suit in short order when his roof started to visibly twist in the gusts, must have been gusting well over 40kts by then, but the roof doesn't appear as sturdy as the Ocean with the metal arms though. But cheaper to fix if it goes wrong, I suspect! Slept 4 downstairs that night, remarkably comfortable. Me and Mrs KB on the bed with daughter top to tail in between. Son across the 2 front seats with some cushions in the gap. He reported the best nights sleep ever!

Silly question maybe but what about times when strong winds and 4 sleeping (2 upstairs) ?
It’ll be very cosy downstairs.
The roof Up will probably take a lot more than you expect. All depends on whose paying the Bill. It certainly won’t be VW.

Not so bad in a Beach bed. In the Ocean the only way I can imagine doing it would be two people in reclined front seats and two in the bed.

One rainy afternoon in Pompeii we had four of us in the roof bed watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but the boys were only 2 & 3.

Off topic, but where do you camp in Snowdonia? We go most years walking with the kids but our usual site, Cae Du in Beddgelert, isn't open this year for some reason. Don't like the forest site in Bedgelert. Any recommends for a good site, ideally in walking distance of a decent pub/village, gratefully received!

Back on topic, bottled it as the wind picked up through 40kts up at Scourie doing the NC500 at Easter. Lowered very carefully with 1 on each corner to make sure the bellows didn't blow out. The German Beach over the way followed suit in short order when his roof started to visibly twist in the gusts, must have been gusting well over 40kts by then, but the roof doesn't appear as sturdy as the Ocean with the metal arms though. But cheaper to fix if it goes wrong, I suspect! Slept 4 downstairs that night, remarkably comfortable. Me and Mrs KB on the bed with daughter top to tail in between. Son across the 2 front seats with some cushions in the gap. He reported the best nights sleep ever!

I volunteer on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland so I camp in a field near the railway hostel, only open to volunteers I'm afraid. https://www.festrail.co.uk/pdf/camping_fwhr_2019.pdf This is a leaflet that the railway has put together of sites around the area.
Snowdonia Parc near Waunfawr station isn't bad. It's in a field next to a micro brewery, the steam railway runs along the bottom of the site. The Forest Camp site is changing to a chalet based site with a few touring pitches.
I'm sure there are a few more sites near Cae Du which I've passed when walking round there.
On the A496 there is the Barcdy Caravan & Camping Park which is nice, but bit of a walk to a village.
Hope this helps
Simon

I volunteer on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland so I camp in a field near the railway hostel, only open to volunteers I'm afraid. https://www.festrail.co.uk/pdf/camping_fwhr_2019.pdf This is a leaflet that the railway has put together of sites around the area.
Snowdonia Parc near Waunfawr station isn't bad. It's in a field next to a micro brewery, the steam railway runs along the bottom of the site. The Forest Camp site is changing to a chalet based site with a few touring pitches.
I'm sure there are a few more sites near Cae Du which I've passed when walking round there.
On the A496 there is the Barcdy Caravan & Camping Park which is nice, but bit of a walk to a village.
Hope this helps
Simon
Brilliant, thank you Simon.

Currently in Horncliffe, near Berwick on Teeed and gusts predicted of 60 mph tonight. Took the drive away awning down this afternoon as decided it was defo too precarious. Me, hubby and our big black Labrador will be squeezed into the downstairs bed tonight.

5A097373-3CE5-4265-983F-09DD5202726C.jpeg

My suggestion would be roof down otherwise you might loose it.
I've never heard of one going but I've been in 60mph winds in Snowdonia and the van is rocking & shaking till you lower it. I lost the Silver Screen off the windscreen one night!

In 60mph I would lower it for sure, it would be unpleasantly noisy even if the roof was unharmed, In lower winds I face the rear into the wind.

Not expecting high winds for our first trip away in the new van but my contingency plan for dropping the roof at night is a 4 season, 2 man tent! I know I can put it up in strong winds, in lashing rain and in the dark because I’ve done it several times ;) and lives in the van anyway. The others can sleep in the van, I love tents in horrible weather!

In West Wales recently we had gusting wind the forecasters reckoned would be up to 50 mph, steady wind speed 25 mph. I slept in the drive-away awning (Vango Kela TC - with internal and external storm straps deployed), my wife in the van. We did drop the pop top though. Not much sleep - in the awning or the van, but the awning was fine.

Well the gusts were 59 km/h, we ended up taking the awning (Vango Palm) down as one of the guy rings broke and it looked like others might go. It was a pretty exposed pitch so seemed the sensible option and given others on the site were experiencing damaged/snapped poles.

Our (limited) observation has been that poled awnings are less resilient than air beam types - the latter sway / bounce a bit, but ( so far ) don’t snap. On the stormy night in Llyn, we saw damage to 2 caravan poled awnings.

Back